Jars are two thirds full, give or take. I've been using those plastic Ziploc twist n' loc jars, which have a pretty big air space in the top. Also, I don't crank the lids down tight, so maybe there's a bit of exchange through the threads of the jar? Anyway, I think I'm done with holes.
I guarantee that you do have some leak around your jar lids for GE and that's a good thing. I have played around extensively with lid holes and filters and measured CO2 and O2 in both jars with proper GE and others that are totally sealed. The myc in a spawn jar will definitely exhaust the O2 and the CO2 will rise to over 250 torr (around 30%) before stalling. O2 at this point will be around 3 or 4%.
I, too, had the idea that perhaps I could totally seal a jar with a rather huge ratio of air to spawn volume. I did several jars with about 200 cc of grain spawn to the remainder of the quart free air or about a 1:4 ratio. My thinking was that perhaps there is some ratio that will allow a totally sealed jar.
Well there may be and certainly is some ratio that would work but turns out that it was not 1:4. Those sealed jars eventually exhausted their O2 in spite of the 200 cc grain and 800 cc air and that was over about one week. And I had even flushed 2 of 4 jars with pure O2 and it did not seem to make a difference. This was not a super thorough investigation but it told me what I wanted to know - that there did not appear to be a practical low limit to a spawn volume that would self sustain in a closed jar. That is, the amount of spawn would be so small as to be rather useless.
I got the idea from the fact that a sealed petri seems to never exhaust its O2 nor get excessively hypercapnic. (I poked holes in some month to 6 week old, well colonized (to the point of bluing) saran sealed plates with a needle and sampled the gas finding O2 still at around 15% and CO2 of 70mmHg. Perhaps saran is partly gas permeable though, don't know.
Sorry, long winded answer to why I feel confident you have a therapeutic gas leak in those lids. Perhaps just the right amount.
Another bit of trivia I found out the hard way. If you PC or autoclave a jar top with micropore on top and / or hit it with alcohol, you had better replace the micropore. This renders it non gas permeable. The adhesive gets gummy and covers the pores. I had a batch of jars stall and basically die and they had off the chart CO2 and no O2. I had been hitting the jars with alcohol spray on several occasions and I think they were pc'd with the micropore on the lids from prior grow. The micropore was totally gummed up.
Fascinating about the big pores seen under the microscope. I have wondered about that. Sometimes that tape seems a bit patchy when you hold a piece up to a light source.
Edited by raymycoto, 20 January 2019 - 11:51 PM.