• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

Cakes are nearly 100% colonized, I did a smell test this morning and smell a sweet ammonia like smell. I've heard this could be bacterial infection, if that's the case, does this mean failure? Can I not fruit these cakes?

#2 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

It does not mean total failure.  I would increase FAE substantially while misting enough to maintain proper RH.  I have encountered similar situations and still produced fruits.  Good luck and I'm sure others will offer sound advice!  Def give fresh air and lots of it!!

#3 zoneeee

zoneeee

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

It does not mean total failure.  I would increase FAE substantially while misting enough to maintain proper RH.  I have encountered similar situations and still produced fruits.  Good luck and I'm sure others will offer sound advice!  Def give fresh air and lots of it!!

Thank you for the advice, it's also gave me some hope. I've had them in an incubator with tinfoil over the lids, the incubator has been closed longer than normal. I'm going to open the lid and remove the foil. 

#4 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

Sorry... reread 1st post.  I would birth ASAP (once colonized) and proceed as normal.  Def will be an uphill battle, but may salvage some fruits.  Again, plenty of FAE.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Sometimes too much moisture in cakes/grains allow for favorable bacterial growth conditions, among other factors.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!