• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

I felt like posting this pic showing the rhizoey myc. Each bag's popcorn spawn was colonized from an agar plate that was colonized from an isolated sector, not a single sector isolate, but a very rhizomorphic, and you can kinda see it in the pic, well not barely-IMG_20190206_194859.jpg

I'm definitely a fan of the space saving aspect of this, though this is my first try with any kind of bags so I don't know how they'll yield, plus the strain is un-tested for fruiting.

• Deleena24 likes this

#22 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

Well, it's been almost a month and finally, a pin! Lol, ONE damn pin! Shit, this strain has been like that for me, colonizing sub very quickly, then taking forever to pin, then heavily pinning with short, dense stemmed midgets. My tubs spawned from the same B+ myc, all from the same agar isolation, have been that way too, while other B+ "isolates" I have were much quicker, with taller fruits-IMG_20190224_062003.jpg

I would think they were too dry, but the other on has water droplets on the surface still, so i doubt it's dry.

Edited by Billcoz, 24 February 2019 - 07:07 AM.

#23 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

Here's more pin pics of  these bags-IMG_20190227_085231.jpg IMG_20190227_011500.jpg IMG_20190227_011427.jpg

Check this shit out in the last pic, how is it possible that this is still growing? It might be hard to see, but there is a floaty pin stuck to the bag lol. I noticed it a couple days ago and it's still getting bigger. It seems like it's loose from the myc but actually there is a thin film of myc on the bag that it's growing from, how weird that it can get nutrients through a film of mycelium-IMG_20190227_085323.jpg

Edited by Billcoz, 27 February 2019 - 09:29 AM.

#24 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:32 AM

Jeez...Did you stab holes in it like I recommended? That is a very poor performance going on. it should be pinning at roughly 16 days from spawning if it's not contaminated.

Edited by sandman, 27 February 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#25 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

This is an isolation that seems to take a long time to pin but keeps pinning, even my tubs of that iso take 20 days to pin, and cakes, while the ms and other isos of B+ take like a week or two at most. Yes, there are 2 -1" x 4" holes covered in tyvec material, one on either side of each bag. Notice one seems wetter than the other? I don't know why that is, they were from the same mix of spawn/sub, then divided between them.

Edited by Billcoz, 27 February 2019 - 10:28 AM.

#26 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

One problem with these bags is the top-heaviness from the zipper, so they fall over after a while. That could cause the slow pinning too, but this iso does colonize super fast, then takes forever to pin.

#27 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

My guess is the isolate is use to pinning under the conditions in the original FC, but I'm still totally new to that arena.

That is quite slow for a 1st flush, and my last bag of PESA is pinning better than that even though it's on its 4th flush.

Wish I had advice for ya. Sometimes I really do think my results with bags ( and everything else) are all luck. So much of the time what works so well for me seems to be blah for everyone else, but dont give up hope. I assure you bags can absolutely be a great choice, though I'm beginning to thing some strains of cubes may not be suited for it.

#28 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:11 PM

Paper tyvek is garbage and doesn't breath for shit. Regular cloth tyvek also does not breath for shit for this kind of project.

Don't be scared of open air.You have probably made a gigantic square hole for the tyvek ehh? That's a problem because now the hole is too big to remove it. Take a pocket knife and stab about 8 slits in the bag all around  and call me in the morning. Just kidding don't call me you don't listen to me for nothing.

The top of the bags falling is a problem I have solved. Roll a thin "stick" of wood that is wider than the bag up in the top of the bag and have some kind of hooks that you can support the ends of the sticks in. Or you could just see my tek.https://mycotopia.ne...fficial-thread/

Edited by sandman, 27 February 2019 - 11:12 PM.

• Deleena24 likes this

#29 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:26 AM

Paper tyvek is garbage and doesn't breath for shit. Regular cloth tyvek also does not breath for shit for this kind of project.

Don't be scared of open air.You have probably made a gigantic square hole for the tyvek ehh? That's a problem because now the hole is too big to remove it. Take a pocket knife and stab about 8 slits in the bag all around  and call me in the morning. Just kidding don't call me you don't listen to me for nothing.

The top of the bags falling is a problem I have solved. Roll a thin "stick" of wood that is wider than the bag up in the top of the bag and have some kind of hooks that you can support the ends of the sticks in. Or you could just see my tek.https://mycotopia.ne...fficial-thread/

Cool thanks for the tips, I will be reading your thread in a min. I do open those bags a few times a day. Pins are forming on the sides between the bag and sub so it actually seems like they want moisture. They are pinning more now, like I said, this B+ iso takes 15-20 days every time and keeps pinning as the other fruits mature. I never get even flushes with it, but the ms B+ and the other isolated strain have been quicker.

