• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

Check out these beasts on sale at wal-mart. They are HUGE monotubs... They are considered Christmas Tree Wheelers and are 3-4x the size of a typical monotub. It's like 5 feet long by 2.5 feet wide w/ wheels... There on clearance at Wally world for $15.

Figured I'd post this for anyone looking for upgrades lol. I seen this and thought of you folks. You could pull a monster flush from that bastard =)
  • sandman likes this

#2 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

It doesnt seem like cubes scale up to very large substrates so well. I've seen things like kiddie pools used here and there over the years and they usually turn out mediocre compared to the amount of substrate going in there. Lots of heat and stuff, maybe. Could be like a horizontal martha though with a bunch of subs. also i sent you a pm a few days ago did you get it?

Edited by sandman, 18 January 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#3 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

Can you post a link? I may have other uses for such a big tub.

#4 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

It doesnt seem like cubes scale up to very large substrates so well. I've seen things like kiddie pools used here and there over the years and they usually turn out mediocre compared to the amount of substrate going in there. Lots of heat and stuff, maybe. Could be like a horizontal martha though with a bunch of subs. also i sent you a pm a few days ago did you get it?

I'm no authority on it but I agree. My one attempt to 'go big' with a monster bin and cube cambo resulted in cobweb and other contam and issues I had never had with my smaller (12 qt) bins. I did a gas sampling at one time and found that my CO2 was high and off the scale. That is, my usual technique for GE while colonizing was inadequate and the bin took a hit that it never recovered from. Makes sense since substrate volume increases as a cubic exponential of the bin size while GE is of a lesser order. Or at least that is my thought on the matter.

Same goes for big spawn jars for CO2 production vs GE IMO so be wary - some things don't scale well. Or perhaps they scale but you have to know the tricks to make it work.

But I do agree! That big bin would make an awesome, low profile FC or Martha of sorts!

• sandman and coorsmikey like this

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,976 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Anecdotal citizen scientist evidence suggests anything over 66 qts gets sketchy.
  • sandman likes this

#6 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

I really like the idea of the horizontal Martha.
  • sandman likes this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 504 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

heh horizontal Martha Stuart

heh sorry man pig moment

#8 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Shit sorry I thought I posted a picture lol. I must not have uploaded it.

I've seen them at two Walmarts locally. f1f107c91ba266e62dda5cf10ae41b18.jpg
  • raymycoto likes this

#9 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Guess my bathtub tek wouldn't have worked out.

#10 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

^^^^^ Buy that tree carrier drill a few holes, throw 3 inches of substrate in there w/ some colonized spawn and you should be good to go. ^^^^

..... 7-13 days later you'd be pulling a monster flush out of that thing.

Simple as that.

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

That may be perfect for setting my Martha on or in. Maybe I'd just need the lid...

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,976 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

Actually, come to think of it, years ago I used one like that to catch any drip from my SGFC. Had a couple bricks in and the SGFC on the bricks.

#13 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

Yea depending on scale you could grow right in it as an XXL mono or have several smaller grows in them in a semi clean environment by Drilling some holes with tubing and a humidifier and them use it as a high humidity FC. The possibilities are endless

#14 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 465 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

Was sort of joking about the bathtub but I did consider it as a sort of FC or Martha. Have a large oval and rather deep tub that we never use. Thought of creating a top for it using 5/8" foam paneling used in homes on the frame (because I already had a big sheet). Light, waterproof, easy to cut to the shape of the tub.

Put a couple of fans on the top in the inward direction and I had a couple of nice shop vac hepa filters that fit the back of the fans exactly. Pos pressure rather than negative for better air quality. On timer, of course and then an outside humi via hose. Or could put in a couple inches of antibiotic (bleach, salt?) water with bubblers and then some of those fluorescent diffuser panels to keep above the water level (great idea from another thread). Reptile warming pad on the tub bottom with thermostat probe in the air. Then some LEDs on the underside of the sheet of foam.

It does take care of any leak concerns or cleanup issues.

Edited by raymycoto, 19 January 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#15 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

I tend to use my bathtub to take showers in :D damn hippies

• coorsmikey likes this

#16 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

Was sort of joking about the bathtub but I did consider it as a sort of FC or Martha. Have a large oval and rather deep tub that we never use. Thought of creating a top for it using 5/8" foam paneling used in homes on the frame (because I already had a big sheet). Light, waterproof, easy to cut to the shape of the tub.

Put a couple of fans on the top in the inward direction and I had a couple of nice shop vac hepa filters that fit the back of the fans exactly. Pos pressure rather than negative for better air quality. On timer, of course and then an outside humi via hose. Or could put in a couple inches of antibiotic (bleach, salt?) water with bubblers and then some of those fluorescent diffuser panels to keep above the water level (great idea from another thread). Reptile warming pad on the tub bottom with thermostat probe in the air. Then some LEDs on the underside of the sheet of foam.

It does take care of any leak concerns or cleanup issues.

That's Hardcore in the hobby brother! Serious shit there bud,

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!