#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,686 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Came home last night to find a massive leak under my house that has been leaking for at least a few days. It's a lake under there... and I can no longer physically get under there to fix the leak. The leak is in the most inconvenient place it could be and for now the water is shut off to my house until I can get to it. I sure don't have the money to get it fixed right and no homeowners insurance because my modular house turned thirty three years ago and nobody will insure a m odular home that old anymore no matter how much we pay. 

Woke up this morning to dig in to it to find out my Dad had died last night..... :(

Now despite being in shock and mourning, I have to empty out an entire room full of storage containers and boxes because this leak is under the back of the room. Got that done, now resting before I go in there and start cutting into the floor to attempt to fix this leak. Man it's rough to be me today... :(

My Dad was an old school biker to his dying day. He went at life full throttle all the way, and I am surprised he went naturally to be honest. Even at 77 years old he could knock a man out and still hold his own in the bars back in my rough ass hometown and was practically legendary back there for his antics and badassery. He's gonna leave quite a wake of tears on his way out as the news spreads. 

My brother threw a fit that I made a post on facebook about it, fearing that the neighborhood jackels will descend on the house and rob it before we get a chance to get in there and sort it all out. That left me feeling like I can't even tell people my Dad died and really hurt my soul, but I understand too.

Dad left 6 hotrods and 7 motorcycles, and my brother found him unexpectedly with his young kids with him, and they idolized my Dad and thought of him as Grampa. Now on top of dealing with this leak and not being able to get under the house due to my physical limitations, I have to somehow figure out how to make a trip to Ohio and help my brother clean out my Dad's house, as I promised him he would not have to deal with that alone. Mom was somewhat of a hoarder, and there is a LOT of stuff in there that needs sorted and dumped, donated and given away. 

Man when it rains it pours and I could sure use some positive intent and prayers right now. I am devastated...

• SteampunkScientist, GalenOl and Rantrapr like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,662 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

Damn Coop, I am so sorry for your loss my friend.  I wish I knew something I could do to help in a physical way, but I dont know what it would be.  So until I do, I'm sending you all the good vibes I can muster.

If there is anything I can do to help you brother, just ask.

• Coopdog and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

Man that is really sucky situation and although you may have to go through this in body alone, by sharing with this community you are not alone in spirit .

Take pride in the fact your father was a man to be looked up to and had the opportunity to influence some young lives in a positive way.

Sometimes the best we can say to ourselves is it will get better.

* Often Churches, Habitat for humanity and similar organizations
Are able to assist in some situations such as your house leak. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Keep us posted and my thoughts, prayers and positive vibes are on their way to you.

#4 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

Man, that's rough, Coop.

I know what t's like to loose a Father.

I know you are too far away from where I am, but I would be able to climb under the house for you and fix the leak for you.

All I can say for now is keep your head up and it does get better.

As Juthro aid, If I can help in any way, let me know. :hug:

#5 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 166 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

Very sorry to hear all your bad news Coopdog, prayers for you and your family.

GLP :tinfoil:

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,885 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

So sorry Coop. That's a really hard wallop all at once. Big hugs to you and your family. You will be in my prayers for strength my friend.

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

Coop, Reaching out to say that I feel you. Man, I feel you.

It seems sometimes that the universe is just shooting flaming arrows in our direction. Sorry about the leak but I'm sure you know that it's one of those arrows.

I don't know what to say. My higher self wants to come running and help. My real self sits by in torment and empathy. 

Everything I can send your way Brother. Mine is yours. 

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

All my hopes for some peace I send to you. Your father sounds like he lived an amazing life. Perhaps more people that you realize will volunteer to help. People come together in situations like this. Take care friend.

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

<bear hugs> brother

#10 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,686 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Thank you all. 

• Skywatcher, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#11 HooKworm

HooKworm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Prayers your way my friend.

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,671 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:45 AM

Geez, Coop, too much, too quickly.    And if it's doing there like it is here, it's pouring rain too.   Sending what I can where the heart's concerned. 

Depending on the how that leak works, here's a trick that could buy you some time, if you can get to the leak, but re-plumbing it would be difficult.   If you have an inner tube from a car or bicycle, and the leak is in a place in the pipe is where you can get a tight wrap around it, you can cut a long, inch wide strip from the inner tube, or just use a long piece of a skinny bike tube, and just wrap the leak with the stretched rubber, around and around, lots of wraps, and go a few inches from the leak both directions up and down the pipe, bringing the ends close enough to tie them together with a square knot when you've used it up.   A patch like that can seal and last for many years.  My old cabin had several such patches under it on freeze split pipes that were good for the life of the cabin. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 January 2019 - 01:47 AM.

• Myc, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#13 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

So sorry for your loss Coop.

