• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HermitMan

HermitMan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

Hello everyone. I began growing recently and grew my first batch of Golden Teacher late last summer successfully (~54 grams over 4-5 flushes, no contamination), and dried by fan. For my first trip, I took 2 grams and fell in love. It was a powerful experience and one of my favorites on shrooms. I then had two other trips on 3 grams each, and again, it was powerful and amazing. However, I have undergone 4 more trips after that, again about 3 grams each time, yet barely had a buzz. Two other friends using my mushrooms experienced the same story: at first was amazing powerful journeys, then nothing.

Is anyone able to help me understand what happened? Have you had a similar experience? I was considering that perhaps I didn't completely dry the mushrooms, but am not sure if this can affect potency. I stored them in a zippered plastic bag, so there shouldn't be too much contact with oxygen. Perhaps that is not enough?

Any ideas and suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:32 PM

How much time are we talking? I've had mushroom sit in a file cabinet in a rental storage unit for 5 years and were still good. On the other hand, I've had stashes that were forgotten about for about a year that was no good anymore and smelled terrible. I wish I could tell you something solid but IME there is no constancy. Maybe it could have to do with strains high in psilocin vs.psilocybin. Psilocin isn't very stable and degrades very quickly, whereas Psilocybin is much more stable and lasts a long time in where the body will metabolize the psilocybin into psilocin once consumed.  

#3 HermitMan

HermitMan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Thanks coorsmikey. The timespan is within 5 months of harvesting.

#4 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

How often are you and your friends partaking?

Edited by HooKworm, 12 January 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#5 HermitMan

HermitMan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

I would say around once every two to three weeks.

#6 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:47 AM

Hi Hermitman, sorry I am late but I have been a bit busy lately. Regarding your original question, Mikey is right there are so many variables that it is hard to say for sure what happened in your case.

Not drying them properly would definitely not be good if planning on storing them for more than a couple of days, it would most probably be the exposure to light when still a bit wet that would kill the potency quickly. If they were protected from light at all times but still wet they would have started degrading after about 7 days!

Investigation into the temporal stability of aqueous standard solutions of psilocin and psilocybin using high performance liquid chromatography

From the data presented it is clear that light is detrimental to the stability of aqueous solutions of psilocin and psilocybin. It is also clear that the onset of this light induced decomposition of the standards is rapid upon exposure.

These results are in line with earlier studies by Jakubovic et al.[27] for related biogenic indole amines and illustrates that aqueous standard solutions of psilocybin and psilocin are stable for one week of analysis using lightproof conditions.

paper referenced attached

Attached Files

Edited by PistolPete13, 13 January 2019 - 01:48 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#7 HermitMan

HermitMan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Thanks PistolPete, I think that is it. I dried them on my counter close enough to get plenty of light.

I appreciate it!

• PistolPete13 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!