Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Safrole : Original Root Bear makes me happy.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

Original Root beer was flavored with Birch and sassafras root extracts. Safrole was a main ingredient.

Then it was discovered this flavorant had medicinal qualities - specifically those of euphoria.

Safrole is an analog of MDMA, which can be synthesized from it. I'm interested in if anyone has tried this substance, and what they think.

Did you make it yourself? It might be interesting to have a Tek on how to extract and process it.

I have some suspicion that the FDA's ban on it as carcinogenic is bogus. It may not be, but it seems political rather than scientificly motivated.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 January 2019 - 12:43 AM.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,924 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:17 AM

The extraction is relatively easy, you can even by the oil in small quantities without getting on the list. If we all bought a lil bottle and sent it to you, no problem. Try and buy it in any quantity you will likely have some heat. As interesting the conversation is though, we can’t discuss the synthesis subject here. Talk all ya want about extacting essential oils. We do love aromatherapy! Heck just having some loose root in a basket on the dresser smells wonderful.
  • SteampunkScientist and Boebs like this

#3 Boebs

Boebs

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

I had sass befor, i loved !!
Wayy cleaner than molly.
Long visual trails and a euphoric atmosphere in the body.
Good times good times indeed
  • SteampunkScientist and MsBehavin420 like this

#4 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:00 AM

Yeah Coors, I figured no discussion about synths, but I'd be more interested in the natural oil anyway. Just wondering how the straight oil worked, and if you immediately got cancer afterwards as the FDA claims you will.

Anyway, here's an interesting thread over on the Nexus about it: https://www.dmt-nexu...g=posts&t=10534

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 January 2019 - 08:13 AM.

• Myc likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

This has been an idea of mine for a couple of years now. Apparently, we think alike. ;)

Truth be told, I'm still not sure where to start as far as the brewing process. So lately I've been endearing myself to some local beer brewers and trying to get a "hobby tour" of their craft. The micro-brew revolution is happening and many breweries are making their own root beer. 

I went so far as to run this idea past a couple of physician friends of mine. Neither of them had any objections with the idea. Better living through microbial chemistry. 

• coorsmikey and SteampunkScientist like this

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I wonder how much of a pain in the ass it is to steam the oil out of the bark. I got a two level rice steamer, bet I could put bark in that and the oil would come out. Not sure if having the oil boiling breaks down anything.

Or boil it in a vacuum chamber at room temp. I may have to try this.
  • Myc and coorsmikey like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Good time to buy (or make) a still, Steam :)

Or you could go this route i guess..... https://www.leaf.tv/...-sassafras-oil/

Step 1

Track down some mature sassafras trees. Locate the main roots from the trunk and, using a shovel, dig to where the root is at least 2 inches thick. Dig around the root, clearing it of dirt and use an ax to hack out a section of root. Don't take more than one section from each tree. You don't want to kill the tree. It will grow more roots, but not if you take them all first.

Step 2
Remove the bark from sections of root using a potato peeler or a sharp knife. Place the shavings in a colander and and rinse thoroughly to remove the dirt. Set the colander, root bark and all, over a bowl and let stand. The holes in the bottom of the colander will not only allow the water to drain, but will later serve to help air circulation to dry the bark. After all water has drained, allow the drying process to begin. Occasionally toss the bark, moving the wet inner bark to the top for better air exposure. The complete drying process could take up to two weeks.

Step 3
Place the dried bark in a pot and cover with water, about an inch more than the layer of bark. Put the pot on the stove and simmer for four to six hours to extract as much oil as possible. Since the oils aren't as dense (heavy) as water, when you are done simmering, the fat will naturally rise to the top. Let cool to room temperature and place the pot in the refrigerator overnight. Sometimes it will take a little longer for the oils to congeal as a separate layer from the bark broth underneath. Give it the time it's due; don't rush it.

