#1781 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:39 AM

Of all the weird things to unexpectedly find in our back yard, a pair of sheep has to near the top of the list.  They ate some stuff growing around a compost pile, and then headed west before I was able to find out where the belonged.  I didn't have anyplace to pen them up, or I would have tried to hold them until we found where they belong.    As of yet, we have no idea where they escaped from, or where the moved on to.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0589r.1.jpg

• Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#1782 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:45 AM

I'd guess their time in the wild will be short?

#1783 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:21 PM

It could go either way for them, their chances are pretty good if they stay in the immediate area.    There is a neighborhood Facebook account that we posted pictures, and 'last sighted at' updates.   As of last night we don't know where they came from, but we did have some people volunteer to pen them up with their goats if they can be captured.   There are several people on the lookout right now.

It's the only use of Facebook that I've ever found useful, or good.  It also functions as our neighborhood watch.  We are a fairly small community, and we know who belongs here, and who doesn't.   When we see suspicious activity, we track it as a community, and it also does a pretty good job at returning pets, and livestock to where they belong.

#1784 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

agreed about facebook

I was thinking domesticated sheep wouldn't have a clue about how to survive once the 78 feet of snow falls. Maybe they'd just go looking for people and look sad  :)

Edited by pharmer, 29 September 2021 - 02:30 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#1785 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:44 PM

I dont think they would survive the winter with out assistance.  Like you said, when the snow falls, their ability to forage food will go away.   Though there is still plenty of green stuff available right now,  and they looked to be well fed when I seen them. 

IMO, I think their biggest hazard right now is if they follow the road out to the highway.   Lots of tanker trucks heading back, and forth to the refinery. 

#1786 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 09:35 AM

Story time if anyone cares. Me and the wife camp a few times a year. Lately I've been losing the thrill of camping. Even though we are so fast at setting up camp and getting a fire started. New records!  

We arrive at a new camp and are told it's a mile hike to the site. No facilities, no bathrooms, only BEAR LOCKERS! None of the stuff we expect from a campground. I'm already not too happy as we packed heavy as it could get into the 30's. We move a cooler and a few bulky things and one trip takes an hour to get to the site. This ain't no mile hike...It's up hill and downhill and we packed thinking we could drive up to the site and have people around. No we are the only fucking people here and anyone hiking says, "You guys are brave".  

We ended up doing 10 miles and 10 floors just to pack in! That's not including 4 kayak trips across a river. Towards the left hand side directly across the lake is the parking. Only trails go a mile around to reach the sites. They put us in the last site which was another mile uphill. We grabbed the first site closest to the trail as we figured we were the only ones out there. 

Our site was straight a head, and all those boulders to the right is where our site should of been. It took us an hour of searching to find our actual site. It was super nice but in between huge boulders with no sun...

Bear warnings everywhere entering the site, at the site, hiking around, etc. Getting a little freaked out as we had a bad experience in the smoky mountains in fall with black bears. So, 12am roles around and we try and lay down the tent is fucking fridgid, decided to use some cell power and it's already 20 fucking degrees our shit is rated for 40. Then the noises start and my wife who is a heavy sleeper asks me if I hear that. Ofcourse I fucking hear that I have crazy hearing and don't sleep in a house. So we we hiked a mile back to the car made a fuck ton of noise because of cougars. Slept in the car for the night which is not as easy as my 20s and it dropped to about 15 degrees. 10k elevation weather is insane. 

Anyways we cut the trip a day short and are planning on converting a sprinter or similar vehicle into a camper for tiny-fake-outdoor people. The stars were amazing, it was quiet, and a truly amazing campground. Just wish we had known that some sites you don't drive up to. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 04 October 2021 - 09:42 AM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#1787 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 03:45 PM

Absolutely beautiful place Rocky !

There was a day I could do things like that, long since come and gone...............................

• Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#1788 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:13 PM

What Skye said :)   Beautiful pics Rocky, that's some real pretty scenery.    

I know a little about bear country, night time can get downright spooky.   Nothing like sleeping in your truck, and waking up to the truck rocking, and when you open your eyes you see a bear looking at you through the door window   :eek:

• FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#1789 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 10:28 PM

Eleven Mile.

"Anglers and writers consistently tout Eleven Mile’s large reservoir for its outstanding fishing. When not reeling in a trophy rainbow, brown, cutthroat, kokanee or pike, there are nearly five miles of scenic hiking and biking trails that await exploration."

Skye so you can live vicariously. Here's a few so I don't overload your image hosting and a link for more. 

https://imgur.com/a/aCazkP2

We overpacked, we may learn to pack lighter, but at a point we could probably get a vehicle and fix 'er up. 

Don't think there's anyway around panoramas being sideways. Impossible to use a point and shoot to show off the rocky's layers at sunset. 

Believe that's pike peak with snow.

driving to site

the view from site (forgot if posted or variation of)

playing with the one spot of yellow and green, told wife to compose a few will take a peak

Juthro, even racoons can be freaky in a tent. Ughhh that sounds awful just seeing glowing eyes is enough to make me freeze. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 04 October 2021 - 10:29 PM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#1790 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:38 AM

Just want to correct we were closer to 9k. Guess the pass hit about 10k and we dropped to the lake. Pikes peak which was definitely nearby is a "14er". Not sure if some of those photos were Pyramid Mtn another 14er nearby. Believe it's technically South Park.

