• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

I got two jars I inoculated couple of weeks ago that have this very thick and white mycelium . I'm wondering what this red spot is and how should I proceed with these two jars. The other jar doesn't have the red spot as big and dense as this. Jars have myscelium piss already but are not 100% colonized...just about there. I was planning to birth these after they began to pin but now I'm wondering if I should birth/dunk them, unless this is some kind of contam. The mysc. is about 1.5mm thick on some spots, first time I see this.

This stuff is on the jar's lid and the alu. foil. too. I was thinking it was rust that transferred into the jar?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4745.JPG

Edited by TheArchangel, 18 January 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#2 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Looks like the mycelium is producing metabolites to kill a contaminant. Unless someone else thinks differently and has advice , I would ride it out till whatever inevitable conclusion it comes to. Or simply may be rust.

Edited by HooKworm, 18 January 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

Red is a bad color. Could be contaminant that's actually dangerous to you. Dispose of carefully.
  • PinkMenace and TheArchangel like this

#4 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

Red is a bad color. Could be contaminant that's actually dangerous to you. Dispose of carefully.

Good to know! I've seen it in agar before.

#5 TheArchangel

TheArchangel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Thx, to the trash it went. I think it was Cinnamon Brown Mold Chromelosporium fulva. I'm concerned about other jars from this batch that do not show this contam. but they're wet from myc. piss and about 90+ colonized. Any thoughts.

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,854 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Red is a good color....When its on a pregnancy test  :tongue:

Edited by coorsmikey, 18 January 2019 - 06:57 PM.

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

I was molested by the color red as a child. And the number 7.

#8 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,361 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

Actually, healthy P. Tampanensis forms reddish brown veins right where a stone is about to appear, especially on BRF cakes. Some of the other stone producers do, too, but the Tampanensis especially.

Other than that, yeah, red bad. Red real bad. Unless it's a redhead. When a redhead is pretty...don't get me started.

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:24 AM

That looks like pink oyster myc. If it is, you are ok. If not, no bueno. Very toxic.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!