Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

HELP laminar bench build .......a few Questions ?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

Just don't over design it to the point where you get frustrated and get bored and don't finish it.

That's actually aimed at myself, as I've done that a time or two.
  • sandman likes this

#22 spakk

spakk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

FreshCapMushrooms on YouTube has a very good video on the planning phase of a DIY flow hood. Gives all of the specs and calculations you need. There's also a part two that goes into detail on the build.

• RedOctober and bezevo like this

#23 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:37 AM

Excellent work and planning! I've yet to finish my own project but it seems like you have done your homework and are equipped with the knowledge you'll need to really get this done.

One question I have is, how extensive is your woodworking area and tool arsenal?

I knew very little about woodworking when I got started, so the project served a dual purpose as both flowhood build, and intro to woodworking, which I'm enjoying very much and could see becoming a real hobby. 

Just a little peek into my own journey and what I found useful. Might save you some bucks in the end because I bought lots of unnecessary shit and made many mistakes along the way. You certainly do NOT need all of these tools and can improvise where you need to, but some tools I found very helpful bordering on necessary are the following:

-A track saw or table saw: I bought the cheapest track saw(about $150) because these damn things are expensive as hell. I don't have the room for a table saw. I got super tired of making cuts using a piece of aluminum as a fence for my circular saw, and the cuts never seemed to come out with the requisite precision.

-Router: This is indispensable if you're going to do general woodworking. An extremely versatile tool. Would recommend a plunge router vs fixed if you're only going to have one. This is what I used to make the perfect circular cut in the roof of the hood and bottom of fan box. You could accomplish the same thing with a Dremel or jigsaw I'd imagine. It's just much easier with a router

-Speed Square (Rafter square): Makes measuring angles and perpendicular marking super easy

-Saw Horses: If you don't have a work table or bench, you can use a pair of sawhorses some 2x4s and a plywood board to create one. Just cut up a 2x4 into many small pieces to use as standoffs when you are cutting your actual board on top of your "workbench board" so that you don't slice into your makeshift table

Adjustable Trigger Clamps: I like the Dewalt ones but they're a little pricey. These things are indispensable for holing your boards in place while you are making cuts

Now if you're super handy and really clever you could probably build the whole project with just a jigsaw... but you'd have to be pretty skilled. 

• MycoBabe, SteampunkScientist and bezevo like this

#24 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

hey thanks for vid link spakk and thanks for momments  RedOctober

• RedOctober likes this

#25 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

Some excellent advice here!

#26 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

Possible materials for cabinet build ?

A member recommended i check out this pre-finished material  for my cabinet build, they have iron on strips for cut edges for clean finish .  looks good .

Any one worked with this product ?

https://www.homedepo...61877/100070209

I  am also looking at cabinet grade 3/4 inch plywood and few types of  pre-finished laminates for kitchen cabinets

Please Share Your Suggestions For possible materials !

thanks

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 28 January 2019 - 02:44 PM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#27 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

I've built speaker cabinets with that sort of particle board.  As long as it is seal up tight so it does not get wet, it will work, but that stuff can get heavy fast!

#28 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

well  yes Steam Punk i am afraid whether i use  cabinet grade pre-sanded 3/4 inch ply wood  or the above material it will be heavy monster ! heh !

Stained plywood with marine grade  clear gloss would look cool . extra work . I want finished unite to look professional .

I am going to check out some pre finished laminates made for kitchen cabinets also ............there are lots new high tek products ..

again  suggestions welcome

#29 sandman

sandman

Meanie PooPoo Head

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Bro just go to home depot and buy their best grade 3/4 inch plywood lol what in tarnation.

#30 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

YA  Sandy  .......GOOD ADVISE .That's were i'm leaning ............but i like to  eeerrrrr ! 

REALLY ! REALLY ! Compelled To
OCD ! OVER THINK THINGS !  HEH !

#31 sandman

sandman

Meanie PooPoo Head

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

more chop chop less talk talk

• SteampunkScientist, Cuboid and Pipeline like this

#32 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Bro just go to home depot and buy their best grade 3/4 inch plywood lol what in tarnation.

