#241 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

I think you're probably right Pharmer.  I'll keep trying to improve, but I think it's one of those is more about the path then the destination things.

Well, for today I going to stick with what I know how to do already...   It's the first rodeo of the season here, and I'm going to try and get me some bull shots :)  I'll have to see what the weather is like, I may decide to leave the camera at home, my D5500 is not weather sealed.

If all goes well, I may even get lunch, and a beer (or two) from the brewery while we are in town. Have to wait and see, it's the start of summer and lots of tourists are showing up, sometimes I have to adjust to this in stages, lol. 

• onediadem likes this

#242 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

If anyone here remembers some of my pics from last year, when a bull rider got hung up and ended up busting a spur off on the ass end of a bull.  It made for a great action shot, but left you feeling sorry for the bull.

It seems that the bull hadn't forgotten the incident, and this time he got even. 

post-136504-0-96407100-1559524917.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0318r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 June 2019 - 10:14 PM.

• crazy1, Skywatcher, Needles and 3 others like this

#243 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

Wow. Awesome photo! Looks like a nut shot.. From the bull, not your camera lol.

• mushit and Juthro like this

#244 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:38 AM

I don't blame the bull, payback is a bitch. 

I found last year's pic in my archive from july of last year.

Think about how hard this cowboy had to kick to lift the bull off the ground this far...... (jk :)

post-136504-0-26640200-1559540281.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0180 (1).jpg

Edited by Juthro, 03 June 2019 - 12:40 AM.

• onediadem, crazy1, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#245 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,976 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

Thanks Juthro,

Thanks for the emphatic pain I now feel in the nether regions... 

• Juthro likes this

#246 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,730 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:51 AM

That's obviously the same bull in both shots, and I do remember the pain addled expressions from last year. What do they call this bull ? 

It ought to have a name like "The Destroyer"  or something............

Great action shots Juthro !

• onediadem, crazy1 and Juthro like this

#247 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:39 AM

I wonder if those boys understand that what they are doing can be dangerous?

• Juthro likes this

#248 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

I wonder if those boys understand that what they are doing can be dangerous?

Are you implying that he has more balls than brains, even after this unfortunate accident? ;)

The next scheduled bull rider, who was already suited up and sitting on his bull in another shoot, changed his mind.  He untied his hand, got up off the bull, and left, lol.  According to the announcer it would have been his second ride ever, the first was the day before on Saturday, and it lasted all of 1 second.

I felt bad for the guy, as he had froze up and refused to nod to the guy who opens the shoot gate. A couple of other cowboys tried to talk him through it, but his fears got the better of him and he walked away.  He was quite emotional when he climbed off the bull.   

But to be fair, you could never talk me into sitting on one in the shoot, let alone try to ride them.

@Sky:   I'll try and lookup the bulls name, I think it might be "Icehouse".    I'm not 100%  on that though, I might be mixing his name up with another bull.

Edited by Juthro, 03 June 2019 - 03:26 PM.

• mushit, onediadem, crazy1 and 1 other like this

#249 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

I think that bull's name is Eric Cartman.

hey-ill-kick-you-square-in-the-nuts.jpg

A couple of other cowboys tried to talk him through it, but his fears got the better of him and he walked away.

I think that guy actually started to understand what I was just talking about.  I have real hope for that man. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 June 2019 - 04:24 PM.

• mushit, crazy1 and Juthro like this

#250 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:49 AM

Here is a pic that I edited by inspiration from Needles :) 

I'm not much of a horse guy, I much prefer engine powered things, lol.  They don't eat or shit in the garage when I'm not running them.

But I admire your business model, and I feel its more than just business with you, its a path you wanted to pursue anyway.   A life you wanted to live

I hope I'm not being presumptuous , but that's what I see.

So before I get too cute for my own good I  will share the only other pic from this last rodeo that I thought was worth sharing.

post-136504-0-50626200-1559627313.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0299 4needles.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 04 June 2019 - 12:50 AM.

• onediadem, crazy1 and Skywatcher like this

#251 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,274 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:29 AM

Here is a pic that I edited by inspiration from Needles :) 

I'm not much of a horse guy, I much prefer engine powered things, lol.  They don't eat or shit in the garage when I'm not running them.

But I admire your business model, and I feel its more than just business with you, its a path you wanted to pursue anyway.   A life you wanted to live

I hope I'm not being presumptuous , but that's what I see.

