• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

Full disclosure: As I am the quintessential newbie on many levels: typing, posting, logging, and the growing itself.  I am not writing this post to be educating, its for me to get educated, but... by which others can learn from the adjustments and advice I'm given, therefore bringing it full circle.. Lion King shit.. but I digress. 

To bring you up to speed, here is a quick run down of how I got here and where here is. 

Here is the link to the tek I followed for my first grow,

https://www.shroomol...mers-wbs-flour/

In short its just replacing brf flour with wbs flour, same ratio, 2:1:1, same moisture content, at least from what Ive gathered from reading the PF tek.  I used 1/2 pint jars, pressure cooked at 15 p.s.i for 90 min, inoculated 12 jars with a spore syringe from Sporeworks, Costa Rica.  I didnt regulate the plunger pushing properly so jars had anywhere from 2-4 injections.  This tek uses only tyvek as lid w/ tape over holes.

IMG_20190101_214334.jpg  

About 5 weeks and I dunked (24 hrs) and rolled them before placing in SGFC, which is a deviation from the tek.  The wife has gotten involved at this point, and, well, she decided this was better. (hey, I can have my balls back anytime, as long as I ask first).  

FC.jpg

And here are some pics of the first flush, they were a little smaller than I had envisioned, but that strain isnt known, i dont think, for have big fruits.  But maybe my process is to blame, please shoot me thoughts, advice, anything, I have no ego involved.IMG_20190101_094105~2.jpg IMG_20190101_094113.jpg IMG_20190109_045446.jpg

Ill be posting my 3rd flush pics after I take them today.

• Cuboid likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

Hakuna Matata motha F*#ka!!

Sorry, motha F*#ka just sounds really cool paired with Hakuna Matata....

Good Luck!

I gets down with the Lion King... Circle of Life and shit!!

Most, if not all, of my psychedelic experiences have a cyclical element to them!

Edited by PJammer24, 16 January 2019 - 08:59 AM.

• Microbe likes this

#3 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

Good Luck!

Most, if not all, of my psychedelic experiences have a cyclical element to them!

So, being an analog member of ten club, can only assume you too are a fan

Edited by 417outsiders, 16 January 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#4 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Are the small size of those fruits abnormal to the point that I there was an obvious defect in a step or procedure?

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Are the small size of those fruits abnormal to the point that I there was an obvious defect in a step or procedure?

I would really doubt it. There is no obvious bluing or drying, theres no black aborted pins...

I think it's just the strain. The mushrooms look too healthy.

Edited by Deleena24, 16 January 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

Good Luck!

I wasn't sure what you were referring to, but luckily, I know how to use The Google... I believe you are referring to Pearl Jam? Their club being called Ten in which you are an "analog member"?? i grew up with Pearl Jam and I certainly am a fan, though I am not a member of the club...

Analog club membership is certainly different but the analogs I have come in contact with, I typically try to avoid... The original tends to be more enjoyable in my experience...

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

Can I just mention how I love that a new grower went for it when it came to modifying the PF tek on your 1st try.

The choice to use a filtered lid instead of a verm barrier was a good one. I hate verm barriers!

In your other thread you mentioned wanting to use some of the cakes for something else. Try spawning them to a mini dub tub. They're super easy to make, big enough to get a dry oz from each flush, but small enough for a new grower to take on easily.

Let me know if you need directions, or tips on which substrate to use.
  • 417outsiders likes this

#8 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

Good Luck!

I wasn't sure what you were referring to, but luckily, I know how to use The Google... I believe you are referring to Pearl Jam? Their club being called Ten in which you are an "analog member"?? i grew up with Pearl Jam and I certainly am a fan, though I am not a member of the club...

Analog club membership is certainly different but the analogs I have come in contact with, I typically try to avoid... The original tends to be more enjoyable in my experience...
I see PJ my mind goes to Pearl Jam, just thought I'd ask. May I humbly suggest that you put your Google skills to work again because analog is THE natural way that music, all sound actually, travels, in smooth wavesanalog_digital.png analog_digital.png analog_digital.png analog_digital.png analog_digital.png

#9 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

Sorry for multiple pic, on mobile, didnt think it was adding it.

