• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#101 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

I failed to read the other suggestions made before my last response and don't want to conflict with the other great advice given.

I've been on one track and others are on another track. Some of your questions lead us into different directions and it's got to be confusing. I sense in one of your responses you are getting frustrated. I apologize for my role in this!

If you choose to take a small amount of your shit and spawn you are welcome to follow along with my first suggestion.
Click and follow the link in my signature.
It's old and a very long thread but has pictures of the process I've been trying to lead you through.
It's simplistic and the first method I used when moving away from the PF Tek.

Deleena24 and jkdeth have offered excellent guidance and their experience shows to be advanced!
Very impressive!
Again I apologize and did not intend to walk on anybody or contribute to your frustration.

Carry on Grasshopper!

No no no, you gonna upset me apologizing like that. The only person confusing me is myself, and I do a fine job at that. I have set myself up for this by taking multiple approaches, and that's okay, because even if my level of frustration gets high at times, it only takes once, after that I'll hit the ground running. Just keep feeding me info, and criticism when warranted, for sure the latter.
  • roc likes this

#102 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

Yes I would try 1 with only MG one half MG, and the other no MG. Youd be doing a huge favor to me by contributing data and comparisons.

Last 2 question I swear, I am irritating myself hesitating and re reading, and posting.. start tha fucking show huh...
1) Combine them before or after pasteurization?
2) I still have over half my wbs quart jars I pc'd on the 4th, so 4 days ago.. if I don't see any visual or scent cues of contams, can I still safely use them or should I not risk it and make new ones?

You can go ahead and pastuerize things together if you're mixing them anyways. It will save you a step later of combining them.

You can also go ahead and use those jars you made a few days ago, too. PCed grain that is in the jar already should last a minimum couple of weeks, longer if you pop em in the fridge, although the faster you use them the better chance they have of being clean.
  • roc and 417outsiders like this

#103 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

IMG_20190208_0128201.jpg IMG_20190208_0128311.jpg

I think the smaller tubs are called sweater boxes, and I have 4.  I have 4 cakes that I am going to spawn into a substrate mix of 53% hpoo, 37.5% MG, 7% verm, and 2.5% worm castings.  It took some math, but I mixed what I already had done yesterday with MG and straight Hpoo to give me those %'s.   I decided to mix the different subs together because each jar will be a different strain.  It wouldn't have held up against the scientific method with so many variables, and no meaningful trends or conclusions could have been extrapolated from the data.  Plus I dont know what the [email protected]#k I'm doing!  But, I used 2 Cambodia wbfs cakes to make the WBS quart jars.  So, with my grain being all the same strain, coupled with my new, but vast substrate experience gained last night ;-), I plan on having an HPOO vs MG vs MiraclePoo substrate experiment a reality.  Thats for another post, in this post, I added too much boiling water (30 cups), and am dealing with the aftermath.. It stayed closed up for almost 8 hrs and it was still very warm.  I poked holes in 2 trash bags, split the mix into them after pouring off standing water, and squeezed and pushed on them while hanging up.  I was afraid just pouring directly into pillow case that wet might compromise its ability to work as intended.  I will add verm to it after that to get any excess water remaining.

#104 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

When you say MG, do you mean you added chemical fertilizer or potting soil? It very confusing because  the Miracle Gro Brand make so many products.

#105 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,807 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

In this case he's talking about Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil. I think .

#106 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

That is correct, the same stuff D24 has a thread going about now. Nature's Care Organic potting soil, made by MG, sorry for not being specific.

#107 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:29 AM

SUB_2_WET1.jpg WATER_DRIPPING1.jpg

Verifying what we already knew, my mix is WAY TOO WET.  These pics are AFTER I've added 10 cups of verm.  I stopped there because I felt like I may end up doing more harm than good.  Its hard to get a good picture that captures it, but when I squeeze a handful, it starts dripping, not profusely, but more than what is appropriate, from what I have gathered.  Seems to be a little too clumpy.  I will pause this portion of our program and await for a response on what to do from here. 

After a short intermission and a word from our sponsors.. WBSF cakes weigh in after their 24 hr swim. 

#108 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:38 AM

Sorry I’m s little late to this thread.

Are you saying your sub is too wet after pasteurization?

#109 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

Sorry I’m s little late to this thread.

Are you saying your sub is too wet after pasteurization?

yes, and I've even added 10 cups of verm

#110 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:35 AM

Field capicity and/or the amount of moisture can differ from one grower to another. Some like it on the dry side (safer) and some like on the wetter side.

I personally gauge full field capicity as when one squeezes the substrate hard and water drips pretty well from your fist. But not pouring out. It's hard to describe really, you just get a feel for it after a while.

How did you pasteurize?

#111 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

Field capicity and/or the amount of moisture can differ from one grower to another. Some like it on the dry side (safer) and some like on the wetter side.

I personally gauge full field capicity as when one squeezes the substrate hard and water drips pretty well from your fist. But not pouring out. It's hard to describe really, you just get a feel for it after a while.

How did you pasteurize?

I poured rapidly boiling water into the tub that was wrapped in blankets, sitting on one that was electric.  it sat in that state for around 7 hrs, not by design.  I then tried to pour/push/squeeze out as much as possible before putting into 2 pillowcases. Sat there for 4 hrs, then poured into the tub in the picture and added 10c verm.  But your description of ideal field capacity is where its at now.  It drips pretty good, definitely doesn't pour.  It does seem..muddy, kinda clumps together more than I thought it should, but I have zero experience with this other than reading and a couple videos, so my opinion is meaningless honestly.

