Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

BRF jar Grow wiped out by trich in FC -what went wrong?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Trying to clean up a trich outbreak in fc and have been trying to figure out what went wrong/ why so I can (try)to prevent future issues. Any help/ pointers appreciated.

Following the M4M tech on my 4th grow. BRF jars seemed to incubate well and no sign of contams at birthing. FC is aquarium with plexiglass lid , I wiped down FC with alcohol between grows, reused perlite , after 24 soak in bleach water, heavily salted water used for perlite. Using a 'grow light'
5 hours a day over aqariums

Cakes had seemed to take a bit longer to recover from dunk and roll than prior attempts time to re-show pins approximately 2weeks. However the weather has been colder with this grow so rate of growth was not yet a concern. The tank with the worst outbreak did have a basementy smell to it early on, however no cakes developed the green tint until this week.

I stopped misting thinking this might be the culprit as I could see standing water below the pearlite, and still had condensation on 2 walls of the tank.
I also cut back on the fanning and FA with the concern I was just adding contams and blowing them around.

The only environment change from the previous successful grows is now on central heat instead of FA /- open windows.

Cause of trich?

Besides good housekeeping, should any additional decontamination procedures be implemented?

I have a new bag of perlite, retiring this batch to the garden and plan to bleach water soak the tanks and lids.

Once I rid the grow area of the contams my goal is to attempt a larger grow. I have read through a few of the bulk teks etc. Not sure which would be the most logical next step though.

Veteran growers your thoughts? I have a jar of fully colonized grain, just not sure which direction to go with it.

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

Hoping other people chime in, but maybe, just maybe, it's because of the heating system. Make sure you filter is good on your furnace. I had a small outbreak right after I had to turn mine on.

A simple cleaning fixed it for me.
  • Oneyedraven likes this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

Check your actual temps. Make sure things aren't getting too hot. Check heat vents for mold. But most likely with cakes its from the spore solution. When are you seeing the trich?

#4 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:02 AM

The trich is occurring concurrently with pin/mushroom formation. Or just prior to fruiting.

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

Is bet on the spore solution, unless the cakes are being birthed too early. A fully colonized cake is pretty resistant to trich contamination until after a couple flushes.

To be fruited as cakes, they shouldn't be birthed till you see pins in the jar.
  • coorsmikey and Oneyedraven like this

#6 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

JKD thank you for this helpful info... Could be either or both of these I used my 'own' spore print and I could have jumped the gun on birthing.

#7 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

It's probably the latter. A fully colonized cake is pretty resistant.

Jkd has really good advice. Wait for a pin or 2 before birthing. Or at the very least give them 4 or 5 days after they're fully colonized.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!