#481 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

Thank you Pharmer, I have been working more with layers and I am getting better results these days, but for Alders pic I just did a down and dirty adjustment of a single layer.

I tweaked the exposure down a little, added as much sharpness as I could before noise became a problem, took away some shadows, and then ran it through a pair of filters.  One to remove haze, and the other to counter some motion blur.   And then I just copied and pasted some greenery over the tents(?) on the lower left edge.

The bare section of ridgeline in the background that was overexposed in the master was brought back mostly with adjustments to the highlights.  It did a fair job, and didn't counteract the shadow reduction I had done in the darker sections around the trees to much.  It turned out better then I had hoped it would.

But now that you mention it, it would have been a good candidate for layers,  I might go back and try again that way, and see if I can get any better results.

Edited by Juthro, 27 August 2019 - 01:12 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#482 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

Once you've done layers a couple times and get comfortable with the concept it WILL change the way you shoot. And once we get competent in the layers we will be truly dangerous competition for the big boys.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#483 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:21 AM

As always, I bow to your wisdom sensei.  You have never given advice that was unsound, and I respect your words greatly.

Thank you.  (I haven't found resources that works well for me yet, but I'm still looking.  As you know PS is sometimes counterintuitive.) 

About 30min ago (enough time for me to do a quick wash, and primp in PS) we had a moose visiter on the pond.  So for your enjoyment we have Mr Moose, eating some lilies (I can't help it if he leaves his mouth open when he chews....)

post-136504-0-58848500-1566969625.jpg

DSC_0619r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 28 August 2019 - 12:29 AM.

• Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#484 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:49 AM

All opinions are welcome, do people like this pic, or the previous posts pic better.

Its hard to remain objective when you do all your own editing, so I think any expressed opinions in advance.

post-136504-0-70733200-1566971362.jpg

r.2.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 28 August 2019 - 12:50 AM.

• crazy1 and Alder Logs like this

#485 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:37 AM

DAYUM!!! found this while not sleeping tonight

[Direct Link]

never going to bitch about the price of lenses again. the video makes a big deal about the glass, as it should, but look at all the milling of aluminum and who knows what else that has to be done right, nevermind the dust free environment etc etc etc etc

and for as hard, tedious, technical, and just plain awesome all this is ......   imagine having to disassemble and diagnose a lens returned for service?????

Edited by pharmer, 28 August 2019 - 08:01 AM.

#486 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:57 AM

simply reversing a lens turns it into a macro lens. Adapter rings used to be available for the big name lenses so you could screw the lens backward onto the camera body.

I haven't gone looking for an adapter for many years but you'd think they'd be popular enough to keep making them. They're a cheap workaround an otherwise pricey new lens.

Maybe Needles or Steampunk can crank some out in their mad scientist labs :)

here we go

the no-bullshit lowdown on how to do it - and surprisingly inexpensive, complete with a link to the doo-dad vendor

my only problem with this whole reversal ring idea is having to focus by moving your body/or camera back and forth to focus. seems very very iffy that you'll be able to get what you want focused unless the camera and the subject have been immobilized.

Edited by pharmer, 28 August 2019 - 07:43 AM.

• Skywatcher and WanderingWildcrafter like this

#487 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

[Direct Link]

for Juthro and I and anybody else who shoot Nikons

I struggle with this all the time and have just defaulted to accepting what I can make work. This guy has done the leg work and solves a couple problems it would have taken months of experimenting and living in the very unhelpful manual that comes with the camera.

anyway, almost everybody online who's doing youtubes on how to shoot better consistently recommends shooting in aperature priority mode. I try it frequently by usually run into exactly the problems he's fixed for us in the linked video.

Edited by pharmer, 28 August 2019 - 07:58 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#488 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:35 PM

Very cool, Pharmer.  I now have a much better handle on using auto ISO to my advantage.  Thanks for the link.

EDIT:   My work around this to date had been to turn the auto ISO off, and with the Fn button and the thumb dial, set my ISO manually. 

So if my shutter speed was coming out too low, I would crank the ISO up some.  But this is a way cooler and faster method that  the video shows.  It lets the 'auto' work in a much more intuitive manner,  thank you again for sharing that tidbit of knowledge, it's a lesson that I will surely benefit from over, and over.

Edited by Juthro, 28 August 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#489 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

I really wish I could figure out my camera. Actually, I wish I had the time to devote to it. I am hoping that I can dedicate more time to it soon. Sort of a waste to have all this equipment that I haven't gotten around to using. You all take some amazing photos!

• Juthro likes this

#490 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

I know its not everybody's cup of tea, but I find I enjoy stylizing my pics.  I think this one came out with a 'paint by numbers' feel to it.

post-136504-0-44188000-1567798091.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0619r.2.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 06 September 2019 - 02:29 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#491 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,281 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

I know its not everybody's cup of tea, but I find I enjoy stylizing my pics.  I think this one came out with a 'paint by numbers' feel to it.

