6 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

ALL of the therapeutic ingredients in ALL of medicine thats mostly consumed in the US, is made in China.  This blew my mind because some people talk about knock off Opiates being more dangerous if they come from China, but it turns out, they ALL come from China, because thats where they can be made the cheapest, for the best margins.  Big Pharma is already the worlds most profitable business industry, but I didnt know that those profits go to China, the world's fastest growing economy. 

The biggest part of this problem besides no one knowing about it, is that we are solely dependent on one nation, China, for antibiotics, so therefore if there ever really was a conflict, our soldiers wouldnt have access to life saving medicines such as antibiotics.  This was an aspect of the China versus Trump theater, I hadnt yet considered.  Ralph Nader for Prez 2020!

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 17 January 2019 - 01:55 PM.

• Myc likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

I am all for having fewer products produced in China, the fastest growing global player/world power... They get bolder and bolder... 

There is a significant difference between the opiates that come from China on the black market and opiates/pharmaceuticals that are being produced in China for American pharmaceutical companies. The "knock off" drugs face no real quality control guarantees beyond what is upheld by the production facility. The chemicals being produced for american company have to go through a process to verify purity, etc... That is what is scary about the black market stuff... You never really know what you are getting...

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

Okay, now with all that said, something even more dark and scary has happened.  Even opiates now are being produced synthetically, which makes them far cheaper to produce and far more dangerous..i.e. bath salts, flipping out, zombies eating peoples' faces, and so on.  This only happens with synthetic molecules that are being exploited by those who can replicate public research on synthetic canabanoid synthesis, which is really in its infancy so the danger meter is through the roof; unbeknownst to most of us.  This new escalated danger -factor should refocus us DIYers on organic growing so that we always know what it is that we are partaking in... Beware brothers and sisters.

https://www.npr.org/...-reefer-madness

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 18 January 2019 - 03:13 PM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

In this current period of my life (this may change), if I can't grow it, brew it, distill it, ferment it, extract it, or lay it (I had to include this last one) myself, I will not partake... I may not be the one who is actually doing the preparation but if it is not something I could do myself given time and raw materials, I'm gonna have to pass.I had to throw the "lay it" in there because I am not capable of preparing my own L really and I simply couldn't justify leaving it off this list.

Now, for discussions sake...

How do you feel about LSD? LSD is semi-synthetic and TYPICALLY I don't see people eating faces... There might be some face stealing going on but face eating is typically left up on the shelf...

Synthetic Cannabinoids have been around for decades. There was synthetic reefer back when I was in high school and I recently realized that I am not too far from no longer being able to refer to myself as a young man.... K2 and spice are synthetic cannabinoids and those labels are used to cover a fairly extensive list of chemicals I believe... I am also of the opinion that if the actual, naturally occurring alkaloids are easily obtainable, there is little need to chase these other highs. People pursued synthetic reefer to beat drug tests, etc... With medical marijuana and the expanding recreational market, reefer will become more obtainable and there will be less reason to pursue the synthetics. I think there will be more research spent on ways to optimize the naturally occurring alkaloids in Cannabis rather than pursuing further synthetic versions.

I don't know that the naturally produced cathinones (bath salts) are any less face bitey than the synthetic ones... My knowledge of bath salts is limited and experience with their effects even more so, but When I think of bath salts, I don't really think that there are chill bath salts and not so chill bath salts... There are naturally produced cathinones...

Fentynal and Carfentynal are scary... It is amazing how powerful they are and I am glad the first steps have been taken toward limiting their flow from China. There are other, less known, opioid research chemicals that are most likely still available.

I think it is prohibition that leads to a desire to find synthetic/analog drugs. When the alkaloid is no longer illegal or it can be easily obtained, there is no reason to scour the dark corners of the internet looking for something that will beat a drug test or falls in a grey area with the law... There are a lot of shitty synthetic molecules and there are a lot of shitty naturally occurring molecules... Methamphetamine sucks but so does Morphine.

I think this is a more nuanced discussion than "Hey, Synthetic molecules suck!"... I have a certain affinity of LSD and it needs to my synthesized from the lysergic acid that naturally occurs in Ergot... And by the way, LSD is WAY less face bitey than Lysergic Acid!

• riseabovethought likes this

#5 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Yes, especially in that particular aspect, I agree with the argument that synthetic compounds might fill a useful gap in society on one level, but now that Big Pharma (and Big Brother Predatory Capitalism in general) knows that the margin for producing synthetic cannabinoids is so much more profitable than the safer real stuff, exponentially so, we will be inevitably inundated with a surplus of dangerous compounds all over the street, straight up killing people and permanently injuring even more until we consumers insist on the real shit. 

So, needless to say, shits about to get real dangerous for the average 'Sure, I'll try that' -Joe.  Kudos to you and anyone else willing to protect themselves from poisoning themselves with synthetic K2 -spin offs, as its expected to accelerate until the market insists on safe real shit again (with some exceptions, of course). 

K2 sucks, synthetic cannabinoids suck and are dangerous, and I am so disinterested in the next synthetic K2 or opiate spin- off.  Only problem is, Im in the minority on this one.  Big business will be coming for that profit, so dont fall for that trick people!  Wow, self grows just got even more important than they used to be. 

As China has become the Pharmacy to the world, Canada will become the Cannabis Pharmacy to the world.  Once again, we lag behind...but nonetheless many small victories have made me really hopeful for the future.  

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 18 January 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here:

We must - at the individual level - learn pre Civil War era medicine. 

It was during the Civil War that we discovered bromine and its use in basic surgical procedures to save lives. 

We used clove oil for tooth-aches, menthol for stuffy noses,..........if you had an ailment, there was a home remedy for just about anything. 

Now - for those of you who still watch mainstream teevee - society is bombarded by ads for medications. Some medications are sold as remedy for "made-up ilnesses" - like the toenail fungus drug..............f-ing serious. 

I think the really MONSTER problem we're dealing with is a lack of good orderly direction. A society with nothing better to do will busy itself with all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. 

We need to find a PURPOSE for our country. A unified goal toward which we can all aspire and contribute - much like the efforts of WWII only (preferably) without all of the dying and murdering. 

That, or we can just stand around and argue over the fabric choice used for the drapes - while the house burns down behind our backs. 

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

We need to find a PURPOSE for our country.

I think I found it.   I've been watching Steven Wright videos.   It has made it all quite clear.

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!