2180 replies to this topic

#2141 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2022 - 06:46 PM

WOW! What a crack and incredible place! Are those quartz veins running through granite?

A

• rockyfungus likes this

#2142 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:34 PM

https://www.nps.gov/...re/minerals.htm

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#2143 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2022 - 01:49 AM

IMG_20221109_163624847_HDR.1.jpg

All right Pharmer, this one is for you :)

Edited by Juthro, 10 November 2022 - 04:57 AM.

• ElPirana likes this

#2144 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2022 - 07:47 AM

Rocky

Is that Utah?

#2145 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:27 PM

Rocky

Is that Utah?

If you click on the link he left it shows some of the geology of Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado......

• rockyfungus likes this

#2146 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2022 - 09:20 PM

Ah, thank you Juthro, not awake at that early hour

I've been through Gunnison and had no idea that geology was there. The whole area is most photogenic.

Man, I had a whole different mental picture of a shrink wrapped RV  :blush:

That looks like what I do for my beehives for the winter

• Skywatcher, Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#2147 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:04 PM

I can't wrap my hand around geology. I guess 2 volcanos were on either side of the river North and South. The river was able to cut through this Gunnison Uplift and formed a crazy canyon. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 11 November 2022 - 11:08 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#2148 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2022 - 01:22 AM

It's a really heavy plastic that is shrunk using propane fired heat guns.  It's placed over a 2x4 frame on the roof to give it a peak so that the snow can slide off of. It also has straps that attach to the frame under the RV.

It's quite a popular service up here for boats, and RV's that don't have covered storage for winter.   The oil companies also use it a lot for their equipment.  It's pretty heavy duty, and is set up so you can get in all the doors, and you can drive with on at highway speeds.  It's tough stuff.  A friend of ours has been using it to winterize his boat for almost 20 years, and his boat is in great shape for it's age, I think this stuff works really well.   The only downside I can think of is it is a bit pricey.

Does anyone is snow country in the lower 48 know if this is a thing down there?  I've never seen the service anywhere but here, but to be fair where I used to live in Oregon didn't have very harsh winters.

#2149 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2022 - 01:26 AM

I can't wrap my hand around geology. I guess 2 volcanos were on either side of the river North and South. The river was able to cut through this Gunnison Uplift and formed a crazy canyon. 

Geology fascinates me.   I wish I understood it better, and knew more....

Nice picture, BTW

• Skywatcher likes this

#2150 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2022 - 08:53 AM

Oh yes, we live in lake country and most boats and pontoon craft get shrink wrapped

But its the whole boat

Ergo my mental picture of your RV being shrunk all the way down to the fenders

Happy Trails in your RV btw.  Think of the photo ops that will make possible.

#2151 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2022 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, you can get the RV wrapped all the way like they do with boats, but the 'shower cap' method makes it so you can still drive it.  It's pretty common to see them like that up here.

Thanks for well wishes on it's travels, I do hope to go places and see things with it.... and you know that means I'll be taking pictures while I'm doing it.

• Skywatcher likes this

#2152 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:37 AM

A bald eagle stopped by today and was hunting the squirrels next to the lake.   It was here most of the day, I would say about 4 or 5 hours.   Kind of unusual behavior for an eagle to stay that long, but I enjoyed the show.   There are not many birds left up here this time of year, we've got the eagles, magpies, and gray jays (some people call them camp robbers).  Pretty much everything else has left for the winter.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0123r.1.jpg
  • DSC_0116r.1.jpg

• Skywatcher, ElPirana, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#2153 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:02 PM

oh yeah, I like the eagle on the stump

it's very different than most eagle pics, almost like he was letting you be part of his day

#2154 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:27 PM

Snow blanketed wind swept plains, coulee's and hills 

till You cant See No more

road focus

Big Sky

Sorry I think we went over this before but I forgot

I cant seem to figure this resolution game out. Always seem to lose that little bit of clarity in the image when I upload and view it on the site

Am I better of taking my snap shots with a specific resolution and then uploading or is that going to work the same as uploading a higher res and then having is shrunk down a bit. 

What I am saying does it even make sense? pretty clueless here

• Skywatcher, Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#2155 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:06 PM

I don't pretend to know a solid answer, but I'll share the way I generally do my pics.  For me I'm shooting with my DLSR, and that gives me original pics with a resolution of 6000x4000 in NEF format.  First I use Photoshop make whatever adjustments I would like, and convert them to JPEG. I then use MS Paint to reduce them to 800x533 for sharing here.  I've always had some loss of clarity doing that.   I don't know how to get around that. 

