You caught him man! Nice shot.

• Juthro likes this

#802 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

So we almost lost one of the cranes this morning to a goshawk attack. Both cranes came out ok, but are still rather skiddish, as the hawk is still in the area.

This is only the second time I've been able to get pics of the goshawk since I moved to Alaska, they are very sensitive to people watching them, and dont like their picture taken, at least in my experience.

Another awesome shot. On the property I’m working at saw a beautiful Owl Flying tree to tree. (during the day) I missed a shot of it. And was thinking of that other shot you took of the bird
Flying. Haha.
  • Juthro likes this

#803 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:38 PM

Thanks guys.  You are very kind. 

It was indeed a lucky shot, and it was good enough for identifying the bird, and that was my intent.   But I dont think its technically a very good shot at all.  I only had time for that one shutter action, and my camera was still set up for whatever I was taking pics of the night before.    The holy grail is when you win the lottery and have your settings already set for the conditions the random shot is going to prevent itself in.  Sometimes it happens, most of the time not.

And it also helps your odds if you remember to leave a memory card, and a battery in the camera, lol.

EDIT: And non perfect pics are my favorite for photo shopping the hell out of :)

DSC_0153rv2.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 26 April 2020 - 08:40 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and Choices like this

#804 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:56 PM

post-147940-0-78093400-1588024249.jpg

post-147940-0-61801700-1588024256.jpg

post-147940-0-56472500-1588024262.jpg

post-147940-0-06469000-1588030185.jpg

Soo I haven't posted much here lately, So here's a female cardinal sitting on a nest, taken with a point and shoot digital on a tripod, and a pic of her nest with the eggs, taken on my Note 9. Enjoy!

I'll be posting updates to this year's Earth day thread, per skywatcher's permission:

https://mycotopia.ne...appy-earth-day/

PS, Isn't she the most precious thing EVER?! She's so beautiful, I might die!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 27 April 2020 - 06:58 PM.

• onediadem, Juthro, Needles and 2 others like this

#805 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

Good to see you back here, Cat :)   I love real wildlife pics !

• CatsAndBats likes this

#806 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,353 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

Spring is in the air

spring web.jpg

post-136520-0-77806200-1588209852.jpg

• onediadem, Arathu, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#807 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

Nice magic beans, Needles !

• Needles likes this

#808 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:32 PM

This pic if for Onediadem, cuz I know she likes the black and whites :)   I really kind of like the feel of this pic, it reminds me of an illustration out of Shel Silverstein book.

(Thank you for all you do, and for the support you give, One.  It is noticed, and appreciated)

post-136504-0-21980400-1588221140.jpg

DSC_0075v2r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 29 April 2020 - 11:37 PM.

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Needles and 3 others like this

#809 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:38 AM

So we almost lost one of the cranes this morning to a goshawk attack.  Both cranes came out ok, but are still rather skiddish, as the hawk is still in the area.

This is only the second time I've been able to get pics of the goshawk since I moved to Alaska, they are very sensitive to people watching them, and dont like their picture taken, at least in my experience.

I find the same with crow's and raven's. They see you looking and them and they take right off. I once watched a raven try to fake me out to see if I was going to hop out of the truck. It was making swoops at some food I had thrown on the ground. Kept  pretending to land and would swoop back up at the last second watching me to see what I would do. The raven finally got the courage to swoop down at the spicy tuna I had thrown on the ground. It pecked the tuna for a second, gave one really loud call right at me and flew away.  It felt like a F you dude, made me work for this spicy trash

It was pretty funny scene to watch during lunch hour at work, trapped up in the bush with nothing better to do

• Skywatcher, Juthro, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#810 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:51 AM

So we almost lost one of the cranes this morning to a goshawk attack. Both cranes came out ok, but are still rather skiddish, as the hawk is still in the area.

Another awesome shot. On the property I’m working at saw a beautiful Owl Flying tree to tree. (during the day) I missed a shot of it. And was thinking of that other shot you took of the bird
Flying. Haha.