#10 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

Okay, so dumb question, I want to continue my "story" and add pics, etc. Do I just go to reply and continue it from there? select edit on my original post? Or..?

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Okay, so dumb question, I want to continue my "story" and add pics, etc. Do I just go to reply and continue it from there? select edit on my original post? Or..?

Just reply to the post. We want the whole process so people like you can see the whole thing unfold as it happens.

If you keep editing people reading wont understand how you got to that point, in relation to the other comments.

#12 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

Thx 2 all for your help, and I will be taking you up on your offer Deleena24.

#13 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Okay, so now I'm overlapping the end of my first grow(3rd flush) with the start of my second. So the cakes on their 3rd go have taken a bit longer, and are varying quite a bit in priduction/size. Here is the right side of my FC

IMG_20190116_054356.jpg IMG_20190115_120249.jpg
IMG_20190115_120219.jpg

Lots of fruits, small in stature seems to be a common theme.

Now across town, on the other side of the perverbial tracks, are these.

IMG_20190116_054330.jpg IMG_20190115_120205.jpg

Left is more of what I was expecting from what I've read about 3rd flushes. Two cakes from the Left side got harvested, the middle one looks like it has a big fur coat of myc, which I hope translates into a thick bushy mane of fruits!
So it begs the question as the rest finish up, to dunk again and go for a fourth, or toss? Also, not sure what standard operating procedure is, but I did add 10% H2O2 with last dunk. I have not changed perlite or even wiped down the FC. It is as it was from the begining, which was running warm water over perlite in a strainer and shaking off excess water, baking racks to give separation from the jar lids and the cakes. Mist/fan/sing to them min 3x's a day. The room has an oscillating heater set to 76, with curtained windows, and the light you see in picture. We were keeping it on 24/0, in the Tek he says 12/12 is cool, but he does 24/0. What are my areas of improvement?

Edited by 417outsiders, 16 January 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#14 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

Nice job!

If you want to play around - instead of a dunk and going for the 4th flush you could blend a cake up and use it to spawn a miniature bulk grow or some WBS in a tray.

#15 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:36 PM

Nice job!

If you want to play around - instead of a dunk and going for the 4th flush you could blend a cake up and use it to spawn a miniature bulk grow or some WBS in a tray.

I like your style, i do want to use a few for that. Valuable experience with extremely low risk.  Perfect scenario if you ask me.  What is this wbs in a tray you speak of. 

• roc likes this

#16 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

Nice job!

I like your style, i do want to use a few for that. Valuable experience with extremely low risk.  Perfect scenario if you ask me.  What is this wbs in a tray you speak of. 

If you have a butt load of vermiculite and whole WBS you could fill quart canning jars a little less than halfway with WBS and then water halfway up the WBS, pressure cook for 50-60 minutes, shake and break up when cool enough to touch, let them set until completely cool and then inoculate with half of a crumbled up cake, shake and let it get colonized. If you don't want to hassle with trays and a grow chamber then grow them out right in the jars invitro like the neglect tek found here in the archives.

I haven't used a tyvek lid but don't see  why it wont work. Be sure and cover the top with heavy tinfoil during the pressure cooker. I normally use the canning lid with 4 nail head holes. If you use lids punch the nail holes from the topside so the nasty sharp metal is facing down.

When you transfer the crushed up cake (pretty fine) and be cautious about contamination. Be quick and don't leave the top off. Just open it enough to quickly transfer.

Lot's of info in the archives on WBS as spawn and prep. Grain transfers are also there.
Check my old thread in my signature to see what the WBS will look like colonized. You can also get an idea of tray growing for future reference. Horse dung, straight grain, straw, etc can be used as a substrate.

#17 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

Nice job!