//<![CDATA[
(function(){for(var g="function"==typeof Object.defineProperties?Object.defineProperty:function(b,c,a){if(a.get||a.set)throw new TypeError("ES3 does not support getters and setters.");b!=Array.prototype&&b!=Object.prototype&&(b[c]=a.value)},h="undefined"!=typeof window&&window===this?this:"undefined"!=typeof global&&null!=global?global:this,k=["String","prototype","repeat"],l=0;l<k.length-1;l++){var m=k[l];m in h||(h[m]={});h=h[m]}var n=k[k.length-1],p=h[n],q=p?p:function(b){var c;if(null==this)throw new TypeError("The 'this' value for String.prototype.repeat must not be null or undefined");c=this+"";if(0>b||1342177279<b)throw new RangeError("Invalid count value");b|=0;for(var a="";b;)if(b&1&&(a+=c),b>>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0<c){for(var a=Array©,d=0;d<c;d++)a[d]=b[d];return a}return[]};function w(b){var c=window;if(c.addEventListener)c.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(c.attachEvent)c.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=c.onload;c.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var x;function y(b,c,a,d,e){this.h=b;this.j=c;this.l=a;this.f=e;this.g={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.i=d;this.b={};this.a=[];this.c={}}function z(b,c){var a,d,e=c.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.c))if(0>=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d<c.length;++d)a=a.concat(v(document.getElementsByTagName(c[d])));if(a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(d=0;c=a[d];++d)z(b,c);a="oh="+b.l;b.f&&(a+="&n="+b.f);if(c=!!b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),d=1;d<b.a.length;++d){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[d]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...lse,aYEL74IMTB0');
//]]>post-136504-0-44188000-1567798091.jpg

Work seems to get in the way of so much lol..... I have missed a lot in the past two months, can't say I haven't snapped a ton of pix just wish it could be more photos of general interest.

I had to chime in on this pix Juthro, filtering digital media is today like dodge n burn to black and white film photography of the 60s, 70s and 80s... It's a art, one that express your feelings for the image and the way you want to portray it. I would say keep snapping away at all that wildlife you have in your backyard and present it in a way that you feel it looks best to you. It's looking very good to me!!!!

There is a photoshop plug in from Digital Anarchy called ToonIt. I bought it and added it to our photo program back in the 90s. A very cool ad on that gives you many different effects to choose from. Worth taking a look at.....

I would also like to elaborate on the macro photography that I have been missing out of here on Topia. Micro n Macro photography is neer n deer to my heart. Hopefully I can help out with some of my experience in the field. One of my favorite lenses is the nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR auto focus. It's a awesome piece of equipment. With today's software and focus stacking options it's a great investment to get up close n personal extremely sharp focus photos.....

#492 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

It's always good to see, and hear from you Needles.  I greatly appreciate your insight, and views my friend :)

• Needles likes this

#493 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

ya, gitcher arse back in here. I've been slacking off due to moving into a new house.

lots of new peeps though with good venues and good ideas

anyway, Juthro, I keep thinking I see complementary color schemes in there but when looking at it closely it's just an illusion. Somebody with a ton of time on his hands could use a brush tool to add complementary outlines to features in the pic he'd like to highlight. somebody with a ton of time..........   :)

Edited by pharmer, 06 September 2019 - 08:27 PM.

#494 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:59 PM

Sorry, but Pharmers mention of complementary colors reminded of this joke, and since we all know I have no impulse control here it is :)

post-136504-0-56875000-1567828753.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• O0JNEiaa34oWOcPGrlFLdZdN3pOwOpo42Y8qFkiGD1M.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 06 September 2019 - 11:00 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#495 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

photo relevant content at 1:52          in case you haven't spent all your money yet            

[Direct Link]

the rest is beekeeper stuff

• onediadem likes this

#496 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:02 PM

You will notice the similarity of this pic, to one I took a year or two ago.   It is because that spot is very friendly to dragonflies that want to sun themselves and dry off, and it happens to also be part of my back porch, so I don't even have to put on shoes to go outside and take the pic.

This was the only pic I was able to take before he flew off.  I think I moved in on him too fast and spooked him.

post-136504-0-81079400-1567987360.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0634r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 08 September 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Skywatcher and 6 others like this

#497 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,873 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

The only similarity I see is they are both beautifully detailed photos of Dragonflys.

Love the softness of the eyes, contrasted against the sharp body hair and legs.

A small detail, but I really am diggin the small prismatic color on edges of the wing " panes".

• Juthro likes this

#498 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, Skye :)  I know you are a dragonfly fan, and I had a feeling you would enjoy it.   I also like that with the depth of field in the photo, my back lawn just turns into a solid green backdrop.

And as a side note, I think this is the first, and only dragonfly I have captured with water drops on it.  I figure he got wet hunting down at the lake, as we hadn't had any rain for about 6 hours.  I also assumed that was why he wanted to sit in the sun and dry out.

Edited by Juthro, 08 September 2019 - 09:17 PM.

• crazy1, Skywatcher and SteampunkScientist like this

#499 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

MAn Juthro, that could be a photo out of a National Geographic magazine.  Beautiful!

• Juthro likes this

#500 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

RIP.jpg

• onediadem, Juthro, Needles and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!