• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

If it's from mucked stalls it'll need six months or more to compost due to the high content of urine.

Horses piss a lot and it's tempting to grab because they have straw as well but the quickest way to kill a good jar of spawn is some hot poo.
The nitrogen content is high!

I never had any luck with bagged poo because of this problem.

All I'm saying is be careful with a mucked stall unless it's been composted well!

Have you tried adding earth worms to it? We used to flush Hpoo for a few days and then add worms to it.. didn't take long to compost and the worms are profitable...

#142 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:00 AM

F2F is grain to grain. Using spawn to make more spawn. You don't do that to hpoo. Hpoo is part of a substrate. You add spawn to a substrate as the last step before growing mushrooms

Yes, I see how I confusing that reads now, but that is my intention, to add my bsf cakes to wbs jars, allow to colonize, then add that to a bulk substrate of some variation of hpoo/coir/straw/castings/lime/gypsum.

Question: I have plenty WBS, so should I crumble all cakes into WBS grain jars? Then, from there, experiment with some different methods?

If the cakes are clean, sure. It would probably be a good idea to start some of that WBS from spores, just in case the transfers dont turn out clean.

Instead of crumbling, have you considered using the cakes to make a Liquid Innoculant aka LI? It would probably be a bit easier to do than actually crumbling the cakes, but that's a matter of opinion.

You basically inject the cakes with sterile water, shake em around a bit, then suck the water back up. It should be full of live mycelium which takes off very quickly.

This is a Haiku and added to the notebook Thanks!

#143 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:52 AM

post-157492-0-07597800-1549919970_thumb.

3:1 ratio sub/spawn.  After I mixed them up and spread it out evenly, I placed a very thin layer of sub covering the sub/spawn mix.  As for the tub itself, I drilled a hole at each end and two in the lid, all stuffed with polyfil.

post-157492-0-37479100-1549920123_thumb. post-157492-0-21695300-1549920250_thumb.

Improvising, I used the plastic to keep the last two cake mixes separate. If given their own tub, they would be spread too thin...

FAST FORWARD 3 DAYS

After seeing more pics of tubs after spawning, before fruiting, I decided mine needed a couple more holes (and maybe it also gave me the excuse to look inside for the first time).  Given my unorthodox timeline (putting it nicely) I thought it be wise to post some pics w/ questions about their appearance.

attachicon.gif20190213_224326.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20190213_223956.jpgattachicon.gif20190213_224356.jpgattachicon.gif20190213_224337.jpg

My questions are (1) the pic of the corner, please tell me to stop being paranoid that it is just super fluffy myc, and (2) When does condensation become a problem?  Not sure how well you can see the amount on the lid in that pic, but it has quite a bit of water on it.  A follow up question would be, if I am past the acceptable amount, what should I do, if anything to dial it back in.

And here are pics of day14 for the 3 wbfs 1/2 pint jars.

BM_B+.jpg base_stem_blue.jpg

20190223_025219.jpg

I am not sure, but my hypothesis on why the color changed from bluish, to the more common tan, was because I didn't have adequate fae at the beginning.  The point at which they changed is still visible on the stems as seen in the picture.  Kinda reminds me of when a snake sheds its skin, except I have a slight phobia of snakes... drifting... sorry. They are only 1" thick and seemed to be drying a little, so I harvested them.  The BM side weighed in at 48.2BM_1stflush48.2g.jpg .

The B+ side, a little less at 37.1. I had quite a few little guys on the sides, even a few underneath.  For fruiting, the shoebox has been sitting in a bigger tub with perlite underneath.  I put each one into their own ziploc bag full of water for 12 hours, added another rack on top of the first one, and they are now lying directly on top of the second rack.  No picture at this time, but one will be forthcoming.  

Now for the late guy to the party.  This is same mix/ratio, just with 2 jars of cambodia.  Did this one dub tub style. The design..is.. not traditional..We hot glued polyfil al the way around the top tub where it sits on the bottom one with no fasteners connecting them.  Its looked greyish, but its slowly coming around.

dub.jpg c2sub_day12.jpg

Edited by 417outsiders, 24 February 2019 - 01:01 AM.

#144 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

Notice in your picture, the direction the fruit are growing, toward your FAE holes. You'll see better fruits with more FAE.
  • 417outsiders likes this

#145 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:21 AM

OK, so you are using your SGFC and perlite and adding monotub inside... does this keep from having to deal with perlite when you soak for further flushes? 

#146 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

Notice in your picture, the direction the fruit are growing, toward your FAE holes. You'll see better fruits with more FAE

Very good observation, no I had not made the correlation. I will fan more often, but do you think it advantageous for more holes? The entire seam is polyfilled (pretend it's a word).

#147 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

I like airflow at substrate level or pretty close. They're pretty good at finding the "freshest" air source. If that's limited, you'll find the mushrooms pointing at it.

#148 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:12 PM

hpoo_OMG_day7.jpg

This is ready to fruit correct?  Assuming it is, invoking the fruiting stage is at hand.  I would like to know thoughts on how to go about that.  I have an identical tub if I want to go dub style, or I can put some saran wrap with a few holes for now, put it into a fruiting chamber...? Any strong opinions one way or the other?

