• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

So I need to spawn some popcorn jars that have been colonized for a couple weeks(Iv'e been lazy), but being the broke sum-bitch I am, I'm planning to use some 2 gal food storage zipper bags that I already had in the cupboard.

I was reading this thread, by former Mycotopia member Beppiest 1981, which has a link to Hippie3's thread "DIY Spawnbags", both of which are good reads, but Hippie3 had a method of using polyfil in the top of the bag that intrigues me, rather than poking a hole in the bag and gluing on paint suit material, but IDK if that's the best way to allow fae/ge. Also, the bags I have are zipper bags, so I will have to mess with one and decide exactly how I want it, and if anyone has a suggestion, I'll take it.

One question I have, for in-vitro bags, the mix of coir/verm/spawn should be the same as with a tub or tray, right? Another Q, I want to be able to just leave the bags sealed(with ge filter/hole) and not have to fan or mist em, but it seems like too much co2 would be in there to fruit, but I remember Deleena24's in-vitro bag grows, and him saying that he does not fan/mist, so I guesslol. I will re-read D24's threads, but if anyone has anything they could suggest, or if this seems wrong, please comment Thanks.

Oh, forgot to ask, how much spawn would I want to puy in each bag? 2 Gal bags, 13"x15".

Edited by Billcoz, 27 January 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

Sandman is the person to ask about modified bags.

But yes, same sub as a tray.

But honestly I think if you left the bag unzipped about 2 inches and filled the rest with a ball of polyfil, it would work. Keep it simple.

Also, dont just dump everything in and put it on a shelf. Take your time and shape the sub in the bag so it's relatively flat and fills the bottom tightly against the plastic. This will help get more pins on top, and doing this always leads to more even humidity and condensation.

Whatever size bag, I recommend only enough sub to fill it 1/4 of the way up, at most 1/3. That seems to work the best.
  • Billcoz likes this

#3 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Check out my sandbag tek https://mycotopia.ne...ficial-thread/ 

One question I have, for in-vitro bags, the mix of coir/verm/spawn should be the same as with a tub or tray, right?

yes you can use any kind of mix you would for a tray. Just make sure it's not too wet.

I want to be able to just leave the bags sealed(with ge filter/hole) and not have to fan or mist em

You can do this no problem. I stab my bags once or twice with a broadhead at spawning and then a few more times after it pins. Just good old open air no filters.

much spawn would I want to puy in each bag? 2 Gal bags, 13"x15".

Probably a quart of spawn and a quart of pasteurized substrate in each bag would be good.

• Billcoz likes this

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

Check out my sandbag tek https://mycotopia.ne...ficial-thread/

One question I have, for in-vitro bags, the mix of coir/verm/spawn should be the same as with a tub or tray, right?

yes you can use any kind of mix you would for a tray. Just make sure it's not too wet.

I want to be able to just leave the bags sealed(with ge filter/hole) and not have to fan or mist em

You can do this no problem. I stab my bags once or twice with a broadhead at spawning and then a few more times after it pins. Just good old open air no filters.

Probably a quart of spawn and a quart of pasteurized substrate in each bag would be good.
See? The man knows his stuff. If you're worried that your grow room is too dirty for the open holes, a single layer of micropore or loose polyfil will keep out most things if you're paranoid. Colonized sub is pretty contam resistant.

But good luck! Check out both of our profiles you'll see we both grow alot in bags, but I've only used filterpatch bags, Sandman can get good results in any bag. It's one of those things some people just have a good feel for.

Edit- my comment earlier about how much to use. For that size bag, Sandman was probably spot on, I use pretty much the same. Whatever size you want the sub at least 2.5 in thick for cubes and no more than 4 after you level it out. Anything thicker doesnt produce more per flush usually, so it's a waste of spawn and sub IMHO.

Edited by Deleena24, 28 January 2019 - 12:12 AM.

