14 replies to this topic

#1 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

I have this in my back yard every year.  It is so beeyooootiful, but deadly.

The famous destroying Angel, the Amanita Virosa.

I sometimes wish I was that bug who took a bite out of the right hand side just to see what it tastes like.

Attached Thumbnails

• Destroying Angel.JPG

• Skywatcher and Mushinist like this

#2 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 182 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

I sometimes wish I was that bug who took a bite out of the right hand side just to see what it tastes like.

Me too, because they smell really good as well, lol
  • mushit likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

Pretty destroying angel! This summer I posted photos of different stages of their development... parts of the farm are amanita haven in late summer to fall... Front sections of woods on the back 70 are covered in boletes and amanitas of multiple types..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • mushit, onediadem and Skywatcher like this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

Asian immigrants especially make this mistake, but destroying angel when young can be confused with meadow mushrooms... important to understand habitat to make...

The angels aren’t found in their homelands

Edited by PJammer24, 14 January 2019 - 09:09 PM.

• mushit and Skywatcher like this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

I am always happy to see a reminder for this deadly mushroom shared here. Mushroom poisoning is not a good way to go, and this particular Amanita is in top place for deaths.

All foragers would be wise to learn to identify it by appearance in all growth phases and environment. Thanks for sharing this again !

https://en.wikipedia...estroying_angel

Young destroying angels, often mistaken for puffballs.

220px-Destroying_Angel.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 15 January 2019 - 10:16 AM.

• mushit, onediadem and PJammer24 like this

#6 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

Ya, it's cool to walk in the wild and see all the wonderful mushrooms and what they can potentially do to you, PJ.

My cousin ate one of these, contrary to my urgent warnings, and lived!!.  They pumped him full of activated charcoal.  He was shitting black for two weeks after that.  One of the very few that have lived.  Some people do not listen!

Nice buttons, Skywatcher. 

I learned about this particular mushroom early in life.  I feel everyone interested in harvesting mushrooms from the wild should familiarize themselves profusely with the poisonous ones first.  Keeps us out of trouble.

Here are a couple more.  In between the buttons and full grown fruit.  The second pic shows the cup very well.

Attached Thumbnails

• Destroying angel 3.JPG
  • Destroying Angel 2.JPG

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:25 PM

Pretty destroying angel! This summer I posted photos of different stages of their development... parts of the farm are amanita haven in late summer to fall... Front sections of woods on the back 70 are covered in boletes and amanitas of multiple types..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh how I miss my property in Tennessee. Perhaps someday I will go back.

• mushit, roc, PJammer24 and 1 other like this

#8 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,710 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:42 AM

I too like to see posts on this. Some distinguishing charateristics should be discussed as well I think. The vulva that it comes out of for one, which is usually seen down at the bottom of the stalk, white gills not attached to the stalk (sometimes pinkish slightly off color than white)  and an annulus or ring on the stalk too. 

• mushit, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,981 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:33 AM

In other words kiddies you better have a spare liver ready for a quick transplant or suffer a slow painful death!

• mushit, onediadem and Skywatcher like this

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

Actually if you're really curious about the taste, its safe to taste a nibble and spit it out.
  • mushit likes this

#11 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

Actually if you're really curious about the taste, its safe to taste a nibble and spit it out.

You first.  :tongue:

• Juthro likes this

#12 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,999 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

Asian immigrants especially make this mistake, but destroying angel when young can be confused with meadow mushrooms... important to understand habitat to make...

Yes they are.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Yes they are.

"the Death Cap, alas, does not occur in Southeast Asia, so folks from that part of the world are unaware of the lethal "look-alike." - http://americanmushr...om/deathcap.htm

I am sure you are right and that the internet is wrong, as usual, but here is one of several sites that mention the destroying angels not being indigenous to Southeast Asia. Perhaps my previous comment was not specific enough and that southeast Asia would have been more appropriate. I am not the expert.

Asian paddy straw mushrooms are another noted look alike 

Edited by PJammer24, 22 January 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

Deathcap and destroying angel aren't the same. Deathcap refers to amanita phalloides. Destroying angel refers to several other amanita species, depending on what part of the world you're in.
  • mushit likes this

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Deathcap and destroying angel aren't the same. Deathcap refers to amanita phalloides. Destroying angel refers to several other amanita species, depending on what part of the world you're in.

I found two other references to the death cap and some references to destroying angel being confused for paddy straw mushrooms and meadow mushrooms. The only examples I could find where they discuss them being confused and then say they are not found in southeastern Asia is with the Death Cap... They examples I found do all reference southeast Asian immigrants making this mistake.I clearly am capable of confusing the two since I made the same mistake again when I was posting my defense above...

Here is where it gets murky though!!

https://en.wikipedia...fungus_species 

wikipedia is well, wikipedia... whats funny is that it says the death cap is indigenous to southeast Asia but the the destroying angel is not... So....

The internet sits as just a slightly more reliable than worthless in my mind....

Edited by PJammer24, 22 January 2019 - 03:42 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!