Although what Roc suggested can work well and is fun and a good step up from cake grows, a beginner is going to want to use fresh cakes, not one on its 4th flush.

As you said, you haven't cleaned your FC, and a cake on its 4th flush is probably covered in contaminants, even if they're not seen.

Chances are you'll get contam before you get fruits if you use the old cake. I'd wait for your next batch of cakes and use a couple fresh ones instead. Your chances of success will go up exponentially.

Btw, if you're using a tyvek filtered lid, there really is no need for a vermiculite barrier. Especially one so thick! Even without the tyvek standard PF tek calls for less than an inch of vermiculite, looks like you used maybe 3 or 4 inches of it.

Edited by Deleena24, 17 January 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#18 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Nice job!

Although what Roc suggested can work well and is fun and a good step up from cake grows, a beginner is going to want to use fresh cakes, not one on its 4th flush.

As you said, you haven't cleaned your FC, and a cake on its 4th flush is probably covered in contaminants, even if they're not seen.

Chances are you'll get contam before you get fruits if you use the old cake. I'd wait for your next batch of cakes and use a couple fresh ones instead. Your chances of success will go up exponentially.

Btw, if you're using a tyvek filtered lid, there really is no need for a vermiculite barrier. Especially one so thick! Even without the tyvek standard PF tek calls for less than an inch of vermiculite, looks like you used maybe 3 or 4 inches of it.

I am going to definitely change the way I pack the jars, so tell me what part of this I need to change.  After I get mixture of wbs and verm to where I can squeeze a handful and water doesnt drip from my hand, but in between my fingers it does get moist (2:1:1 ratio more or less), I spoon it into my jars w/o compressing it at all until full. Then I tamp the bottom of jar with my hand 3 or 4 times to make space for verm.  I dont measure the thickness, but the mix usually stops where the threads start.   

• roc likes this

#19 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

Just to learn the process I will try the tray thing

Nice job!

If you have a butt load of vermiculite and whole WBS you could fill quart canning jars a little less than halfway with WBS and then water halfway up the WBS, pressure cook for 50-60 minutes, shake and break up when cool enough to touch, let them set until completely cool and then inoculate with half of a crumbled up cake, shake and let it get colonized. If you don't want to hassle with trays and a grow chamber then grow them out right in the jars invitro like the neglect tek found here in the archives.

I haven't used a tyvek lid but don't see  why it wont work. Be sure and cover the top with heavy tinfoil during the pressure cooker. I normally use the canning lid with 4 nail head holes. If you use lids punch the nail holes from the topside so the nasty sharp metal is facing down.

When you transfer the crushed up cake (pretty fine) and be cautious about contamination. Be quick and don't leave the top off. Just open it enough to quickly transfer.

Lot's of info in the archives on WBS as spawn and prep. Grain transfers are also there.
Check my old thread in my signature to see what the WBS will look like colonized. You can also get an idea of tray growing for future reference. Horse dung, straight grain, straw, etc can be used as a substrate.

I get what Deleena24 is saying, but my no experience is my very reason for attempting it.  Failure is often times the best teacher, and just going thru the process once in what amounts to a trial run I think may benefit from it later.

• roc likes this

#20 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

"I am going to definitely change the way I pack the jars, so tell me what part of this I need to change.  After I get mixture of wbs and verm to where I can squeeze a handful and water doesnt drip from my hand, but in between my fingers it does get moist (2:1:1 ratio more or less), I spoon it into my jars w/o compressing it at all until full. Then I tamp the bottom of jar with my hand 3 or 4 times to make space for verm.  I dont measure the thickness, but the mix usually stops where the threads start. "

Exactly. The vermiculite barrier should only be about as deep as the threading, but if that is what you do, why does it look like it goes halfway down the jar? Am I mistaking a huge layer of vermiculite for uncolonized substrate?

Yeah, go for the tray for sure if it's for learning. I just wanted to let you know the chances for success are better with fresh cakes. I didnt mean to say it cant be done. Hell, you might get several nice flushes from it, just don't expect it to ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!