37 replies to this topic

#1 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Do we have less to resist than those Yellow Vested French citizens?  

Why do we seemingly so readily accept the ushering of a once successful manufacturing economy, in which a family could be supported well by one wage earner, falling into a potentially worse social environment than Third World nations?

Why do we act like frogs on a slow boil?  

==============================

I'll start this off with this article:

Mainstream Media Is Literally Making People Sick
By Caitlin Johnstone

https://consortiumne...ng-people-sick/

A new, updated data set is now available on a psychological phenomenon that has been labeled “Trump Anxiety Disorder” or “Trump Hypersensitive Unexplained Disorder,” and it says that the phenomenon only got worse in 2018. The disorder is described as a specific type of anxiety in which symptoms “were specific to the election of Trump and the resultant unpredictable sociopolitical climate,” and according to the 2018 surveys Americans are feeling significantly more stressed by the future of their country and the current political environment than they were last year.

Used to be that the U.S. mass media only killed people indirectly, by facilitating establishment war agendas in repeating government agency propaganda as objective fact and promulgating narratives that manufacture support for a status quo which won’t even give Americans health insurance or safe drinking water. Now they’re skipping the middle man and killing them directly by psychologically brutalizing them so aggressively that it ruins their health, all to ensure that Democrats support war and adore the U.S. intelligence community.

Propaganda is the single most-overlooked and under-appreciated aspect of human society. The ability of those in power to manipulate the ways ordinary people think, act and vote has allowed for an inverted totalitarianism which turns the citizenry into their own prison wardens, allowing those with real power to continue doing as they please unhindered by the interests of the common man.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

I heard an interesting quote yesterday - I'll have to paraphrase

from Neitzsche I think

"anything that is about to fall over deserves to be pushed"

which in the current context would translate to we're so riddled with rot that it's already a done deal and we're just waiting for the inevitable rumble that brings the whole structure down

It's hard to argue against the premise of Caitlins' article

The damned thing is a lot of good people are going to suffer the same fate as those who deserve it

• onediadem, Juthro, OldBear and 1 other like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

I have been pondering this thread and I don't even know where to begin... With the shit that has been in the news lately with the high school kids from Covington Catholic and how different news providers provided a completely different angle by manipulating the facts to fit their agenda... it is ridiculous...

Its not even propaganda... There isn't one set agenda that a powerful government is feeding us, Its all these news providers pushing a narrative spun in a way that supports their chosen ideology... Russia and China have it right, if you are going to have a culture that is seeping with propaganda, at least make sure it is quality propaganda... I am embarrassed to be American, we can't even manage our propaganda properly!!

If you don't want to get impacted by these agendas, just watch/read news coverage from all of the different providers... You will be so spun out and confused when you are done, you won't know what to believe... Any spin would be completely nullified... You will have absolutely no clue what's going on, but do you really know now? We know/think and see what the information provider wants us to... We don't know the truth... So why bother reading/watching/listening? You really won't get anything real from it anyway...

This is F#@kin ridiculous... Just show/tell us the truth and let us decide for ourselves... 

Why are we like frogs on a slow boil?? Because people are sheep, they don't want to make decisions for them selves because they are afraid to be told they are wrong. If you can say that you received your perspective from somewhere else, you can shift the blame if proven wrong... This is a spineless culture that stands for nothing but thinks they stand for everything... Oh... And people are stupid but that goes without saying...

Edited by PJammer24, 24 January 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Fuck it, I hate pussy footing around.  Lets get it on and light this fire if thats what has to happen.  The situation we are in, and the direction we are going leads me to believe that it is inevitable.   I really feel that anymore it is a matter of 'when', and not one of 'if'.

The 1%ers are as out of touch now as they were during the French Revolution.  Right down to the 'Let them eat cake' mentality for the federal workers who aren't getting paid.

I've had enough of the bull shit, and enough of the lies. It makes me angry.  We the people have no advocate anymore, and the BS comes from all sides.  I don't think for a moment that any of them sons a bitches give a damn about any of us.  I think the yellow vests have the right idea, but haven't taken it far enough yet. 

I say burn it to the ground. 

[Direct Link]

• roc and Myc like this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

but I like cake!!