What in Lamination!  :tongue:

Fact is I have seen a laminar flow hood made out of 2 clear plastic totes, a squirrel cage fan and a laminar filter all glued together with clear silicone. Simple, cheap, effective. Maybe not too durable, but hey, what is your ultimate goal?  If it is not to build laminar flow hoods, but is to make agar and spawn jars, then in the words of the cable guy...

Get'r done!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 29 January 2019 - 01:42 PM.

#33 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

LONG AGO IN A GALAXY FAR AWAY !  i  attempted a Ghetto type  set up with several  merv 13 furnace hepa filters  glued together, mounted in a tote ect  This was  about 15 yrs ago ............let's say  This was A FALE !

I am NOW attempting to go for a "real"   laminar flow bench , and avoiding the Ghetto looking questionable tek . .

I seek to build A functional unite that looks and works like commercial professional set up , well that's my goal .

Sandy i need to... talk !...talk ..!  ...plan ...! plan...!  careful because want to avoid wasted money and Home Despot is 200 mile round trip here from BFE .............ok everything is 100 miles to 200 miles round trip ha !

So planning is important  before shopping expedition . heh  , THE JOYS OF BFE !

THANKS For your Input . Sandy n Steam Punk !

Edited by bezevo, 29 January 2019 - 02:20 PM.

• sandman and SteampunkScientist like this

#34 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

Ah, I see your point. The 200 mile round trip means you need to know everything your going to need down to the screws and glue.

Then, yes good planning up front is going to save a lot of time, money, and frustration.

#35 sandman

sandman

Meanie PooPoo Head

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

I just ordered myself a filter and blower today to make myself a new hood (don't ask).... If I finish before you.......................

I'm trying to incorporate a Magnahelic gauge on this one to measure the static pressure inside the plenum, I will be able to monitor the filter life by the increase in pressure over time.

#36 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:39 AM

I put one of these radon gauges (Manometer) on my hood to measure the vacuum differential pressure. You could make your own with tubing and colored water, although these use a very non-viscous colored oil.

Radon-Away-50017-Easy-Read-Manometer-blu

• sandman likes this

#37 sandman

sandman

Meanie PooPoo Head

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

Why do that when you can put on a cheap surplus Magnahellic that is really easy to read and hookup? Gauges are way more steam punk bro!

• coorsmikey likes this

#38 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

OK  sandman ummm  no clue exactly what a Magnahellic gauge  is ,   could explain um  static pressure ect  as  i ham struggling a bit with figuring the science and theory of achieving true laminar flow across face of filter how to dial it in with speed controller , ect

would this FANCY heh Magnahellic gauge be helpful for me .

now sandman what size filter did you order and what fan ? details  cool cool

#39 sandman

sandman

Meanie PooPoo Head

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

Static pressure represents the resistance that the air has to pass through. The magnahelic or other pressure differential devices measure this pressure difference from atmosphere pressure. It's not really helpful for your laminar flow at all, it's just to show you what the pressure is behind the filter, as it clogs up the pressure goes up to a certain point it should be changed this is called "final pressure drop". It's not necessary at all just getting fancy, found a magnehelic for $20 on fleabay so why not. 

details on my project are highly classified. HIGHLY I SAID! 

Laminar flow requires that your filter is designed for laminar flow period, nothing you can do to make a non laminar designed filter work for a flowhood. You either got one designed for flow benches and medical stuff or not. As long as you are providing a proper designed filter with a nice even pressured plenum you will have laminar flow.

Edited by sandman, 30 January 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#40 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

SANDMAN : " details on my project are highly classified. HIGHLY I SAID! "

Translation i'm  going to live in HELL  if THE PANTS  Finds out !

heh now i want a Magnahellic guage thing i don't understand heh  because it sounds all cool !

i was hoping to make cabinet so it could be cracked open so the  filter or fan can be replaced if necessary yrs in future .

perhaps i do want/need a Magnahellic gauge hummm.. ? ?

Edited by bezevo, 30 January 2019 - 11:20 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!