I would say the envelopes provide less GE on spawn jar lids than the paintsuit, and both work just as well as micropore, as far as colonization speeds.

I am spawning some in a little while, B+ and burma from different isolations from agar sectors put to popcorn again in coffee cans with bags over em. I want to do some with holes covered with micropore, some with polyfil, and I was thinking of using the material from these surgical facemasks(link) I got, which are breathable and filter out 99% of bacteria, somehow taped on, so that might be better, they are really breathable.

You are right that the paper tyvec envelope and paint suit material are not that breathable. My paint suit was not actually even tyvec, it is medline, and it is more breathable than the actual dupont tyvec ones. I have put a piece of it over my mouth to test the breathability and it seems hard to breath through, but still breathable, and we use the tyvec ones at work, and that material is slightly different, the tyvec brand is not as soft or breathable.

The hole is 1" x 4", cut evenly, it is NOT a gaping hole.

Edited by Billcoz, 28 February 2019 - 01:30 AM.

#30 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

I've said my piece about just stabbing slits in it and you don't want to listen for some reason.

#31 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,290 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

I've said my piece about just stabbing slits in it and you don't want to listen for some reason.

Stab that shit with a broad head!! This seems like the best part of your method to me...

• sandman likes this

#32 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

The best part is the results, but the stabbing is always fun.

#33 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

Damn, I did listen haha. I didn't mean I wasn't taking the advice, as soon as I was done posting that reply I peeled the paint suit material off, I added a latyer of micropore this morning though. The 1" x 4" rectangular holes with 1 layer of micropore should breath a lot more than the paint suit, probablt as good as a slit. Next time I do bags I plan to copy your sandbag tek, thanks for the download.

#34 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

Next I have a small martha like FC in mind to build, I have about 10 days to make it happen because I spawned some more popcorn yesterday and the day before. I ran out of the 2 gal bags so I spawned it into coffee cans and some other trays I had laying around-IMG_20190228_223827.jpg IMG_20190301_060159.jpg IMG_20190301_060329.jpg IMG_20190301_060408.jpg -The last one is a 4" cutting dome for plants, the tray is only like 2 1/2" deep so I hope it's thick enough sub. I also used a dome from a cookie tray too which is only about 1 1/4" deep, we'll see how they do. 

If I can't get a mini, non-automated martha designed and built by the time these are ready to fruit, I might just put bags over them with GE holes for fcs. Of course the clone-dome does not need to be in the martha.

Edited by Billcoz, 01 March 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#35 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

If you case it and put it in a larger container it will not need any other humidification. As long as the main container is pretty full with casings it will self humidify.

#36 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

If you case it and put it in a larger container it will not need any other humidification. As long as the main container is pretty full with casings it will self humidify.

That's what I was thinking, just making a small rack wrapped in heavy ml plastic and let the subs and casings provide the moisture, but I did think of adding a tray of wet perlite in the bottom if more RH is needed. We'll see, I might put bags over the cans and use a big bin for the other trays for now and work on a tent for later, gotta see what I got for shelves.

Edited by Billcoz, 01 March 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#37 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:27 AM

yea you can just put a bag over each one and stab a few holes and then call it a day. The key is a few slits cut at spawning. Then when you notice pins stab a bunch more slits.

• Billcoz likes this

#38 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

yea you can just put a bag over each one and stab a few holes and then call it a day. The key is a few slits cut at spawning. Then when you notice pins stab a bunch more slits.

I got tin foil circles laid on the sub with slits. I am out of big bags right now, I'll be getting some one of these days. I use em to mix the sub/spawn in before dumping it in the cans/trays/tubs. The coffee can subs are 3 1/2" deep, ~1:4 sub/spawn, 2 pints of sub to a lil bit more than half pint of spawn per can. 

Edited by Billcoz, 01 March 2019 - 12:55 PM.

#39 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

If you have any leftover empty filterbags you can place whole trays in them secure with paperclips and use them as FCs, too. Mist and fan to your liking. You can even fill the bottom with perlite.

You can get real creative with plastic, filters and trays :)

#40 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

My sandbags utilize 24x10x36 2 mil gusseted bags if you wanna be a super radical dude with big nipples like me.

• AbnormalMortaL and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!