• Juthro and OldBear like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

LOL, sorry for the rant.  But the world really pisses me off at times, and if I don't let it out in controlled bursts, I might explode.

Now do you see why they make me live at the end of the road to nowhere?

I'll go take my meds now.....

• OldBear likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

Estimates vary but to be part of the 1% in America, your household needs to make approximately $400,000 annually...

Top 8% makes more than $150,000 per year.

Top 3.-4% makes more than $200,000 per year...

Just so people have a little perspective before they delve into this conversation....

I think that the country is completely mismanaged and I do think that the leaders in this country are out of touch with the people as a whole... 

Where I will probably disagree with many is that I don't see any reason why a hard working family of average to slightly above average intelligence can't easily climb into that top 8% if they are determined to. I think a lot of people want to complain about how there aren't opportunities for success when what they don't realize is that success takes hustle and determination. No one hands out 6 figured jobs. You have to promote yourself and work your ass off... Some may disagree, but $150,000 annually in a 2 income household is easily obtainable if you are willing to do what it takes to get there...

As an example, I have a good friend who complains about being broke, he likes to tell me that I have it easy compared to him... What I see is that I get up in the morning and work around the house, I am out of the house by 730-8 and at work.... I work till 530-630... Then I come home and work some more... What he does is work occasionally for a roofer and between jobs spend hours watching movies on the couch... If you want financial security, it is there to be had but its not going to be handed to your. You may never crack the 1%, but you sure as hell can build a comfortable life for yourself and your family!

• OldBear likes this

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

Those figures are a little deceiving PJ.   The 420K is the threshold to be in the top 1%, the average yearly income of that 1% group is 1.3 million a year.  That is a long ways from the 50k average a year for the other 99%

https://www.cnbc.com...y-us-state.html

To be among the top 1 percent of U.S. earners, a family needs an income of $421,926, a new report from the Economic Policy Institute finds.

However, the threshold varies significantly among states. In Connecticut, for example, you need an annual income of $700,800 to be in the 1 percent. In New Mexico, you need $255,429.

Keep in mind that these numbers just represent the threshold — the average income of the top 1 percent nationwide is $1.32 million. The bottom 99 percent, on the other hand, earn an average of $50,107 a year.

Edited by Juthro, 24 January 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

I been asking myself the last 10 years what it will take to get us to the streets?

Have we turned into a passive society that has let government got out of control and nobody see what's coming?

Think yellow vest and 1969!

• Juthro likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

I have read that and have also read that just over $380k puts you in the top 1%... I am not suggesting that the top 1% is obtainable... I do believe that the top 8% is easily obtainable... I think there are a lot of people who make $50k, are comfortable enough, and either don't have the vision or work ethic to make more... Then they want to complain about how people make more than them... My uncle is one of the hardest workers I know, he grew up in a town that is now the hood, in a 1 income family who lived in a tiny little house, with a father who was a mailman (solid and respectable job)... He got himself through college and is now a television camera director who has done pretty much all the major network morning shows and is now directing an iconic variety show...

The guy has so many Emmys that he keeps some in his closet...

His brother is also successful... He was driven to be successful and started his own business.

If you are willing to educate yourself and put in the footwork you can make money. You may have to sacrifice catching the big game every week, you will have to work more than 40 hours a week, you may not catch your favorite television programming... You may not be able to spend as much time at the bar, etc, etc...

A lot of people think that successful people are just lucky or that it was handed to them but its hard work and lifestyle that has helped them make money and keep it... Great fortunes have been squandered by lazy generations...

I love sitting at the bar, next to a guy who is in there every single time I am (which is sporadically), listening to how he wants to be successful but out of the other side of his mouth he says he struggles to work 40 hours a week... I have been at the office since 830 and I probably won't leave till 6 or 630 and thats typical... That's 50 hours I put in weekly and sometimes its more... Sometimes I finish up a job over the weekend so I can start a new one monday... I get frustrated by people who arent willing to work complaining about how people who work their asses off have it so good...

There is a huge desparency (sp) between the countries richest and the average american, that much is true... I am not suggesting that anyone can become part of the 1%... What I am saying is that you don't have to be part of the 1% to have pretty much everything your family could ever need or want... If you aren't making enough money, work harder... Make yourself invaluable, stop wasting time and be productive... I absolutely think the richest are too rich but I also have little sympathy for the middling american who is complaining about all the things they don't have...