Step 4
Remove the pot from the refrigerator and, using as flat ladle, skim the congealed and hardened oils from the top of the bark broth below. Be careful to lift just the layer of oils, leaving behind the bark broth, which you can discard. Place the hardened oils in another pot and put the pot on the stove. Warm the oils until they again become liquid. Once warmed and in liquid form, pour through several layers of cheesecloth to remove any impurities through a funnel into a long-necked bottle. Cap or cork the bottle. The oils are sensitive to oxygen and will oxygenate and spoil with exposure to light and air.

Step 5
Store the oil in a room-temperature, dark location and it should last unspoiled for at least four to six weeks. Use the oil for aromatherapy, or rub it on your skin before venturing outside on warm summer days for use as an insect repellent.

• Myc and SteampunkScientist like this

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

A jerky dryer and a separatory funnel will speed this process up.

The dryer that many of us have for our "other" pursuits should cut that 2 week drying time down to a day or two. A vacuum boil will release the oils at room temperature so we don't lose active ingredients to heat, and a separatory funnel let's us get precise liquid separation. I may have to give this a try for those depressing grey days of winter.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 January 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

A Friend of mine stopped by yesterday and guess what he's been up to......................You guessed it!! 

He shared with me the recipe he used to make the root beer and also a recipe for making a ginger bug. This is the starter for a genuinely fermented beverage (which was my goal). 

I shared with him our thinking about the obvious parallels. He shared with me that he has a guide for the process of actual "x" manufacture. Just throwing it out there - but he has already told me that the process is far too dangerous to take on in the home laboratory - synth is not going to be on the radar. We're just studying the possibility of manipulating the precursors with microbial processes rather than with outright chemistry. Friend is a retired organic chemist so I'm in very, very safe territory. We're hoping to create a "friendly" beverage as opposed to an active beverage. This may be nothing more than a pipe-dream but it's worth some study.

After all, a bottle of happy root beer every now and again sure beats anti-depressants.

Root Beer:

https://nourishedkit...ot-beer-recipe/

Ginger Bug:

https://nourishedkit...com/ginger-bug/

Edited by Myc, 21 January 2019 - 10:41 AM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#10 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 768 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

Good time to buy (or make) a still, Steam :)

Or you could go this route i guess..... https://www.leaf.tv/...-sassafras-oil/

Step 1
Track down some mature sassafras trees. Locate the main roots from the trunk and, using a shovel, dig to where the root is at least 2 inches thick. Dig around the root, clearing it of dirt and use an ax to hack out a section of root. Don't take more than one section from each tree. You don't want to kill the tree. It will grow more roots, but not if you take them all first.
Step 2
Remove the bark from sections of root using a potato peeler or a sharp knife. Place the shavings in a colander and and rinse thoroughly to remove the dirt. Set the colander, root bark and all, over a bowl and let stand. The holes in the bottom of the colander will not only allow the water to drain, but will later serve to help air circulation to dry the bark. After all water has drained, allow the drying process to begin. Occasionally toss the bark, moving the wet inner bark to the top for better air exposure. The complete drying process could take up to two weeks.

Step 3
Place the dried bark in a pot and cover with water, about an inch more than the layer of bark. Put the pot on the stove and simmer for four to six hours to extract as much oil as possible. Since the oils aren't as dense (heavy) as water, when you are done simmering, the fat will naturally rise to the top. Let cool to room temperature and place the pot in the refrigerator overnight. Sometimes it will take a little longer for the oils to congeal as a separate layer from the bark broth underneath. Give it the time it's due; don't rush it.

Step 4
Remove the pot from the refrigerator and, using as flat ladle, skim the congealed and hardened oils from the top of the bark broth below. Be careful to lift just the layer of oils, leaving behind the bark broth, which you can discard. Place the hardened oils in another pot and put the pot on the stove. Warm the oils until they again become liquid. Once warmed and in liquid form, pour through several layers of cheesecloth to remove any impurities through a funnel into a long-necked bottle. Cap or cork the bottle. The oils are sensitive to oxygen and will oxygenate and spoil with exposure to light and air.

Step 5
Store the oil in a room-temperature, dark location and it should last unspoiled for at least four to six weeks. Use the oil for aromatherapy, or rub it on your skin before venturing outside on warm summer days for use as an insect repellent.