So before I get too cute for my own good I  will share the only other pic from this last rodeo that I thought was worth sharing.
//<![CDATA[
(function(){for(var g="function"==typeof Object.defineProperties?Object.defineProperty:function(b,c,a){if(a.get||a.set)throw new TypeError("ES3 does not support getters and setters.");b!=Array.prototype&&b!=Object.prototype&&(b[c]=a.value)},h="undefined"!=typeof window&&window===this?this:"undefined"!=typeof global&&null!=global?global:this,k=["String","prototype","repeat"],l=0;l<k.length-1;l++){var m=k[l];m in h||(h[m]={});h=h[m]}var n=k[k.length-1],p=h[n],q=p?p:function(b){var c;if(null==this)throw new TypeError("The 'this' value for String.prototype.repeat must not be null or undefined");c=this+"";if(0>b||1342177279<b)throw new RangeError("Invalid count value");b|=0;for(var a="";b;)if(b&1&&(a+=c),b>>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0<c){for(var a=Array©,d=0;d<c;d++)a[d]=b[d];return a}return[]};function w(b){var c=window;if(c.addEventListener)c.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(c.attachEvent)c.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=c.onload;c.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var x;function y(b,c,a,d,e){this.h=b;this.j=c;this.l=a;this.f=e;this.g={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.i=d;this.b={};this.a=[];this.c={}}function z(b,c){var a,d,e=c.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.c))if(0>=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d<c.length;++d)a=a.concat(v(document.getElementsByTagName(c[d])));if(a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(d=0;c=a[d];++d)z(b,c);a="oh="+b.l;b.f&&(a+="&n="+b.f);if(c=!!b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),d=1;d<b.a.length;++d){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[d]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...lse,FEL6HerH260');
//]]>post-136504-0-50626200-1559627313.jpg

This is a good example of a working cow horse. When the guy asked his horse to stop, it did and slid with its back legs and butt down. It's called a reining stop. Some really good horses can slide over twenty feet and pull themselves along with their front legs. Its very impressive how some can work cattle the way they do.
Your action photos are looking real good. Nice and sharp with plenty of depth of field. Once again, awesome pix.
  • Juthro likes this

#252 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Cold this morning, and this doe just stood in this spot for the longest time, soaking up the sunlight.

post-131808-0-85894600-1559663257.jpg

And  this lady squirrel has become just about totally tame.  She shows signs that she's nursing young ones.  I cannot believe how much she eats.

post-131808-0-42391200-1559663283.jpg

IMG_2526.JPG IMG_2528.JPG

Edited by Alder Logs, 04 June 2019 - 10:52 AM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Skywatcher and 4 others like this

#253 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

I forget how small deer are, she looks like she feels pretty safe where she is at, and that squirrel is just cuter than hell.

Is that a himalayan blackberry patch behind the doe? 

• crazy1 and SteampunkScientist like this

#254 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

That squirrel is precious Alder. We have invasive rodent squirrels here. They were so bad wiring had to be replaced. 

• Alder Logs likes this

#255 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

The big gray city squirrels are twenty miles from here, but they seem to stay in town.  The Douglas red squirrel is on the threatened list last I heard.  I think that because our little area is not being repeatedly clearcut (our little 30 acre stand is around a hundred years old--only cut once), the habitat loss that has taken them down isn't applying here.

Edited by Alder Logs, 05 June 2019 - 10:47 AM.

• onediadem likes this

#256 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

I kind of dropped the ball on this one.  These pics could have turned out better, but I still had my camera settings set up for the really bright light of the rodeo.

I was able to adjust some with photoshop to bring it back, but the pictures suffered for it.  I could have done better.  I hate screwing up rare action shots....

Ow well, I guess I should be happy with what I got.  Anyway, this is a medium sized bald eagle (I would guess 'tween 5 & 5 1/2 foot wingspan) that came over the lake today to hunt for baby ducks.  A pair of arctic terns were able to harass it enough that he didn't get anything.  But he sure is impressive to watch.

post-136504-0-30202500-1559759807.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0343r.1.jpg
  • DSC_0344r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 05 June 2019 - 01:39 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Skywatcher and 4 others like this

#257 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

He hasn't quite grown out of his boyhood knickers yet.  I don't think I have ever seen one fledged like that.  The tail feathers are not pure white, and the line between white and brown on the neck is not crisp.  Still has the white flecks of a juvenile.   Actually, that all looks really far out.

• Juthro likes this

#258 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

You are correct sir, it is a young adult and is still molting into its adult colors. Its a very gradual change in the birds as they grow, so you see lots of variation. 

Here is another example, this pic was taken from the Homer spit.

post-136504-0-14288000-1559769316.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0090.2.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 05 June 2019 - 04:16 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#259 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,867 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

Awesomeness!   It looks great especially if saved from a really bad file. We can't always be pre-setup for wildlife on the move pics.

'bout time Alaska started serving up the goodies to you

Edited by pharmer, 05 June 2019 - 04:18 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1 and Juthro like this

#260 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

Awesomeness!   It looks great especially if saved from a really bad file. We can't always be pre-setup for wildlife on the move pics.

'bout time Alaska started serving up the goodies to you

Thanks Pharmer,  I shot the pic at 1/3200 sec on the shutter, with an ISO of 160, f/ 5.6  (I was in shutter priority, with manual ISO control turned on).

This is what the shot looked like  pre PS

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0343 mistake.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!