#861 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:29 PM

LOL....  Nope, not Nessie.  That there is a drill platform, most likely on a natural gas well, that is what most of the platforms this far North in the inlet are harvesting.

Love that pix Juthro, I lived my life on a rig like that. Would be a awesome view from the deck of that platform, although more than likely a bitter cold one.

I remember you telling me you worked on them every time I see them :)   I've only worked on offshore floating fish processors, they don't look nearly as iconic, and they tend to smell worse, lol.

Hope you and yours are doing well in this upside down world, Needles.  Stay well my friend.

• Needles likes this

#862 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:16 AM

Here is another for you, same shot, but at 72mm instead of the above 300mm pic that was then cropped.  It gives more perspective, as it is about 35 miles from the point I took the pic from to the far side of the inlet.   I know 72mm seems like a weird number, but my lens is 70-300mm, and it was slightly off the stop for its minimum zoom.

Look close, you can still see the drill rig :)

post-136504-0-61442100-1589609762.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0260r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 16 May 2020 - 01:41 AM.

• Arathu, Needles, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#863 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

Ahhhh there she is, well crap. Now you can see more of a square man made like structural object. Gotta love the detail in those mountains. I live about and hour and a half away from ours. It always gives me a sense of calm when you can see them from afar on a clear day.

Okay so no national enquirer story

• Juthro and Needles like this

#864 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:34 PM

The eagle seems to really have a hardon for the cranes this year, but they are still doing well, so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0256r.1.jpg
  • DSC_0286r.1.jpg

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 5 others like this

#865 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

I've got a hard on for the eagle. I ain't shamed to say it! Lol.
  • onediadem and Juthro like this

#866 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:47 PM

LOL, I hear ya.  They are a magnificent bird to behold.  Kind of scary up close when they are in combat, that one in my pics has a wingspan wider then I am tall.  I took those pics standing on my back porch, and the eagle came within about 20 yards of me a couple of times.  Makes for good pictures (with a little luck), but it was more than a little intimidating, they are a scary apex predator.

• onediadem and Arathu like this

#867 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:13 PM

I look at alot of hawks here as well but don't have the skill or means to photograph it that way. I enjoy the pics man it's very cool.
  • Juthro likes this

#868 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:24 PM

My interest in photography has been sparked for a minute because im used to looking thru a scope for hunting and seeing nature like that. I don't kill what I don't need but definitely take what I do. So photography has peeked my interest alot in the last two years especially cuz of hunting. It's like a chance to capture the things u see but would never kill. Obviously I never shoot for trophy but u know yeah it interest me big-time the photography. There's alot I have to learn about it tho .
  • onediadem, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#869 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:05 AM

My interest in photography has been sparked for a minute because im used to looking thru a scope for hunting and seeing nature like that. I don't kill what I don't need but definitely take what I do. So photography has peeked my interest alot in the last two years especially cuz of hunting. It's like a chance to capture the things u see but would never kill. Obviously I never shoot for trophy but u know yeah it interest me big-time the photography. There's alot I have to learn about it tho .

I agree that when I am taking pics, it feels very much like it feels when I'm hunting.  It brings out very similar emotions, and even the adrenaline rush, and hyper focus when your waiting to pull the trigger on a shot you know you wont get a second chance for.

You even get a trophy to hang on the wall if it all comes together for you :)

All in all, I've found photography to be a very rewarding hobby for me.  It helps to keep me focused in a world gone crazy.

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Needles and 2 others like this

#870 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:07 AM

Forfukn sure dude
Have ta roll up on that man.

Edited by makinbones69, 17 May 2020 - 12:09 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#871 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:16 AM

U got a rifle scope setup u like lemme know man. I'd like to know what setup u use. Ur obviously a great sight. My setup is modest on my rifle but message me or something sometime I may learn some angles I always am open to that. I'm sure ur fam is bigger there mule deer up to elk or moose. I'm shooting 7mil 08 @real hard to find white tail bucks when season is up.140 grain on the big boys tho. It's more than needed honestly

Edited by makinbones69, 17 May 2020 - 12:21 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#872 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:58 AM

I don't hunt much anymore, and where I live now, you want more of a brush gun, not a lot of long range shots in this part of the state.   So iron sites, and shorter barrels are common here.  Often in ridiculously large calibers like 45-70, due to the fact you want a very quick kill when at close range with dangerous game like bear and moose.    But as far as scopes go, if you can afford them, you can't go wrong with Leopold.

Fun Fact:  Leopold and Stevens is a Beaverton Oregon company, and I used to work as a subcontractor for them back in the early 90's.  I got to take a guided tour of their plant, and the guy who showed us around told us some of their history.  Back in the day L&S used to use silk from black widow spiders to make the crosshairs for their scope reticles. 

The science of polymers wasn’t what it is today, and they couldn’t get a thinner fiber for the cross hairs that was strong enough to hold up to the recoil of a high powered rifle scope.  So they had their own black widow breading, and harvesting section for several years before technology caught up, and then they transitioned to use synthetic fibers for the cross hairs.

Can you imagine having the job of milking the silk out of black widow spiders to make cross hairs with them, lol.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#873 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,310 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

No more dangerous than working for Hillary :ohmy:

Hunting and photography are definitely the same sport with the only difference being the product ends up on the table, on the wall, in a frame, or in the trash file :)

I frequently get in my treestands and take pics. Can't say as I've gotten anything worth showing yet, but someday :)

• Arathu, Juthro, Needles and 1 other like this

#874 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

I frequently get in my treestands and take pics. Can't say as I've gotten anything worth showing yet, but someday :)

I have to wonder about that, Pharmer.  I seriously doubt you've been taking garbage shots.  I think of you more as a perfectionist, and you only share the highly polished crown jewels of your collection, and they are magnificent.

I feel I'm more like a kid down by a creek, and I share every cool looking shiny rock I come across, not just the jewels :)

And for the record, I would totally take the job milking spiders over any job in politics.  Those people are all evil, and it don't matter which direction they are shooting at you from, the right or the left, your just a piece of meat to all of them.

Edited by Juthro, 17 May 2020 - 03:32 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#875 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

The Air Force did its salute fly over for all the front line hero workers with 2 pair of F-22 Raptors.  I know the are death machines, but I still find them impressive on so many levels.  Not very good pics compared to what I've got at the air shows, but they were really cool to watch, and I totally applaud all the people they are trying to honor.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0345r.1.jpg
  • DSC_0341r.1.jpg

• onediadem, Skywatcher and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#876 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:47 PM

I hate to think of the fingernail scratches she would put into you.  

#877 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

I hate to think of the fingernail scratches she would put into you.  

Ain't that the truth !  I think she would probably leave you wearing your guts for garters.   They are scary powerful for their size, and their size aint small. 

My wife always gets mad at them when they are hunting the other birds on the pond, but I try and remind her that eagles have to eat and feed their young like everyone else.  Her response to that is that they should eat more fish, like everyone else in the state, lol.

I do love watching them, but they can be brutal, and harsh at times.  Kind of gives me flashbacks of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, with Marlin Perkins  :)

• Skywatcher likes this

#878 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

Those scratches wouldn't be the kind I like for sure.

#879 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

I woke up last night with the thought, "those would be toenail scratches." 

I just don't know what to do with my mind except perhaps ignore it.

• onediadem and Skywatcher like this

#880 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:00 PM

I woke up last night with the thought, "those would be toenail scratches." 

I just don't know what to do with my mind except perhaps ignore it.

Well, that leads me to wonder, if it got you with its beak would the corresponding marks then be called pecker tracks....?

(the mind is a dangerous thing, and it must be stopped....)

• Alder Logs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!