People in America these days expect things to be given to them... Look at the expanding welfare state... Back in the day, shit wasn't given to you, people worked their assess off to pave their way in the world!! Those Americans were bad ass!! i wish more of that still existed in this society!

• roc likes this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

I disagree with you on this PJ.  I know lots of people that bust their ass at more than one job just to survive paycheck to paycheck.   They are not lazy, and they are not stupid, but they are trapped in a rigged system.   

Desire and motivation alone do not provide income.  The amount of fruitful opportunities out there doesn't come close to the number of people looking for them.  

God bless the lucky ones, but at some point the rest of us are going to have had enough and start taking it back one way or another.

• onediadem, Myc, coorsmikey and 1 other like this

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

I disagree with you on this PJ.  I know lots of people that bust their ass at more than one job just to survive paycheck to paycheck.   They are not lazy, and they are not stupid, but they are trapped in a rigged system.   

Desire and motivation alone do not provide income.  The amount of fruitful opportunities out there doesn't come close to the number of people looking for them.  

God bless the lucky ones, but at some point the rest of us are going to have had enough and start taking it back one way or another.

I look at our hobby as an example... if you are will to spend the time to gather knowledge, one can start a profitable gourmet mushroom farm... 

Maybe it is a little different in Alaska but I know very few people who have set out to succeed in life and made that a priority who have not succeeded... My best friend started out making pallets, then worked for the sewer authority, passed up older workers because he was the one that showed initiative, and got a job running the department. That job could have gone to a dozen other guys but he was the one who didn't just look at it like a job... The guy who goes the extra mile and is willing to make the success of their employer a priority, makes himself invaluable and that's when you get paid..

There are lots of dead end jobs... If you can't move up where you are then you educate yourself online, you learn a trade, you improve your credit so you can get a business loan and start your own business... 

i think its people's rigidity that keeps them from being successful, not the system... There are lots of angles open within the system that allow for success...

I worked my ass off, saved up a down payment, and bought a house when i was 25. I was able to do that because I made maintaining my credit and not over extending myself a priority. I was not making big money, I was making smart decisions...

A lot of people you would consider rich got there by being cheap skates when they were young so they could invest in businesses that put them in position to spend when they are older... Deny yourself the brand new phone, get a used car, don't eat out, Don't get the nicest clothes or the nicest TV's... I am not saying that there isn't sacrifice but in the economy where I live, you can make money if you are making smart decisions and you know how to...

You can buy a house in some neighborhoods for $10k, fix it up and double your money... Foreclosures... there are all kinds of ways to make money if you are willing to exploit them.

if you don't have the money then you put together a convincing business plan and you get a loan... You go talk to people that have money and you show them how working with you benefits them... There are ways to do things if you have the vision and drive to do it... These things dont just fall in your lap...

I make decent money, I am not rich but i am comfortable, and I will still be at the farmers market this summer selling mushrooms, I may try to get some restaurants on board this year, and hopefully my friends will want them in bulk again... I don't need to do this. My bills will be paid either way, but I like to be productive and I enjoy working towards a better life for the people I care about so I do it... 

I am pretty much always working and when I am not, I feel like I should be... You only live once (insert Alder mind fuck here) and I don't like feeling like I am wasting that time by not being productive.

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

What would be the appropriate mind fuck?    That I work, but not for money, have lived a life of service for much of it, with a minimalist lifestyle?  And yet, I dare criticize capitalist and libertarian PsOV.   I suppose I have found myself, politically and socially, in that "brother's keeper" mindset.  Who started that bullshit, anyway?   But, this thread is about propaganda, who does it in this country, for whom, and why?  

Edited by Alder Logs, 24 January 2019 - 06:29 PM.

• onediadem likes this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

The infrastructure of the commons has been steadily eroding and degraded.   The right wing narrative says it was all built by rugged individualists by the sweat of their brows.   It could not have been the result of citizen support or political self interest as a society.     That infrastructure which was quite robust as I grew up in the '50s and '60s.   But Nixon spent the country into a huge hole to continue the Vietnam War, even raiding the Social Security fund in that effort, and after Reagan/Bush, and Clinton/Obama, and the near-total overthrow of any government for the people, the populace has settled well into voting against its own common interests.  