Edited by 417outsiders, 09 February 2019 - 08:04 AM.

#112 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

This is what I did.IMG_20190209_074326.jpg IMG_20190209_072829.jpg
I put a very thin layer (2 cups) of verm on the bottom of the tubs.IMG_20190209_074833.jpg
Then added just enough sub to cover up the verm.

My thinking here is, if it is a little too wet, the verm will keep the water from pooling up in the low lying areas.

#113 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Where did you get that tek for pasteurization?

If you poured boiling water on manure you will be partially sterilizing it. That is not proper pasteurization. You need the temps of the substrate to be between 140-160 degrees consistently for at least 1 hour.

That works well with coir but not manure.

Verm will help a lot and is recommended for a manure based sub, and can be used to fix muddy/wet subs. But if you poured boiling water over it, and then exposed it to the elements and your hands, you will most likely face contamination down the road.

There are several ways to pasteurize correctly, but unfortunately, that’s not a solid tek IME for a manure based sub.

It may work a few times, but it will not consistently.

The way I pasteurize manure based subs and casing material is to make it up to full field capacity then pour it into a large vessel that can handle heat without melting. Then place into a large pot of water. Then boil the water until the interior of the sub has reached 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Then I turn off the heat until it comes back down to ~145 degrees. Then turn it back on until the temps start to raise again. Then turn off and repeat for the desired time. You need a meat thermometer or something similar for this but it works perfectly everything and there will be no need to squeeze out excess moisture or add more verm.
D127239B-EE7D-4475-AE6F-3D15AAF5B69E.jpeg

There many other ways of doing it. But this is just the way I prefer and works consistently.

Good vibes.
  • roc likes this

#114 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Here are the weight #'s; pre/post/#added for each cake.
(B+) 87.5/132.9/45.4
(BM) 82.6/130.1/47.5
(Men) 100.2/148/47.8
(Cam)92.5/148.2/55.7
IMG_20190208_014544.jpg IMG_20190208_071011.jpg IMG_20190208_021528.jpg IMG_20190209_085443.jpg

Edited by 417outsiders, 09 February 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#115 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

Where did you get that tek for pasteurization?
If you poured boiling water on manure you will be partially sterilizing it. That is not proper pasteurization. You need the temps of the substrate to be between 140-160 degrees consistently for at least 1 hour.
That works well with coir but not manure.
Verm will help a lot and is recommended for a manure based sub, and can be used to fix muddy/wet subs. But if you poured boiling water over it, and then exposed it to the elements and your hands, you will most likely face contamination down the road.
There are several ways to pasteurize correctly, but unfortunately, that’s not a solid tek IME for a manure based sub.
It may work a few times, but it will not consistently.
The way I pasteurize manure based subs and casing material is to make it up to full field capacity then pour it into a large vessel that can handle heat without melting. Then place into a large pot of water. Then boil the water until the interior of the sub has reached 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Then I turn off the heat until it comes back down to ~145 degrees. Then turn it back on until the temps start to raise again. Then turn off and repeat for the desired time. You need a meat thermometer or something similar for this but it works perfectly everything and there will be no need to squeeze out excess moisture or add more verm.
attachicon.gifD127239B-EE7D-4475-AE6F-3D15AAF5B69E.jpeg
There many other ways of doing it. But this is just the way I prefer and works consistently.
Good vibes.

I know how I got off course, what had happened was... To much information.. I have been reading a shit ton of posts, using various substrates, and their method to prepare sub for spawn. Somehow in my mind I combined a post where someone used boiling water and a bucket with what Roc said, which was; I only needed hot water and a pillowcase; not boiling water and a pillowcase. It's not past the point of no return. If this is doomed to fail, I am not one to stay on the sinking ship out of pride, like Trump supporters, I will admit I was wrong and do some damage control.
  • peacefrog likes this

#116 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

There is nothing wrong with messing up at all. In fact it is my opinion that it’s just part of the learning experience.

I grew so much mold and bacteria back in my infancy as a cultivator, it was pitiful lol.

Every mistake only makes you stronger if you learn from it.

An old mentor of mine once told me “if your are not f%$&ing up, you’re not learning”. I still live by that today.

You are doing a good job so far my friend and believe me, we all want you to succeed. We are all here to help and learn.

Again good vibes! You are the right place to learn and share.

#117 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Don't lose hope the grow can turn out fine.
  • roc likes this

#118 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

What's the best thing to do with your wbsf jars when you have procrastinated to the point they look like this? Or do you proceed as planned.IMG_20190211_000353.jpg IMG_20190211_000329.jpg

#119 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,069 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:01 PM

Nice invitro grow!

You can let them go a few more days and harvest or harvest now. No big rush for a procrastinator LOL!

Your can then crumble / shred and use the as spawn or grow them as cakes.

Congratulations on your Hippie3 neglect tek invitro grow!

Edited by roc, 11 February 2019 - 12:04 PM.

• 417outsiders likes this

#120 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

Nice invitro grow!

You can let them go a few more days and harvest or harvest now. No big rush for a procrastinator LOL!

Your can then crumble / shred and use the as spawn or grow them as cakes.

Congratulations on your Hippie3 neglect tek invitro grow!

Agreed. Let em go another day or 2, then use them as spawn. They should be really clean since they're invitro.

Nice fruits BTW

Edited by Deleena24, 11 February 2019 - 12:21 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!