3 replies to this topic

#1 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

Has anyone tried growing mushrooms on bamboo?

Also, has anyone tried Redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) I know its quite resistant to rot so I'm thinking it might have antifungal chemicals in there but Im not sure... I was thinking of Shiitake, I know Mountain Ash and Rosegum (Eucalyptus regnans and Eucalyptus grandis) are used as substrates in Brazil... 

#2 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

I was wondering the same thing.  Found this thread.  I'll keep digging.

I found this interesting write-up of a study comparing the growth of oyster mushrooms on Moso bamboo sawdust vs. conifer (Japanese cedar) sawdust.  Both grown with either rice bran (RB) or Sweet Potato Schochu Lees (SPSL).  They got some interesting results.  Surprisingly, there is an abundance of this type of bamboo is certain places, as there is a much higher demand for the shoots than the rest of the plant.  I'm not sure of the cost and availability over other substrates here in the West, but it certainly looks promising as a more ecologically-friendly alternative to using a hardwood.

Cultivation of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostrreatus) on fermented moso bamboo sawdust

https://www.scienced...018364717311527

"Shochu is a traditional Japanese distilled liquor, made by rice koji (Aspergillus kawachii), which is koji mould grown on rice grain. Rice koji is an essential ingredient of Japanese liquors such as shochu and plays as a source of enzyme to degrade starch... SPSL contain 1.4 times the nucleic acid-related substances of RB since it contains koji from shochu lees and yeast. BS which have been fermented for 2 months, contains microbe-derived nucleic acid substances, which seem to have shortened the growth."

Conclusion

"Conifer sawdust or broad-leaved tree sawdust is generally used for mushroom cultivations. Bamboo sawdust contains more nitrogen-free extracts (NFE) and less crude fiber compared to conifer sawdust. Based on the obtained results, bamboo sawdust with sweet potato shochu lees or mixture of rice bran shortened the total growth days by 3–7 days compared to the control group. Bamboo sawdust as the substitution for conifer sawdust did not affect the main components or the mineral compositions in the fruit bodies. The oyster mushrooms grown in the media with bamboo sawdust contained higher amount of free-amino acids than those from the control group of conifer sawdust. From these results, we concluded that bamboo sawdust can be used as the base material for the oyster mushroom cultivation. In future, the investigation of Moso bamboo sawdust could be applied in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia with their subtropical climate in order to extend their usage."

#3 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

A couple of other helpful posts on the topic:

https://mycotopia.ne...mboo/?hl=bamboo

Bear in mind that both Oysters and Cubensis love bamboo ! Its fun and easy to shred the bamboo in the fall and lay the chips back where the crop was. Then you lay your popcorn in and BAM self-propetuating cubensis colony.

First pic Oyster on Bamboo
Second Pic Cubensis on Bamboo

post-10514-138186229655_thumb.jpg post-10514-138186229662_thumb.jpg

I meant to update this for the record. P. Cyans mycelium does indeed like Bamboo. In fact it really likes it. What was happening was the Bamboo bed I had was heavily covered by cedar trees and it was not getting much rain. I watered it from time to time but could have done better.

Turns out that Bamboo chips can dry out quite quickly on the top of the bed. When I watered them good followed by steady rains , sure enough the growth was excellent. Even the "dry" pieces reanimated. A good sign was that the bed is completely inter-locked with mycelium.

Sorry for not updating this earlier. Hopefully there will be some P. Cyans fruiting on the Bamboo and I can document it. For now I can say that Bamboo makes an excellent spawning material for this species.

I'll do a check on Bamboo chips for Azures , Ovids and Cyanofriscosa shortly... before the snow flies.

post-10514-138186557807_thumb.jpg post-10514-138186557795_thumb.jpgpost-10514-138186557786_thumb.jpg

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

That is what is called false bamboo , Japanese Knotweed , Fallopia japonica ... Highly invasive in many areas but I live in the mountains and even after decades it never spreads the way it does in other places. Really good results with chipped knotweed. There is the stringy fiber and the inner pith-ring that is spongy. Of course its very hollow like real bamboo.

Edited by hyphaenation, 10 February 2019 - 06:21 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!