We were here for awhile. Looked like fire, GIF won't do it justice. 

https://imgflip.com/gif/5pbsmx

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#1791 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:11 AM

Damn, thats too high an altitude for an old asthmatic that smoked pot all his life, is overweight, and suffers from stage II hypertension.

I'll have you know, all my pics (almost) are at a much more reasonable 150' above sea level (or less).  Like a jet engine, I do best with a cold, and dense air charge.  Give's me all the O2 I need, lol.

Summit pass, that's what I've got to cross to get off the peninsula and into continental Alaska, is just under 1000', and it gets shut down almost every winter at least for a few days, some times a week or more, due to blizzards and avalanches. 

I love seeing your pics, BTW, cuz it's something I'm not likely to ever see IRL.  Between the probation officer, and the  wife I don't get out of state vary often   :laugh: (jk)

Please keep sharing brother :)

As long as I'm here, here is another nice autumn color shot off the back porch.  Been down in the the mid to low 20's most nights.  I would guess at this rate the lake will be froze over by Halloween.  But you never know, we could get a heat wave next week.  Weather if fickle.

EDIT: drunken grammar repair.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0601r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 06 October 2021 - 01:13 AM.

• ElPirana and rockyfungus like this

#1792 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:41 AM

Damn, thats too high an altitude for an old asthmatic that smoked pot all his life, is overweight, and suffers from stage II hypertension.

Asthmatic, just started smoking again and really feeling my lungs getting pissed. They sent all the TB cases to Colo. for that good mountain air. The "shining" hotel was a TB resort. 

https://en.wikipedia...e_Stanley_Hotel

Likewise, Alaska is somewhere I'm not sure if I'll make it. The idea and lifestyle is super tempting but I know it's not for my family. 

Weather has been a bit wild this year. I usually expect snow by Halloween, I got a feeling it's coming sooner. We are due for a good winter...

This photo surprised me when I went to edit. Looks like a raven/crow in a shadow. 

For that mullein conversation

• Skywatcher, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#1793 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:07 PM

Small correction, haven't been there in ages and it was hazy. I'll shut up till I take a peek at the ladyfriends photos. 

" Although the hotel never operated as a sanitarium per se, it was designed to be an optimal environment for pulmonary health."

Really cool place, dumb and dumber was filmed there as "aspen". Back to the photos.

Pup was super happy we came back, she spent 2 nights in a pole barn out in the country. Sadly, they didn't run her like they advertised. Pheasant-dog trainer.

Think I like this one better with the sun.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#1794 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2021 - 03:41 PM

and another random farm animal migrates by.....

Makes me rethink purchasing another cow for next year.  I might be able to just put a feeder in the back yard, and harvest what roams through.  (jk)

post-136504-0-43146400-1633725545.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20211008_073311773r.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 08 October 2021 - 03:42 PM.

• Skywatcher, ElPirana and rockyfungus like this

#1795 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:56 AM

Been nearly a decade since I have been back to one of my favorite spots to ride around. Sad when we found all the clear cutting and logging roads had ripped a bunch of the trails and scenery to shit. It's an odd feeling when somewhere that used to feel remote and isolated and all of a sudden there a road there where anyone can drive a lexus out to. Hopefully the reclamation does it's job but It sure does not happen overnight. I didn't have to heart to take any pictures of the destruction. One of the harder trails used to be what we call plane crash,  to get up to there now its fairly simple with the logging road access

post-160704-0-97903700-1633787040.jpg

post-160704-0-88400300-1633787060.jpg

post-160704-0-79080800-1633787066.jpgpost-160704-0-28150700-1633787052.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20211007_141441.jpg
  • 20211007_141753.jpg
  • 20211008_132539.jpg
  • 20211008_132549.jpg

• Skywatcher, Juthro, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#1796 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:57 PM

Some of my favorite memories are coming across wreckages in the woods. We found a classic VW bug, deep deep in there. Did the woods grow around that car in 5-7 decades?

Edit: Guess I should add car was whole, stripped of parts and what not. But an intact skeleton. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 09 October 2021 - 01:00 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#1797 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:06 PM

MY BABY IS COMING HOME!!!   (it gets lonely here by myself)

post-136504-0-89076000-1633806230.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20211009_082927471.1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 09 October 2021 - 02:07 PM.

• Skywatcher, ElPirana and rockyfungus like this

#1798 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,408 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:10 PM

WTF! They let you walk up to the gate still?

#1799 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:13 PM

WTF! They let you walk up to the gate still?

No, she sent me the pic to let me know she got her flight.  She will have to get off that big bird in Anchorage, and then catch a puddle jumper to the peninsula, where I'll be waiting to pick her up.

Edited by Juthro, 09 October 2021 - 02:15 PM.

#1800 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:18 PM

Went out with the kids today to do some exploring.

It was really difficult to get a picture of this guy, he kept jumping around.

gallery_158979_1779_71374.jpg

gallery_158979_1779_133590.jpg

gallery_158979_1779_19060.jpg

gallery_158979_1779_4229.jpg

There was some shadow in the bottom of this pic, but it was the best clarity and colors I could get.

gallery_158979_1779_349504.jpg

gallery_158979_1779_94878.jpg

gallery_158979_1779_230904.jpg

• Skywatcher, Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!