• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:28 AM

Albinistic traits can vary and individuals are usually classified as true albino, partial albino, or leucistic.

I took this from another OMC it was written by PsychedelicTarantula, and maybe where some confusion stems from. This is regarding A+;

I've been trying to clear this up since I put this strain into the hobby. There is no such thing as Albino A+. This is a misnomer. It is LA+. It is a Leucistic strain. This strain retains some pigment and the spores are still dark. True albinos retain no pigment and have clear spores. If you guys could help me out here by helping to spread this I'd appreciate this. It seems people always revert back to calling it an albino. This drives me crazy lol...it was my baby.

Whereas the parent of APE, Pf Albino was a true albino, the albino trait is recessive and is obviously not breeding true. So a percentage not all, are true albinos which would seem to have invisible spores and the rest partial albinos or even leucistic(both of these could theoretically produce purple spores).

Once again if all or most of the spores are purple in the syringes, that may be the trick they are using to collect viable spores. And the purple spore producing not true albino individuals may be more viable and easier to collect than the true albinos. The purple spores would still carry the albino gene and produce albino offspring when selfed.

(and the description would still be technically correct, the true albinos have clear spores that look white in large amounts) And just leave out the part about collecting the purple ones if you want viable spores??

Edited by PistolPete13, 06 February 2019 - 03:36 AM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#22 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

These are quotes from Workman on the issue;

It isn't really a secret but the basic method is to take very mature caps that are visibly producing spores.  Even these rarely drop decent prints but the spores are there.  These are gently dried, which tends to cause even more spores to mature before the cap completely dries out.  The caps are then crushed, rehydrated in sterile water with a wetting agent and then centrifuged.  Spores are very dense compared to the mushroom tissue, bacteria and other impurities, so they separate nicely into a pellet at the bottom of the vial.  Remove the top layer and repeat with a few more washings and centrifuging and you have nearly pure spores when you are done.  This is dried and used as needed.

It is somewhat complicated and not practical for the home experimenter but it does scale up well for the production of commercial quantities of PE spores.  This method can also be used with regular cubensis caps after normal printing.  There are a surprisingly large amount of spores clinging to gills.  Swabbing is easier and works just as well for archiving spore samples.

ape.jpg

Its an adaptation of an existing method.  I forget where I first read about it but I want to say Mycelium Running by Stamets.  I'd have to confirm that.  The method is self cleaning since the contaminates are lighter than the spores and deposit on the top of the pellet.

ape2.jpg

Spores of similar size and density are going to pellet out together so I imagine spores of different species of mushrooms that are similar in size are going to be mixed.  It isn't a completely foolproof method.

ape3.jpg

I left out a step.  You should coarsely filter the mushroom material before centrifuging.  Its probably obvious that you don't need large chunks in the centrifuge.

ape4.jpg

https://www.shroomer...190289#12190289

Also a quote from last year on another forum from 'bastard4life' which does not help the matter.....

I received an APE syringe from a sponsor. I've got them before. They always were pure white spores. This time there white but have black specs on the outside of the spore ball and a white milky film floating around the spore ball. Should I be worried? I called the vendor who told me that the black is common. He told me that the white is most likely spores that have germinated. He also said if there is a problem upon closer inspection he will send a replacement. Im curious if someone can confirm what he said. I trust the vendor but i want reassurance. This one always gets away from me somehow and I really want to keep it. I put a drop on agar already to see what happens.

#23 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 2,058 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

Reading reminded me that PE and variants can be allowed to grow well beyond veil break. The old "harvest at veil break rule doesn't apply to them. And of course not to something you want spores from.
  • PistolPete13 likes this

#24 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

I got some APE going right now as well.  Just spotted mycelium growth today! 

IMG_7789.PNG

Holding Chamber.png

Mycelium.jpg

• Deleena24 likes this

#25 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

Ahem, Miss Menace are you indeed the founder of the Menace strain of Cubensis?

P.S.; I do not mean to fanboy too much, but I would be impressed..... :smile:

Haha, news to me if I did! While there are many years I don't remember, I'm pretty sure I didn't discover anything significant.

#26 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

You may have sent Workman a print at some stage and he credited you? I am not sure where you are exactly, but it sounded like you?

Original wild collection from a pasture NE of Houston, Texas. Sample supplied by P. Menace

http://sporeworks.co...oscopy-Kit.html

If it was not you, I have read enough of your posts to still be impressed :cool:

• coorsmikey and PinkMenace like this

#27 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

You may have sent Workman a print at some stage and he credited you? I am not sure where you are exactly, but it sounded like you?

Original wild collection from a pasture NE of Houston, Texas. Sample supplied by P. Menace

http://sporeworks.co...oscopy-Kit.html

If it was not you, I have read enough of your posts to still be impressed :cool:

Wooow! Haha, thanks, but definitely not me. That's really funny though.

#28 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Oh sorry about that! I was reading the description not long ago, and could not help but think......

• PinkMenace likes this

#29 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

I'm totally now looking for a Menace print though!
  • PistolPete13 likes this

#30 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

By all accounts it does seem like a really nice strain.

• deemesis likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!