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,662 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

As far as the leak goes, like Alder said above. But I would suggest a store bought clamp, they are a easier to use IMHO then cutting up an inner tube (though that works).   These kind of band aid clams work well on galvanized pipes.  Just be careful when your tightening them down, no need for a cheater bar, as a strong guy can cause a seriously corroded pipe to crush with hand tools.

download.jpg

If you have a pipe that is physically broken, or a piece had to be cut out, I would suggest a dresser coupling.  Just remember that if the pipe is being used as an electrical ground for your house you will need a bond wire to go around the coupler, as its rubber gaskets interrupt the conductive path down the pipe.

124_dresser_coupling.jpg

No special or expensive tools required to install either part, and you should be able to find both at a local hardware store, or plumbing supply house.

Good luck on your project, and healing vibes to you.

• Myc, Coopdog and Sikfreud like this

#15 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,686 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

God you guys rock and I love you all. I will whine about the plumbing for a minute if I may lol

Problems with it: Unable to physically get under house to shut water off, bad back, bad knee and a really screwed up shoulder right now. Had to shut it off at the street, where I first shut off my neighbors water because the boxes are not marked well. FInally got it shut off and the neighbors did not know it even happened I hope. 

First off it was in the back of a storage room filled to the ceiling with rubbermaid storage tubs and boxes and was so full you could not even walk in past 4 feet or so. At least it had been organized and put into mostly easily moveable containers. That took half a day to empty out so I could get to the actual leak. Secondly the leak is in a spot I can not physically get to under the house, so had to go through the floor. Sounds easy enough, but the leak was right under a wall so still in a really fucked position for a big guy like me to work on. 

The tool I use to cut these gray plastic waterlines is a sort of ratchet with a razor on it and you have to hold it square to the tube, because cutting them with a knife or saw is next to impossible and if the cut is not square, the Sharkbite style connectors will not seal up well. This was leaking from a T joint that has been capped off where there used to be a sink that came out when we bought the place and converted this room. There were two of those T joints and I wanted to get them both out and replace them with a straight pipe to make it simple. 

Welllll the ratchet device was crushing the tube and refused to catch another tooth to continue the cut that I had started, no matter what the hell I did. tried a saw, tried my new razor sharp ginsu knives, nothing worked worth a damn. Finally by simultaneously using a screwdriver to grab the next tooth of the ratched while still trying to hold it square in a very tight area I managed to get one cut. Within an hour all 4 cuts were made, and I was ready to go to the store for parts. Now it's 8 pm, stores close at 9

Get to home depot, and they have every coupling in the world but the one I need. Rushed to ace hardware and got it just as store was closing. Of course they do not have the same kind of pipe as it is obsolete (like my whole damn house is) Finally got a stick of acceptable replacement. 

Got home, cut it to fit, installed couplers and discovered just how fucked up my shoulder is trying to exert force enough to push them on in that awkward position. struggled with it until midnight and finally got the 4th one to bite and hold. Went up the hill and turned water on, still got a leak on the last one I put in. I had to put it down for the night as I was hurting bad. Got drunk as hell and slept till 1:30. Now here I sit with my coffee and cookies and getting ready to go in there and make a herculean effort to push that final connection into place again. If I cannot, it's BACK to town to buy the release tool which of course is sold separately and I did not get. (because I am a knucklehead lol)

So I am gonna finish my coffee and cookie, and with all the positive energy and strength from all of you I am gonna PUSH THAT CONNECTOR ON if it kills me lol

Thank you guys for the positive feedback and the pm's. I love all of ya. 

Edited by Coopdog, 23 January 2019 - 06:09 PM.

• mushit, Myc, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#16 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 625 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

All the best, hope things get better for you.
  • Coopdog likes this

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,662 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

My older brother is a plumber, and I used to work for him way back in the day.  That's why I learned how to do electrical work on a fishing processor, lol.

God I hate plumbing.

Sending another truckload of good vibes to help see your project to completion my friend.

• Coopdog likes this

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Be sure and keep an eye out for leaks in other places after you get that location fixed. 

Not sure what your setup looks like but that grey shit was outlawed due to manufacturing design flaws. Over time the plastic resin degrades and permits leaks at the joints. As soon as you fix one and restore pressure to the system.......the pressure starts working away at the next weakest connection (wherever that may be). 

If there's any way you can replace that grey stuff with Wirsbo AquaPEX you'll be better off in the long run. 

Best of luck Brother. 

• Coopdog, PJammer24 and Juthro like this

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,671 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

Wish you were closer, as I am a skinny little fuck and just the pack rat who would have had what you needed to fix it right here.

• mushit, Coopdog, PJammer24 and 2 others like this

#20 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

Wish you were closer, as I am a skinny little fuck and just the pack rat who would have had what you needed to fix it right here.

Same here.

I used to do cottage maintenance and there were lots of split lines up here to fix in the north.

• Coopdog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!