13 replies to this topic

#1 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 407 posts

Donator

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

I have been terrible about documenting recently.

This first flush just came down.  It is a multispore Huautla on WBS, spawned into 50coir/50poo at a 1:4 ratio.  

Original culture was from a Huautla spore syringe from one of the vendors.

Dunked and ready for the next flush, yay.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2019-01-15 08.53.51.png
  • Screenshot 2019-01-15 08.52.45.png
  • Screenshot 2019-01-15 08.54.11.png

• fahtster, coorsmikey, swayambhu and 2 others like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,853 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

Well, Damn! With nice results like that, it's hard not to show em off at least a little bit.

Edited by coorsmikey, 15 January 2019 - 12:49 PM.

• orangutan likes this

#3 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 407 posts

Donator

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

this is scientific evidence that mycotopia is full of helpful, generous and knowledgeable people that aren't assholes :)

• mush_mush likes this

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,361 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

Beautiful flush! MS, too.

What kind of FC did you use?
  • orangutan likes this

#5 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

I have been terrible about documenting recently.

This first flush just came down.  It is a multispore Huautla on WBS, spawned into 50coir/50poo at a 1:4 ratio.  

Original culture was from a Huautla spore syringe from one of the vendors.

Dunked and ready for the next flush, yay.

Jesus man! That's a nice flush there! What is your setup?

Edited by Billcoz, 15 January 2019 - 07:43 PM.

• orangutan likes this

#6 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

Very nice! Cant wait to see more!
  • orangutan likes this

#7 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Sick canopy. Showing love to the Multi-Sporea
  • orangutan likes this

#8 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 407 posts

Donator

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

@Deleena  and @Bill

I collected old horse poo on a horse riding trail near my house.  Mixed it with coir at 50/50, brought to fa little bit more than field capacity, and pasteurized in turkey baking bags in my oven.  The lowest setting on my oven is 170 degrees and I left them in there for 12 hours.

Spawned into the poo/coir mix with colonized WBS.  1:4 roughly.

For the FC I use an "iris" 74qt weathertight tote.  it's a little pricier than your normal plastic tote, but I got this because I have a lot of house plants and there is always a fungus gnat or two trying to get in my FC.  This one has weatherstripping and can be sealed at the top.  It has turned out to be incredibly sturdy and I imagine I'll be using it over and over for years.  With a 1/2" drill bit I put 10 holes going around at substrate level, 8 going around just under the lid, and one on each bottom corner.  i don't know if there is a lot of voodoo that goes into hole drilling, but this seems to work for me.I taped every hole up with a "see through" ribbon I found at the fabric store.  

This same "iris" brand sells "grey utility trays" and I find them perfect for cubensis.  They are 100% opaque and 5 inches deep.  Also, they fit *perfectly* into the 74qt tote, so there is no wasted space.  And I can dunk the sub by simply lifting the tray out of the FC.

Filled the tray with sub/spawn mix to 4" deep and covered in two overlapping pieces of aluminum foil with a few holes poked in them, placed in the FC, and then covered the FC with a light blanket.  I think that the blanket keeps the sub warmer with no supplemental heat needed (my house is in mid 60s).. also acts as a filter so there are no contaminants flying into the holes (i don't use polyfill).  The aluminum foil is for blocking light and FAE, but also IME it is great for preventing evaporation from the sub.  When it's time to fruit, you have that much more water in the sub.  Also, a colonizing sub can get warm, and if it wasn't covered, there would be condensation raining down on it and possibly leading to contamination.

When it comes time to fruit, I just remove the foil and place the FC in a closet with a little clip-on fan running on Low in such a way that it will circulate air in the closet but not blow directly on the FC.  It's probably not necessary, but I heat the closet with a small space heater set to the low 70s.  I found a tiny 400watt electric oil filled heater online.

Fan occasionally.  I know that the FAE and RH is in good balance when there is condensation on the walls of the FC but there is no condensation in rings around each hole.  Sometimes the condensation starts dripping down the sides or threatening to rain down from the lid, I will open completely for a few hours and let everything dry out, then cover again.  Once the mushies really start growing, about 5 days before the veils break, it gets very hot and humid in there so I barely crack the lid on one side and prop it up by sticking a small folded paper between the lid and the rim.

TBH this particular strain is relentless.  The mycelium is aggressive and it will reliably put out massive flushes 14 days after initiating fruiting.  Other strains will take longer.... longer time means more opportunity for contamination.  I'll try to take some prints on the second flush and will share with anyone, just PM me!  

(I have no idea why the photos came out rotated to the left.  sorry!)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1305.JPG
  • IMG_1306.JPG

• roc, fahtster, Deleena24 and 2 others like this

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,361 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Your process is very hands on but damn does it work. You took good care of em.

The only thing I dont like about flushes like that is that they take a good hour to pick without destroying the tray lol.
  • orangutan likes this

#10 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 504 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

i looked at totes on wal-mart . com and they have ziplock brand totes that seal with like weather stripping

• orangutan likes this

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,270 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:31 PM

Way to grow!

• orangutan likes this

#12 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:49 PM

i don't know if there is a lot of voodoo that goes into hole drilling, but this seems to work for me.I taped every hole up with a "see through" ribbon I found at the fabric store.  

What I do for the holes is melt em. For small holes I an old soldering iron,. For bigger ones I'll use a spark plug socket heated up on the stove(not attached to the ratchet), then when it's hot I stick the ratchet in to pick it up, CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH, I have done that with the tip of my finger. I grabbed it to stabilize it, forgetting it was hot(too many mushrooms), melting the tip off my finger, PAINFUL. 

#13 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,361 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:13 PM

i don't know if there is a lot of voodoo that goes into hole drilling, but this seems to work for me.I taped every hole up with a "see through" ribbon I found at the fabric store.

What I do for the holes is melt em. For small holes I an old soldering iron,. For bigger ones I'll use a spark plug socket heated up on the stove(not attached to the ratchet), then when it's hot I stick the ratchet in to pick it up, CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH, I have done that with the tip of my finger. I grabbed it to stabilize it, forgetting it was hot(too many mushrooms), melting the tip off my finger, PAINFUL.

I do the same, except I use various sizes of screwdrivers lol. I tried using something like you described, but it truly is hard not to burn yourself LMAO. Even with thick calloused skin on my fingertips from packing down hot bowls of weed, it still hurts like a MFR.

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:49 AM

Even with thick calloused skin on my fingertips from packing down hot bowls of weed, it still hurts like a MFR.

You need some of those good "crack pipe burn" callouses lol.

• Deleena24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!