4 replies to this topic

#1 Doja

Doja

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

Hello!

I'm interested in growing edible mushrooms in the near future. I'm curious about any must read books about mycology, or mushrooms in general. Any other resources would also be greatly appreciated. Other than Mycotpoia, which I intend to scour regardless. Basically any resource that is a must read on cultivation, mycology, or anything mushroom related that you've found helpful and full of knowledge.

Thanks for your time!

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets.

#3 Doja

Doja

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:23 AM

Thank you! I ended up starting to read Growing Gourmet and medicinal mushrooms and his other book cultivating mushrooms.

• Cuboid likes this

#4 GaetanoZ

GaetanoZ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:49 AM

The Mushroom Cultivator - Paul Stamets also contains some good info, most of which u can get in Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms, but some info is unique to this book.

#5 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

I'm in a similar situation, in college I majored in chemistry and did only very little microbio work in my first year. That was a decade ago now.

I have a chemistry lab in my basement [not quite as nefarious as it sounds :wink: ] but I'm having difficulty remembering biology techniques.

Would anyone recommend a microbiology lab manual for first/second year college students? Like what gear is used, how to make agar without boil-overs, how to manipulate equipment without contam, basic techniques, etc. A biology labs equivalent of 'Vogel's Textbook Of Practical Organic Chemistry' would be just awesome.

I want to finally explore isolation, cloning, breeding, etc. of fungi so I can get beyond multi-spore cakes.

Edit to say, I'm starting with 'The Mushroom Cultivator' for now.

Edited by ElrikEriksson, 11 August 2019 - 01:40 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!