#149 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

OK, so you are using your SGFC and perlite and adding monotub inside... does this keep from having to deal with perlite when you soak for further flushes? 

The way I understand it, with a mono tub inside a bigger one, (TiT, or Tub in Tub is the term i think) when its time to dunk, you just fill tub all the way up with water, throw the lid on it, then drain after 12-24 hrs and return to said chamber.  Remember the title, emphasis on rookie, but that is how I understand it to go.

• WolfWhiz likes this

#150 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:51 PM

The way I understand it, with a mono tub inside a bigger one, (TiT, or Tub in Tub is the term i think) when its time to dunk, you just fill tub all the way up with water, throw the lid on it, then drain after 12-24 hrs and return to said chamber.  Remember the title, emphasis on rookie, but that is how I understand it to go.

No, by all means I am learning acronyms... I was wondering about perlite beneath Sub, this answers that... what do you do to decontaminate the perlite after each flush or no need too?

#151 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

No, by all means I am learning acronyms... I was wondering about perlite beneath Sub, this answers that... what do you do to decontaminate the perlite after each flush or no need too?

I have been wondering that myself, Ive not been able to find too much on the subject.  One tek that is pinned here, describes keeping standing water for the perlite to float in and ading bleach to it every couple weeks.  However, the general consensus seems to be strain it with absolutely no extra water.  So to answer your question, well, I can't, I feel an I don't know would be a healthier response than to send you down the wrong path.  Where I am at with it is I am going to rinse with bleach water after a couple weeks to finish up with the last flush or two, but after that toss it and begin the next one with new perlite.  The vaults here hold more valuable info than Quaker has oats, so let me know what you find and I'll do the same. 

#152 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

attachicon.gifhpoo_OMG_day7.jpg

This is ready to fruit correct?  Assuming it is, invoking the fruiting stage is at hand.  I would like to know thoughts on how to go about that.  I have an identical tub if I want to go dub style, or I can put some saran wrap with a few holes for now, put it into a fruiting chamber...? Any strong opinions one way or the other?

Looked at the sides and bottom for first time, i've had it blocked off from light to discourage pinning from anywhere but the top.  Not 100% sure, but the corner just under the surface there, doesnt seem to be substrate not colonized, but rather a dark growth. I HOPE NOT.. what says ye

bottom_corner.jpg

#153 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

I have been wondering that myself, Ive not been able to find too much on the subject.  One tek that is pinned here, describes keeping standing water for the perlite to float in and ading bleach to it every couple weeks.  However, the general consensus seems to be strain it with absolutely no extra water.  So to answer your question, well, I can't, I feel an I don't know would be a healthier response than to send you down the wrong path.  Where I am at with it is I am going to rinse with bleach water after a couple weeks to finish up with the last flush or two, but after that toss it and begin the next one with new perlite.  The vaults here hold more valuable info than Quaker has oats, so let me know what you find and I'll do the same. 

I read that too, also they mention Peroxide, since I live in a pot legal state I have 35% peroxide for aeroponics systems already; I guess I will use that as a bath to try.

#154 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

Just keep the perlite wet. No need for standing water, bleach, or peroxide. Rehydrate it with salt water. Perlite doesn't harbor bacteria and mood won't grow on it. I've used the same perlite for as long as year. Come to think of I've never "changed" perlite. Only time I've tossed it was because I was moving, wasn't going to need it for a while, and big tub of wet perlite was inconvenient.
  • 417outsiders and WolfWhiz like this

#155 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

Just keep the perlite wet. No need for standing water, bleach, or peroxide. Rehydrate it with salt water. Perlite doesn't harbor bacteria and mood won't grow on it. I've used the same perlite for as long as year. Come to think of I've never "changed" perlite. Only time I've tossed it was because I was moving, wasn't going to need it for a while, and big tub of wet perlite was inconvenient.

Cool, thx. But bro, the post before that, is that what I think it is? I want it to just be non colonized sub, but it has it's own.. I don't know, I hope the picture is good enough to see it well enough.

#156 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

That doesn't look good. I think that will get worse. Hard to be sure looking at a picture. But if its bad, you definitely see it get worse.

#157 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

That doesn't look good. I think that will get worse. Hard to be sure looking at a picture. But if its bad, you definitely see it get worse.

I've isolated it, if it grows at all, im cutting out a big chunk and tossing it. Hopefully that will enable whats left to fruit, but its staying isolated for whatever lifespan it has left

• roc likes this

#158 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:48 AM

20190225_133522.jpg 20190225_133437.jpg

Well I cut out a section because worry got the best of me.  I put it in a freezer bag, and with it sealed, I took it out in the garage to take a closer look.  It was just wet sub.  My question now becomes, what, if anything special do I need to do to the new edges I created?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190225_133437.jpg

#159 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:14 AM

Check out this monster Cambodian.  These pics are all within a two day period.  I would like a few more like that, a proper canopy, but its cool anyway. Only thing is the stem split as you can see in the one pic, is that a sign of something lacking or too much of,  that I need to correct?20190224_162826.jpg 20190225_134559.jpg 20190225_134624.jpg 20190225_173819.jpg 20190225_174255.jpg

Weird how that big fruit was the first one by far to come from that tub.  Here is the rest of the tub.

20190226_001311.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!