• sandman and Billcoz like this

#5 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:06 AM

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

• AbnormalMortaL and Billcoz like this

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:59 AM

Here's an idea I had(coffee can with bag over), plus a couple clone domes I'm not using for weed right now that I will use, but they need to be bleached and scrubbed before I go putting sub in there, since I use all sorts of beneficial microbes/fungi for my cannabis clones, which has dried to a crusty film in the trays.

I have a couple other random objects I can use for FCs, but I will be doing some in just bags, with the polyfil in the zipper as D24 suggested. For the coffee cans, I'll fil em to like 3 1/2", and put the bag over it, and put the lid(with the center cut out to make a ring) snapped on, with holes, covered in micropore, as sandman suggested, thanks guys.

One last Q, would it be worth it to add like 4 small GE holes right above the sub level in the coffee cans, or would it not really matter?

IMG_20190128_012756.jpg IMG_20190128_013050.jpg

This is a 1/4 pint cake, grated up, the ball FC came with chocolates in it, the choco-ball grow will be updated in my pf experiment thread, I just wanted to add it here too-

IMG_20190123_162730.jpg lindor-truffles-milk-chocolate-SKU-c0043

Edited by Billcoz, 28 January 2019 - 02:00 AM.

#7 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:22 AM

The "clone/mondi domes" make great FCs. :)

#8 MycoBabe

MycoBabe

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:25 AM

Check out my sandbag tek https://mycotopia.ne...ficial-thread/

See? The man knows his stuff. If you're worried that your grow room is too dirty for the open holes, a single layer of micropore or loose polyfil will keep out most things if you're paranoid. Colonized sub is pretty contam resistant.

But good luck! Check out both of our profiles you'll see we both grow alot in bags, but I've only used filterpatch bags, Sandman can get good results in any bag. It's one of those things some people just have a good feel for.

Edit- my comment earlier about how much to use. For that size bag, Sandman was probably spot on, I use pretty much the same. Whatever size you want the sub at least 2.5 in thick for cubes and no more than 4 after you level it out. Anything thicker doesnt produce more per flush usually, so it's a waste of spawn and sub IMHO.

Agreed on the waste of spawn.... Sorry dudes, i am ADHD and never know the beginning of the conversation.... However... I do know that these lovely mushys like to grow... sometimes you kinda have to give them a nudge... but put them wherever you want...   I used to always be super sterile... but honestly , they like it when u leave them alone and give them air,... bags and small areas have always been a dislike for me due to the challenge of keeping them moist...

idk... I am wayyyyy less technical than majority... i just throw it together, give them what they desire, but not too much or they wont wanna come out.. Moisture is always the key, IMO  keeping everything just right... 

• Billcoz likes this

#9 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:07 AM

Agreed on the waste of spawn.... Sorry dudes, i am ADHD and never know the beginning of the conversation.... However... I do know that these lovely mushys like to grow... sometimes you kinda have to give them a nudge... but put them wherever you want...   I used to always be super sterile... but honestly , they like it when u leave them alone and give them air,... bags and small areas have always been a dislike for me due to the challenge of keeping them moist...

idk... I am wayyyyy less technical than majority... i just throw it together, give them what they desire, but not too much or they wont wanna come out.. Moisture is always the key, IMO  keeping everything just right... 

Thanks, I know I could just toss em in anything basically, I'm gonna do a bunch of different ways, bags , bags + coffee cans, clone domes. The chocolate ball was an idea I had, and in a few days to a week when it's starting to pin, I'm giving it to a friend as a gift. 

#10 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Cool beans. Those should all work!

The coffee can with the bag on top is a tried and true method. Most kits you would order online are essentially the same thing...a container with colonized spawn and a filterbag/bag with holes to cover the top.

Mycobabe, it's funny you dislike bags and small containers for the same reason I like them LOL. It's really easy for me to keep the moisture right. If the sub has enough moisture when you make it, it should be as simple as leaving it alone until its ready to harvest. I hate misting, and I especially hate fanning. I feel like every time I fan I'm just asking for contams.
  • Billcoz likes this

#11 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Here's what I did-IMG_20190128_175033.jpg IMG_20190128_175248.jpg -It's mixed at roughly ~ 3:1 sub/spawn and ended up with 2 bags, which I couldv'e staretched by mixing it a a higher sub to spawn ratio, but I already have six 6 qt dubtubs going, and some pf jars(pf jars are not doing great), so I don't need to go overboard lol.

