#1 Buitensporig

Buitensporig

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

Hi Guy's! 
Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm sorry im creating a new topic on this there must be an answer to my question somewhere here but i cant seem to find it.

Im using the Presto 23quart pressure cooker and when i fill the cooker(with water) to the marker line inside, where it say's i should. My jars are about half way submerged in the water...
It doesn't seem right to me as putting the jars in boiling water would therefore boil my LC liquid, caramelize the sugars and overcook my pre cooked grains further...

Am i using the cooker incorrect? or is there no problem with submerging the prepared jars?

I just want to make sure i got my shit right and start growing again :D

Edited by Buitensporig, 11 January 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#2 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

It's fine for them to be int he water, about halfway up sounds a little high though. Maybe a third of the way up is good. Are you using the trivet thingy to elevate the jars slightly? 

If you get to the end of a run and notice there is still hella water in the cooker then you can use less water next time. You don't wanna run dry or anything but no need to use a lot more than needed.

• Soliver, Juthro and Billcoz like this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,152 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Are you using quart jars? Check your manual, it should give an amount in quarts to add.

Why are your grains pre cooked?

You shouldn't mix LC and grains in the same PC run. Big difference in times. Grains need 1.5 to 2 hours, LC needs 20 to 30 minutes.
  • sandman, Soliver, Juthro and 1 other like this

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

I don't follow the manufacturer's directions - I generally put in less water.  You just want to make sure you have enough water to steam whatever you're steaming so it doesn't dry out - more water for grain jars than LC. 

For LC, I start a 15 minute timer when the steam starts flowing strong & then I put the rocker on . . . your experience may vary.

Hope this helps.

:)

soliver

• sandman, Juthro, AbnormalMortaL and 1 other like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

All good advice above^^

Like they said, a little too much is no problem, but not enough and you risk ruining your PC.

You can always put a couple of jar rings under the bottom of the trivet if you want to raise it up higher.

• sandman and Soliver like this

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:51 AM

I have read that it won't hurt to have the water up a lil bit on the jars, but probably not half way. 

If your using it according to the instructions, then your prolly putting the spacer down on the bottom, but I like to add a layer of jar lid-rings before the spacer so the jars are a little higher off the bottom, especially for the long cook times of grain, so as to not over-cook the bottom most grain in the jars.

For grain I have the water up about 1/4" on the jars, more since they go longer and i don't want it to boil dry. For LC, up to the spacer, about 1 1/8"- 1 1/2" deep(with the jar lid ring layer under the spacer).

#7 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

You can always put a couple of jar rings under the bottom of the trivet if you want to raise it up higher.

That's what I do. And then I put down another layer of rings, and add another trivet on top of that.

Why do I have two trivets? Thanks for asking. That's from the pressure cooker I ruined by putting in too little water and letting the system run dry. :biggrin:

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

Eh, I bet that left a bad smell in yer house, melting pc.

#9 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

I still have the PC, from 35 years ago, and it still kind of works.  The bottom is all bulged out, so when the rocker starts to rock, the whole pot rocks with it. :biggrin:

• Billcoz likes this

#10 Buitensporig

Buitensporig

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

Thank you all so much for the reply's!
Live an healthy mycelium growing-on  :biggrin: 
cant wait to get more stuf going!
<3

• Billcoz likes this

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

I still have the PC, from 35 years ago, and it still kind of works.  The bottom is all bulged out, so when the rocker starts to rock, the whole pot rocks with it. :biggrin:

man, that would scare the hell out of me.  the structure of a pressure cooker has changed which has to have weekend the structure.  I read of people who use theirs like this but not something bear would personally do. 

#12 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

Man, that would scare the hell out of me.  the structure of a pressure cooker has changed which has to have weekend the structure.  I read of people who use theirs like this but not something bear would personally do. 

I was young, and reckless. Now, I'm way older, a little less stupid, and I have a second trivet for my new PC. :biggrin:

pc.jpg

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

LOL, I bought an All American.  It came with two trivites.... :)

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

i bought two All Americans at thrift stores one had trivet one missing .i bought several  different Stainless Steel ones on amazon . thrifty insurance

here are several styles available

https://www.amazon.c...re canner&psc=1

https://www.amazon.c...rd_i=B078KVXQYC

https://www.amazon.c...V4DY9G87NYHQQTQ

Edited by bezevo, 25 January 2019 - 10:17 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!