• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#21 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Deleena24 is correct - your odds are much better with a fresh cake when inoculating grain as I suggested.

If you want to play with that 3rd flush cake you may want to play with a small tray.

• 417outsiders likes this

#22 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

"I am going to definitely change the way I pack the jars, so tell me what part of this I need to change.  After I get mixture of wbs and verm to where I can squeeze a handful and water doesnt drip from my hand, but in between my fingers it does get moist (2:1:1 ratio more or less), I spoon it into my jars w/o compressing it at all until full. Then I tamp the bottom of jar with my hand 3 or 4 times to make space for verm.  I dont measure the thickness, but the mix usually stops where the threads start. "
Exactly. The vermiculite barrier should only be about as deep as the threading, but if that is what you do, why does it look like it goes halfway down the jar? Am I mistaking a huge layer of vermiculite for uncolonized substrate?
Yeah, go for the tray for sure if it's for learning. I just wanted to let you know the chances for success are better with fresh cakes. I didnt mean to say it cant be done. Hell, you might get several nice flushes from it, just don't expect it to ;)

Yeah you are right it does look exactly like that, but I did not fill my jars with that much verm I'm for sure on that too. I do remember some of the cakes seeming to shrink up somewhat and verm falling down around the sides some. I'm going to go check out the new ones I started a few days ago right now. Pics to come.
  • Deleena24 likes this

#23 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:17 AM

This is out of order I know, but I've been needing to get this asked for days now and haven't. My log on the beginning process is to come, but first, should I ride it out with these cracked jars, these are the best pics I have, but 8 of 10 are similiar. The crack goes all the way under and up the other side. A couple even have a line just under the threads that goes all the way around.
B.M..jpg B+ split.jpg ex cam split.jpg cam split1.jpg

Edited by 417outsiders, 20 January 2019 - 06:26 AM.

#24 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

Jan 12th - The first attempt went well enough that for my second run I repeated the same process. Using the ratio 2:1:1 of verm/WBS flour/water I filled (10) 1/2 pint jars, capped them with tyvek lids, capped that with foil, and PC at 15 p.s.i for 90 min.
Jan 14th - I ordered a 4 pack of spore solution syringes from Spore Depot. I use a small, isolated room in my house in which I wipe everything down with alcohol and spray Lysol on ceiling and throughout the air. I then shower and return wiping down my hands again and keep my mouth and nose covered. The needles are heated to the point of glowing orange at the beginning and in between each jar. The breakdown of jars/strains went as such.
2-B+ / 2-Menace / 2-Blue Meanie / 4-Cambodia

Edited by 417outsiders, 20 January 2019 - 06:56 AM.

#25 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:02 AM

Jan 17th - pic of some myc growth
cam split1.jpg

Now what do you make of this. I quarantined this jar because of the dark spot I found on second day.
contam jar.jpg

But this is what it looked like 2 days later. The spot is same size, and there is growth.
quarantined cam.jpg

#26 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Keep it to the side!

Are you steaming or using a pressure cooker?

Whole grains don't do well with steaming where as pf style flour seems to be OK steaming.

#27 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, he is by himself in solitary confinement on the other side of the house. I PC at 15 p.s.i. (more or less) for 90 min. I think that may be too long for the jars to handle maybe?
  • roc likes this

#28 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

Do you have a spacer or are the jars touching the PC?

Also, was there any water left after the PC?
  • coorsmikey likes this

#29 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

Yes and yes, the spacer and the jars came out with a white film that I assume is lime. I'm on a well. Maybe that's what kept me from seeing the cracks at first. Prior to putting jars in,I lined the bottom of the basket with lids to make sure I could have plenty of water w/o risking it rising up under my foil.

#30 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Can I just mention how I love that a new grower went for it when it came to modifying the PF tek on your 1st try.
The choice to use a filtered lid instead of a verm barrier was a good one. I hate verm barriers!
In your other thread you mentioned wanting to use some of the cakes for something else. Try spawning them to a mini dub tub. They're super easy to make, big enough to get a dry oz from each flush, but small enough for a new grower to take on easily.
Let me know if you need directions, or tips on which substrate to use.

Yes I would like to hear what substrate you think I should go with. Also, would it be a good idea or a waste of time to do a few cakes out of this.

#31 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:38 PM

60 minutes @ 15 psi should be fine.
I still have the little spacer rack thing that came with my pc and haven't had any cracking.
I've heard others use a wash rag in between the rack and jars as a cushion.

I usually don't ramp up the heat hard and get the violent boiling shaking you can see. I'll get a good boil going latch down the lid and dial down the heat a little as the pressure goes up.

Be interesting to see if the growth consumes those black specks in that isolated jar. Doubtful but it has happened.

• coorsmikey likes this

#32 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:39 AM

60 minutes @ 15 psi should be fine.
I still have the little spacer rack thing that came with my pc and haven't had any cracking.
I've heard others use a wash rag in between the rack and jars as a cushion.
I usually don't ramp up the heat hard and get the violent boiling shaking you can see. I'll get a good boil going latch down the lid and dial down the heat a little as the pressure goes up.
Be interesting to see if the growth consumes those black specks in that isolated jar. Doubtful but it has happened.

If it were another mold, it would have spread by now right?

#33 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

Most contamination's take off like a rocket and waste no time taking over the jar.

I forgot to ask how it smells?

#34 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

Can I just mention how I love that a new grower went for it when it came to modifying the PF tek on your 1st try.
The choice to use a filtered lid instead of a verm barrier was a good one. I hate verm barriers!
In your other thread you mentioned wanting to use some of the cakes for something else. Try spawning them to a mini dub tub. They're super easy to make, big enough to get a dry oz from each flush, but small enough for a new grower to take on easily.

Yes I would like to hear what substrate you think I should go with. Also, would it be a good idea or a waste of time to do a few cakes out of this.

I think using a few as regular cakes is a great idea. That's what brf cakes were intended for...

As for what sub you should use, that all depends on what you have access to right now.

Do you have any poo? Coir? Vermiculite? Worm casting? Straw? The possibilities are endless as are the combinations. Heck, I'm even growing some on Organic MG.

Tell me what you got and I'll give you some options on what to do. I sure others will, too.
  • 417outsiders likes this

#35 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

Most contamination's take off like a rocket and waste no time taking over the jar.

It smells like wbs
  • roc likes this

#36 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

I think using a few as regular cakes is a great idea. That's what brf cakes were intended for...
As for what sub you should use, that all depends on what you have access to right now.
Do you have any poo? Coir? Vermiculite? Worm casting? Straw? The possibilities are endless as are the combinations. Heck, I'm even growing some on Organic MG.
Tell me what you got and I'll give you some options on what to do. I sure others will, too.

I have a shit load of verm, medium I believe. I live in the country, there is horse, cow.. whatever.
  • WolfWhiz likes this

#37 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Horse poo is definitely better than cow... I know it can be done with just verm and poo but I am not sure of the ratios.

If you're in the country straw is an excellent substrate additive

Give me some time to check on the ratios, maybe someone else will chime in.

Do you have lime and gypsum?
  • roc and 417outsiders like this

#38 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

It smells like wbs

That's good if it doesn't smell foul or sour!

#39 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

Take Deleena24 advice and do Hpoo!

I like nice and dry piles.

I don't mess with fresh and composting.

You'll be putting moisture back in when you prep it.

1Horse Poop.JPG

3Pasturize poop.JPG

4Drain poop.JPG

Edited by roc, 21 January 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#40 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

A lot if people with horses will give away composted stuff, they clean stalls an pile it. So yet hpoo and straw already composted. Great stuff.
  • Deleena24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!