7 replies to this topic

#1 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

I need an opinion here. I've struggled a bit with my Pan cyan Aussie work for about 2 months. It grew nicely on PDA, a bit different from cube, of course, but although slow and different, it did seem a tad more resistant to contamination. I got a good isolate that I was happy with and made an LC from agar.

I noc'd a few things - some oat jars, a couple BRF PF cakes since I was playing with them for cubes and a couple plates to check for contaminants.

It was really slow on the oats with spots of good looking white but never taking off and it spent forever non-contam for a stalled jar but eventually I had to toss it. The agar showed what appeared to be clean growth from the LC. And . . . I was very impressed with its liking of the BRF cakes which it colonized about at fast as the cubes - impressive, since it hardly liked the oats.

So, fast forward now a month and I never did anything with the fully colonized 'Pan cake' still looking like a typical colonized PF cake in jar (was a pint) with the verm on top.

Meanwhile I've tried some Pan agar to oats jar and a more generous Pan LC to grain, still with a stall eventually.

Around Christmas, I added the Pan cake to a whole oats quart jar but poured out some of the oats in order to be conservative at my expansion ration. It was close to 1:1.5.  To my surprise it developed dense spots of myc and although it never went solid white, it looked pretty happy. It was in two different shape jars, BTW. The faster one was a tall skinny  1.5 pint wide mouth and the other was a typical wide mouth quart/ Now about 2.5 weeks later one of the jars, the skinny, faster one developed some bluing of the myc and it has continued.

Now my experience with agar is that this just happens due, to, I presume, psilocin oxidation I'm guessing and it's not contamination. I've seen it on old cube plates. Well, the Pan plates were doing this earlier, like in about 3-4 weeks, I presume because of more psilocin in Pan cyan than other species.

Thus I'm hoping and guessing that my bluing grain jars, which are approaching 3 + wk of age are just oxidizing. The progress from white to blue grey was similar to the plates.

Two questions . . .

• your opinion on the bluing
  • what's the next super conservative step to take my limited Pan spawn jar(s) to (mini) bulk or to fruit if even in vitro. I want to be conservative and just get a small success and take it from there.

Wider jar not yet bluing

20190113_091419.jpg

Narrow jar with bluing

20190113_091408.jpg

20190113_091358.jpg

Month old Pan plate front and back

20190113_091434.jpg

20190113_091428.jpg

Edited by raymycoto, 13 January 2019 - 11:11 AM.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

Sounds about typical for the bluing. Funny that you mention them being slow on Oats. I have noticed the same thing. I have jars of wheat noc'd with pans colonize in 5-10 days whereas oats are much slower. I wonder if it has anything to do with hulls still attached to the oats. I was considering using oat water instead of potato in my next round of LC. I hoping it will encourage the mycelium to develop the enzymes needed to consume the oats more aggressively. 

My opinion on the bluing is the same as yours, Psilocin oxidizing.

If It were me, I would spawn those to some coir/poo of some sort. Keeping the substrate depth less than two inches. I have been having great luck with buffered peat moss and vermiculite casing but have seen others that just use coir alone or vermiculite. I know someone that has been pulling off some awesome Pan grows with no casing. I haven't had that luck yet.

• raymycoto likes this

#3 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

When my "Pan Tropicalis" and Pan Cambo were in the spawn stage the mycelium blues like hell. They also had those dense spots and the rest looked barely colonized. I think it's pretty normal.

#4 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

:biggrin:

Whew, glad to hear. With my limited Pan plate experience I've had big blue blebs pop up on agar but they were just part of the myc and never contam.

Hopefully this quick bluing is representative of potency, one of the pluses of Pans.

And on another note, I made some potato dextrose wheat poo water agar thinking my Pan iso would love it. And I only had only thrown in a handful of wheat and a half handful of cpoo into the boiling water with the potato slices. After that I added the requisite amount of agar plus just a tiny bit extra (IME adding too much extra stuff to agar can deactivate it during sterilization turning your agar into a slimy piece of jello on your petri that just slides off.)

The agar came out with perfect consistency and cubensis loved it but my transfer of Pan to this agar just sat there for two weeks with a miserable light growth eventually of about a cm. Crazy. I would have thought I had somehow created a toxic agar but for the cube taking to it as expected.

So . . . there is something fussy about Pans indeed. I have some wheat and thanks, CM, I'll make some jars and hope my month old refrigerated Pan LC is still good and noc some wheat spawn.

Meanwhile I'll take the Pan, perhaps to two different subs and hedge my bets. I'm thinking - a coir / poo and a cut straw / poo and perhaps some of D24's magic MG sub. Hate to delay too much for fear of contam but I might do quick trial in a jar of these three subs. I'll prep them now - just a handful of each.

Coir / poo

Straw / poo

MG

Cheers and thanks!

Edited by raymycoto, 13 January 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#5 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

We'll see in a few days if one is favored. Just a handful of sub plus a tablespoon of my limited stock of  colonized Pan cake mix.

20190113_125103.jpg

20190113_154104.jpg

20190113_193351.jpg

Edited by raymycoto, 13 January 2019 - 09:31 PM.

#6 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Is that the Organic MG I used in the mini tub?

#7 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

Is that the Organic MG I used in the mini tub?

Yes, the exact same bag from Home Depot. About $4 for about 40# or whatever that big bag is. Was the same bag you showed in you picture. Interesting - it's got the perfect hydration already right out of the bag :)

Hard to ask for more.

Meanwhile I noc'd with my pan aussie LC another pint BRF cake I had already made. If I get the same great colonizing with that somewhat old LC, then I'll do a batch of new BRF and colonize some more Pan this way.

Edited by raymycoto, 13 January 2019 - 11:35 PM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#8 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

Sweet, you can save me the the experimenting with seeing if Pans will colonize it.

I have a feeling that Semperviva will do well with it bc of the woody materials. Maybe even P. Zapotecorum.

This is gonna be fun.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!