• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

Forgot to mention, I did put a top layer of sub as sort of a "casing" with the sub in the cans and trays, but I know it will colonize. I'm going to take JKDeth's advice and use a fork to break up the casing layer then patch it with sub.

#42 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

My sandbags utilize 24x10x36 2 mil gusseted bags if you wanna be a super radical dude with big nipples like me.

I literally LOLed.
  • sandman and Billcoz like this

#43 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:30 AM

This is before I started picking-IMG_20190312_003555.jpg IMG_20190312_003614.jpg

Here is everything I harvested from the two bags so far, letting the rest open more-IMG_20190312_004658.jpg

This is what's left in the bags to pick-IMG_20190312_004334.jpg IMG_20190312_005414.jpg

Not a horrible flush, but notice how uneven the pinning/ripening is, the late pins? All the spawn from that particular isolation, all from the same agar plate, puts out short, dense fruits(that are potent!) at first but while those are about to open, a second wave of pins starts actually getting taller that the shorter, already ripening wave.

That makes it a real bitch to get the short fatties out before they drop spores all over the inside of the bag without breaking loose a few of the still growing pins around them.

I have noticed that bumping almost opened fruits can make the veil break and they start to drop spores, also it seems like fanning does that too. My theory is that since wind carries spores in nature, that the fanning triggers the fruit to drop spores, so as to let the wind carry and help spread the spores and genetics. That would be an evolutionary advantage, and it seems to happen IME. What do 'yall myco-geniuses think, hmm?

Edited by Billcoz, 12 March 2019 - 01:33 AM.

• sandman likes this

#44 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:41 AM

Oh yeah I forgot, I wanted to ask for some advice. One bag feels pretty light when i pick it up, so it needs a dunk. What do you 'baggers', sandman, that's you, also D24/PJ24(i think they might be the same person, both are '24s' haha).

Anyways, how do you guys dunk, just dump water in the bags? Would it be smart to put them in new bags after the soak? The insides of the bags are getting 'sporry', and sub crud is smeared on the bag in a couple spots.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 March 2019 - 01:42 AM.

#45 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

Hey that's not a bad showing at all. I woulda harvested all those though. Any sporulation chokes the second flush.

I don't dunk or spray any water in my sandbags at all. I just go for 2 flushes and throw it in the compost pile. It's not worth the hassle of dunking, less work to just spawn another bag. 

Edited by sandman, 12 March 2019 - 07:10 AM.

#46 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

Hey that's not a bad showing at all. I woulda harvested all those though. Any sporulation chokes the second flush.

I don't dunk or spray any water in my sandbags at all. I just go for 2 flushes and throw it in the compost pile. It's not worth the hassle of dunking, less work to just spawn another bag. 

I harvested the rest of those a couple hours after I posted those, I'll get a pic of the rest of the harvest later. I am cool with getting 2 good flushes and then making room for new stuff also, because I like growing them as much as I like having a stash. There are a few new pins already starting, but like I said the one with the least fruits left in it in the pics in the previous post feels pretty light weight, so it might not have enough moisture to get another good flush. When I spawned em I did try to keep it on the drier side of field capacity, I have made the mistake of too much moisture before, so I was trying to be careful of that.

#47 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

I just add a bit of water to the bag and toss it in the fridge...if you do this make sure you drain off the water well after the dunk.

If theres a ton of spores I put water in the bag, shake it around, then dump it out before I put new water in for a dunk as a sort of rinse.
  • Billcoz likes this

#48 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

Cool thanks D. There's not a ton of spores, just some smeared up on the inside of the bag but not a whole lot dropped on the sub.

I tossed the sub from that last 'grated cake' tub out today, it was trying to put out a 5th flush but only half of the pins developed to maturity. I had it sitting away from the grow area and noticed green in there today, so I hurried it out to the garden to dump it. Pretty sure it was trich, deep forest green, actually a pretty green color but gross. I bleached out the tub real good. I also tossed the last of the first batch of popcorn tubs after a good 3.5 flushes, just wanted to get the tub back and the sub out before that was green too, though it had a few small pins forming, I would rather just get a new batch going.

Gonna knock up a few new coffee soaked popcorn jars later and make up a couple syringes, then tommorow I will hit up some agar with those, plus I made a few 1/2 pint jars with like 1/2" popcorn each to try Fahtser's pcorn isolation tek. Even if it does not get me a sub strain, I'll be making slurry syringes from them. Also I have some LC sterilized that needs to be banged up, I'll post about it.

#49 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

I harvested some more from the bags earlier-IMG_20190312_170641.jpg

Gotta pick these in a little while-IMG_20190312_170714.jpg IMG_20190312_171012.jpg

I took them out of the boxes, maybe the sides will pin more. I probably will dunk the one that feels really light, which has a few small pins.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 March 2019 - 05:27 PM.

#50 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

Looks like you got quite a bit from those 2 mini harvests. If you picked em all at once I bet the pile would be impressive.

If you think it feels light I would personally dunk. If the sub is dry it's hard for the bag to even maintain RH let alone have enough water for a decent flush.

Sandman knows his stuff, and for 2 flushes hes totally right, but he also knows how to hydrate perfectly. Hes been doing bags a long time, so he doesnt need a a dunk for his 2 flushes. If you went dry in the beginning the need for water is exaggerated in this case.

If you stick to it you'll find that sweet spot, too.
  • Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!