I have no idea how to manipulate the pics taken with a phone, sorry about that

I don't think that was much help for you, but for the record I still think you are posting nice pics.  

Edited by Juthro, 19 November 2022 - 12:36 AM.

• Skywatcher and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2156 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2022 - 09:26 AM

I always get a loss of detail, color, etc when uploading anywhere but a place with software dedicated to showing photos accurately - faithfully to the file you've uploaded

When mycotopia was set up,  I'll bet $1000.00 of Juthro's money,  it was not set up to show photos but to display text.

There are other things that affect how your file is seen. For example: you edit on your home machine monitor which is likely set up to (insert computer company name here)  standard color and sharpness scheme that works for most people VIEWING in the digital realm. It is not set up for people editing and uploading files to high class photo sites and printing companies. Basically out of the box computer equipment is the equivalent of a cheap suit, not bad for your first job, but not what you wear to the celebrity ball.   If you were to send your pics to a high class printer you'd probably be very disappointed with the outcome because you've not calibrated your monitor to the software at the high class printer (or to the software here on mycotopia). AAAAAAAAANNNNNNND  out of the box monitors are not intended for photography at all. You have to upgrade to get one worth having. 

It starts getting very anally uptight with all the technical poop you have to learn and adhere to for really pretty prints or digital displays.

Cell phone hardware and  software is another whole topic.

And........... files intended to be viewed only online, not printed, should be adjusted a bit for brightness and contrast just because there's that much difference between print and electronic media.

So don't feel too awful about your pics. I don't love the way mine look here but love them at home.

Not that I'm complaining. For what we pay  for membership I'm bloody grateful mycotopia is here at all.

Juthro, does your copy of Photoshop not have Camera Raw Editor? It's a whole lot easier and faster than PS for edits of exposure, color, sharp, contrast, etc etc   It has about a ten minute learning curve compared to all the frikin' rules in PS.

Rooster, if you're serious about taking good pics you'll have to upgrade to a DSLR or mirrorless.  DSLR is relatively cheap these days. Good used DSLR is everywhere at bargain prices because mirrorless tech is muscling its' way into dominance.  Mirrorless is definitely more expensive but worth it if you can afford it and are into convenience and capability in your equipment. I'll go mirrorless the first time either of my DSLR's stop working right.

Edited by pharmer, 19 November 2022 - 09:47 AM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2157 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2022 - 06:25 PM

I do use the PS RAW editor first for almost all of my photos.   At that point sometimes I will run one through PS to put a little more polish on it.

It depends a lot on how lazy I'm feeling, and what my goal for the picture is.  Like is it just something that I thought was cool, and I just want to share it online, or is it something I'm trying cleanup to turn it into a print.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#2158 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2022 - 01:26 PM

Taking a bath in some melt water down next to the edge of the lake.  This is the same spot I caught the eagle.   It's one of the spots around the lake that often have a small patch of melt drainage from the hill above it, and many of the critters around the lake know to go there to look for liquid water when most everything else is frozen.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0137r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 21 November 2022 - 01:29 PM.

• Skywatcher, ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2159 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2022 - 05:18 PM

Hmmm well thanks for the responses its good to know that its not some simple newbie mistake. I should try playing around with some editing software just for fun, see what mess I can make of it

The other day I was cleaning my garage and found and old sony digital camera from probably back in 2010 or something like that. The battery was corroded and I have no idea if it even works anymore. It was a bit of a grim reminder to any of my thoughts of buying a dedicated camera again. 

I see your point about equipment, sounds like I am perusing a level of perfection that will take more commitment than I am willing to put forth. 

Its nice to have dreams though

So I will add that one to the list right along side the telescope 

In this case It seems I should be content with what I have for now, thanks Gents

• Juthro likes this

#2160 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:03 AM

The cold weather makes for clear skies.  Had a good view of Jupiter close to the moon tonight, but I haven't mortgaged the house yet to get that super telephoto lens Pharmer keeps telling me I need, so the best I could capture with my camera was the moon.

post-136504-0-38824900-1669968184.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0194r.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 December 2022 - 03:04 AM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!