The elite are the corrupt who direct the blame just below their own feet.   The "private" control of the infrastructure of "our" airwaves, has had a heavy hand in cramming of the right's politics down the national throat (not without the help of Operation Mockingbird {look it up}), meanwhile, PBS and NPR's CEOs and boards of directors were totally peopled with veterans of Air America, the US Information Agency, Radio and TV Marti, Radio Free Europe, career deep state propagandists, whose job it has been to set the limits of debate allowed to the American left.

Both the two major parties currently are right wing parties.   They throw mud pies at each other, while they both rob the national larder, if through different doors, but that, only at times.  The accident of full employment which came out of the WWII industrial mobilization, coupled with the bones tossed to the populace when FDR pushed the monopoly forces to the wall to save a full revolution during the Great Depression, combined to build a beautiful infrastructure and middle class, and made for good times (especially if one was a Caucasian). 

We mustn't forget the resource base that enabled it all was in the conquering of the continent's native inhabitants and the labors of slaves, wage, and otherwise, and just plain applied imperialism.   It is a bit of work to get the wider view.    The powers that rose up in the wake of that little bit of history included the workings of the likes of Brown Bros. Harriman and the Dulles Bros.   The WWII war machine and the National Security Act of 1947 got to have official secrecy and to play that card under the collective table, hence the birth of the military-industrial-security state-major media complex.  

So now we have divisions a plenty by which those who would propagandize can rule us.   I see how the money makers get to be played against the the up-and-comers, as well as the downtrodden.   We all get played by believing we are not the same people, needing the same things, by believing the "other" will take what we have laid up for ourselves.   

Is this not so?

Edited by Alder Logs, 24 January 2019 - 07:16 PM.

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

Ah, a case in point:

[Direct Link]

#16 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

I do not watch news, ever. Shit happens, even on a good day. I get enough news from people watching, and we are fucked in the US. There is no return from where these sheeple have been led.

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

I see your point Alder, Jimmy Dore is just as bad as all the rest at spewing propaganda.

(that was the point you were trying to make, right?)

Edited by Juthro, 24 January 2019 - 09:12 PM.

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:32 PM

Please point to the propaganda in that video.  

The admission that the FBI consciously went after political viewpoints they didn't approve is reporting, not propaganda.   Are you aware of Operation Mockingbird?   It's where the CIA got caught putting hundreds of their agents into all forms of media, from print to broadcast.   Do you think, with their veil of secrecy, that getting caught in the '70s means they quit?   They didn't get the candidate they wanted elected in 2016, and we're seeing now that what we're being told are lies about how that happened.   The perceived voice of the left is punching left, and lionizing the same deep state players this FBI dolt just revealed in that segment.   What we're being given as the voice of the left, to punch left, must be on the right.   The terms, "progressive," and, "liberal," have lost all meaning in the propaganda shit storm.

BTW, I thought the "bombshell/walls closing in" mashup was great.   Arron Mate and Jimmy Dore are the opposite of propagandists.   Sure they have a bias, but I would say their biases are anti-propaganda.   They are reporters, reporting on the MSM's propagandists.  For anything democratic to function, an informed, not programmed populace, is key.   Who does the propaganda serve?  Why does Boeing sponsor "news" programs?   Why does Raytheon tell us what's up?    McDonnell Douglas has news for you too.

I hope this discussion can go on and serve our better understanding.

Edited by Alder Logs, 24 January 2019 - 10:45 PM.

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

When you 'report' things with a bias to bolster or to counter a political position, that is called propaganda.  It isn't omni  directional, that shit goes both ways.

Propaganda

noun
Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

noun
1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
3. the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement.

That's dictionary.com's.

If you don't like Jimmy Dore's style or delivery, if Arron Maté is abhorrent as a reporter, please, if you have one reporter who can adequately (in your opinion) supply the need of a forth estate, necessary to the healthy functioning of a democratic republic, please direct us to that source.

Edited by Alder Logs, 25 January 2019 - 09:21 AM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!