A little off the photography topic but I can't help but share useless facts 

Even though owl's are considered to be nocturnal. As they are better equipped to hunt at night, as well as advantage gained due to the competition going to sleep

They still like to fly around in the day time to get a memory of where those branch's are. Basically running flight simulations in preparation for the night hunts

It's pretty incredible how they have evolved from other areal predators in that regard. They make almost complete silence when they swoop down as well. I watched a show where they got a large enough sounds studio and were able to record it gliding. It's as close to silence as you can get in the natural world

• onediadem, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#811 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 01:47 AM

The first of one of my favorite looking ducks showed up on the pond today, looking to set up a nest.

I mean, come on, this guys got style. Its hard not to love those markings.  I admit it, I'm a sucker for the arctic black and white patterns, but the barrows markings are unique even in this world.   And, he shows up every year, he's one of  my best customers :)

I present, the barrows goldeneye.

post-136504-0-70755100-1588314852.jpg

Sorry about the noise, but conditions, and range were not in my favor.  It was the best shot I could get with what I have to work with.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0181r.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 01 May 2020 - 01:50 AM.

• onediadem, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#812 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

I think I'm starting to get a feel for doing these styled pics.  I've noticed that they are easier to convert if your background is over exposed, like if you had sunshine glare on water, or a patch of white snow that was washing out your pic.   This condition makes it easier to separate backgrounds from objects in the foreground.

It feels counter intuitive to try and trick the camera into taking a poorly exposed photograph, but it is a good way to learn the use of your camera's controls.

post-136504-0-22582400-1588438156.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0193rv2.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 May 2020 - 11:50 AM.

• onediadem, Arathu, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#813 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

And you know, it makes me wonder...what's going on..... why I don't have my easel and canvasses out trying to copy this.......shit, chomping on a handful of mushrooms might add some very interesting geometries to the whole thing. Of course then I'd be smoking this crazy Birthday Cake stuff and fall over onto the ground and make dirt angels........good time good times.......nice picture Juth! 

A

• Juthro likes this

#814 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:57 PM

I have to trap mice in places where my indoor cat can't get into trouble with the traps.  If I don't, half of the dry cat food will be stored in some niche in my washing machine.  So, I give the mice I kill in the traps to the ravens, who check the spot daily, though I probably only have a mouse there one day in twenty or fewer.

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 May 2020 - 06:27 PM.

#815 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,543 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

What filter are you using in Photoshop Juthro? It looks like plastic wrap?

• Juthro likes this

#816 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

What filter are you using in Photoshop Juthro? It looks like plastic wrap?

PS calls the filter 'graphic novel', but I'm jacking its adjustments around quite a bit from the default settings, and I'm also tweaking the lighting settings quite a bit.  Shadow, exposure, ect...

• Skywatcher likes this

#817 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

I would have guessed Desaturate then whatever that device that looks like a painting

Gotta love Photoshop for the wierd stuff    IF you can figure out how to do it twice in a row

Been some big changes in Juthro's stuff eh class?

• Skywatcher, Juthro and Needles like this

#818 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,543 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:10 PM

Been some big changes in Juthro's stuff eh class?

Full 100% agreement, and I get to enjoy it !

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#819 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

As always, thank you for all you've shared, and taught me, Pharmer :)

And I totally agree, the twice in a row thing is the hardest part :)  The graphic novel filter is how I've  been getting that painting look, but I have to tweak all the slider bars to get what I'm looking for,  and I cant pull it off with every pic.

#820 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:30 PM

I just watched over half a billion dollars ( a pair of F-22 Raptors)  practice touch and go's at an airport small enough that they dont have commercial jet service.

post-136504-0-16467900-1588710624.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0208r.2.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 05 May 2020 - 03:31 PM.

• onediadem, Arathu, Skywatcher and 4 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!