Curious to know if one could possibly skin the root in place, thus not risking accidental tree death?
  • Myc and SteampunkScientist like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

While I don't know for sure, as I've never lived where these trees grow, so I've no experience with them.  My understanding is they are very prone to suckering.  My experience with other trees that do this (cottonwood, vine maple, and philbert are a few examples) is they are difficult to kill, even if that is your intent.   Your harvesting of some roots will actually stimulate the tree to send up more shoots from the remaining roots.  Each root can be its own tree, if the conditions are right.

I would also worry that skinning roots, and leaving them attached might open up a vector for rot and disease. 

Edited by Juthro, 21 January 2019 - 02:32 PM.

• Myc, SteampunkScientist and MsBehavin420 like this

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

@Myc My under standing was the the process to produce Sass was relatively easy... Taking the jump to mdma may be more difficult. I thought that a decent sass product could be produced outside of a professional lab.... I could be mistaken. I doubt you would have success producing big chunks in the high 80-90 percentile but I thought it possible with proper ingredients... 

• Myc, SteampunkScientist and MsBehavin420 like this

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

I believe you're correct PJ. Friend and I both really enjoy the freedom of not being incarcerated. We will not cross any boundaries while exploring our options. 

It is my understanding that we can source pure safrole oil from a lab supply so long as you have an account in good standing. 

The carcinogenic thing gets my attention as it is alleged to cause liver cancer in rats. 

But then, when we examine the studies used to make those determinations we discover that the rats are often "saturated" with the materials in question. Often using several times the test animals body weight. Given that studies are performed in this manner, I'm dubious as to the results. 

Thought of another way, the pure, extracted nicotine from a single cigarette - is enough nicotine to kill an adult human being if extracted and given in a single dose. But no one has died instantly from smoking even a whole pack of cigarettes. Let's just say I'm slightly dubious. Hell, even water in large enough quantities is toxic. 

Hopefully, you get my drift without seeing this as me advocating willingness to take unnecessary risks.  

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,108 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

I believe you're correct PJ. Friend and I both really enjoy the freedom of not being incarcerated. We will not cross any boundaries while exploring our options. 

It is my understanding that we can source pure safrole oil from a lab supply so long as you have an account in good standing. 

The carcinogenic thing gets my attention as it is alleged to cause liver cancer in rats. 

But then, when we examine the studies used to make those determinations we discover that the rats are often "saturated" with the materials in question. Often using several times the test animals body weight. Given that studies are performed in this manner, I'm dubious as to the results. 

Thought of another way, the pure, extracted nicotine from a single cigarette - is enough nicotine to kill an adult human being if extracted and given in a single dose. But no one has died instantly from smoking even a whole pack of cigarettes. Let's just say I'm slightly dubious. Hell, even water in large enough quantities is toxic. 

Hopefully, you get my drift without seeing this as me advocating willingness to take unnecessary risks.  

Ok, cool, I thought you had said that the process was difficult and that a professional lab would be necessary in an earlier post.

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,443 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

You're correct again - I was trying to be very subtle in referring to the possession of a certain.....recipe - which details the next steps to obtain a "refined" product. This is the process which gets dangerous. Not the extraction of safrole itself. But with access to lab-grade safrole oil we are not likely to bother with extracting safrole from root bark in the lab.  (Get me?? - or am I just muddying the waters further?) 

Please PM if it continues to baffle. 

#16 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

I think I can say without breaking forum rules:The organic synth requires dangerous chemicals using methods that require vacuums, caustics, fume Hood, etc. Far too dangerous, expensive, and just not worth the trouble. Google is your friend if you want to know more.

I'll do an A/B extraction but when it gets to caustics, vacuum drying, explosive gasses and the like, I'm out...unless I'm building a rocket that is...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 21 January 2019 - 07:25 PM.

• roc, Myc, coorsmikey and 1 other like this

#17 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 768 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:39 AM

Ive seen some how toos here. Been seeking one that isnt caustic, bc i heard it can be done in a much ore organic fashion, thus removing the scary parts but im only looking to learn how things are made

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!