. I cut a hole about ~ 1"x 3", covered with paint suit material, on both sides of each bag. I put the bags in boxes to keep the shape like a mold, about 3" deep, 4" wide, and 9" long, filled and level with the top. I let the air out of the bags and folded them over, not blocking the filter holes too much, to allow it to colonize the bulk sub, and I'll check em in.

I still have 1 pint jar, 3/4 full of popcorn that, after I shook it a couple weeks ago(I was planning to spawn it then but never did), still had not recovered all the way. The top half did, but the bottom, although it was fully colonized when I shook it, are not whitened and fuzzed over like it should be, like th bottom half looks like it did right after I shook it and broke it all up. Anyone have an idea why that might have happened? I suppose it could have been too dry, as some of the popcorn jars were sterilized almost 3 weeks before I inoculated em.

Well, is this all correct? Should I add casings to the bags? Now, or wait a few days? Thanks, you guys are alright after all lol.

• WalkingCatfish likes this

#12 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

Those look really nice. After they're fully colonized, I see no need for casing. The holes you made look good, the bag should keep enough humidity. Just make sure to puff out the bag so they have room to grow after its colonized.

As for the jar, sometimes these things happen. How does it smell? From the little description I'm thinking bacteria, but it could also be dry like you said. I'd have to at least see it to know with any certainty.
  • Billcoz likes this

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

As for the jar, sometimes these things happen. How does it smell? From the little description I'm thinking bacteria, but it could also be dry like you said. I'd have to at least see it to know with any certainty.

It has no smell, and all the kernels were fully colonized, but like i said, the top part was recovered(after shaking a couple weeks ago) but the bottom half did not, so it might be dry, or like you said, could be bacteria. I shook it again to get the recovered grains mixed down, so maybe it will recover, if not oh well, I got 8 bulk grows goin, and pf cakes, but they might not make it.

• Deleena24 likes this

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, there was definitely bacteria in there. I opened it and the first smell was mushroom, but after I disturbed the top layer of colonized corn, a horrible, sour, rotten smell smacked me in the face.

Edited by Billcoz, 02 February 2019 - 11:39 AM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#15 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:38 AM

So it's been ten days, these bags/the subs are kinda wet-IMG_20190205_222812.jpg IMG_20190205_223037.jpg IMG_20190205_223417.jpg

I'm gonna leave em in the boxes so it don't crumble. I opened em and kinda puffed up the bags so it can breath. The sub seemed on the dry side when I spawned it, though my house has some dry ass air, so maybe that's alright.

Should I be fanning at all since they are so wet inside?

EDIT- I see from the pics that I need to vacuum and shampoo my carpet.

Edited by Billcoz, 06 February 2019 - 12:40 AM.

#16 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:35 AM

Condensation on the bag is usually a good sign IME. Only if there is pooling would I even begin to worry.

Those look good. Just be patient you'll get pins any day
  • Billcoz likes this

#17 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

Stab a couple of slits in it (2). Big bagged subs will become "wetter" after it colonizes and the mycelium squeezes out the excess water that you didn't even know was there. You literally have a miniature sandbag tek here. They remind me of my old buddy trout lips, he used to do my sandbags like this sort of. 

Edited by sandman, 06 February 2019 - 08:27 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#18 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:37 AM

Stab a couple of slits in it (2). Big bagged subs will become "wetter" after it colonizes and the mycelium squeezes out the excess water that you didn't even know was there. You literally have a miniature sandbag tek here. They remind me of my old buddy trout lips, he used to do my sandbags like this sort of.

Can I just say I LOVE the name trout lips? Please no one call me that, but still...
  • sandman and AbnormalMortaL like this

#19 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

Yeah that's what happened, the myc looks like it sucked moisture from whatever air comes through the filters, even though it was dryish when I spawned em. Thanks.

#20 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Great thread...definitely going to do this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!