23 replies to this topic

#1 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

Just thought I'd post this to demonstrate a strain that did not go through any development before prints were sold cheap. Notice there are 4 or 5 distinct phenotypes, variance to the point you might get a bad opinion of the strain, Orissa India, but its not the strain itself, its just the parentage of the print I received. It will be fun seeing if I can develop 2 or 3 distinct consistent phenotypes.

20190128_115538~2.jpg

20190128_115554~2.jpg

20190128_115515_Burst01~2.jpg

All were from the same print, made into spore solution. Some bird seed spawn, some popcorn. The one that looks like a cake, isn't actually a cake, its a half pint birdseed with maybe two teaspoons of verm.
  • Deleena24, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#2 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

You're growing mushrooms out of just birdseed and verm (the half pint)?

Also, what is the background of these spores? Old spores or just a cheap vendor?

Edited by PinkMenace, 28 January 2019 - 01:58 PM.

• peacefrog likes this

#3 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

I love seeing grows like this, with strains that haven't been "commercialized". There are so many ways for the fruits to turn up that you get the occasional gem OMG freak that you just have to clone.

I noticed almost nobody grows this strain. Cool post. I like the ones with lack of most pigments. You find that in Chitwan, too. Another great strain.

I have also done grain mixed with a small amount of verm, it works surprisingly well, but it's nothing new. Casing of some sort is definitely recommended to anyone thinking of attempting it. RGS and a little verm works really well, too. Only downside is that the sub usually falls apart after the 2nd flush if you're not really careful about it.
  • Billcoz likes this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

The story of the birdseed : I had a box of canary/parakeet feed, no sunflower seeds and no cracked corn, but it was nasty stuff when I rinsed it. Probably do to additives that constituted "vitamin fortified" went through 3 or four color changes before rinsing clear. May not have been harmful, but if my spawn went through pink and green colors, I'd have tossed it. Anyway, I then proceeded to over hydrate it. Frustrated and impatient, I drained it while turning to steam dry fairly well, and tossed in a cup of verm, mixed in, to allow for excess moisture. 4 half pintz, 5 pints were filled from the mix. It was never meant to be cakes, but spawned at 1:1 or 1:1.5

Just happens we were talking about pins on grains at the time, and this pinned like 24 hours after full colonization. So I just let it run to see what happened. What you see here is third flush on not cake thing. The others are first flush.

I don't reccomends as anything other than a curiosity. Standard pf tek yields much better.
  • Deleena24, PinkMenace and Billcoz like this

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

The print is part of 8 prints I picked up from 2 vendors on a site I won't mention. 2 out of 8 have been miserable failures. 1 was poor, disappointing. Colonized well, but hardly fruited at all. I let that one slide to poor fruiting genetics. (Although I've never had that happen before).

So the Orissa is number 4, I'll call acceptable, but neutral. Number 5 is Treasure Coast I will have fruiting in a week or two. Wait just remembered there was also an AA+ that failed to germinate on agar. Two left I haven't tried, Lipa Yai and PESA.
  • peacefrog likes this

#6 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

PESA is usually a really well performing strain across the board. It fruits on an in anything IME.

I have to state that yes PF tek is way better, but I was surprised in general that it got the results it did.

The RGS and Verm does perform really well, though. Just as good 1st flush as PF, but then it falls apart. Maybe if you added some brb it would hold together better.
  • peacefrog and PinkMenace like this

#7 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,604 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

I loved Orissa India, although I have read bad reports, mine were exemplary in a lot of ways, in particular size and potency. I had several really big ones and one that was HUGE. I also had some awesome spiritual experiences on that strain as well. The Treasure coast did well for me mentally as well, but grew very tall thin fruits with small caps. Lots of them though! 

• peacefrog likes this

#8 MysticalMyco

MysticalMyco

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Some of the prettiest dried mushrooms I have ever grown have been from my Orissa India grow. When I dried mine they had beautiful flakey gold caps fiberous beige stems. They were perfect.

My Ban Hua Thanon on the other hand were some of the ugliest dried. Dark shrivled up 85 year old man penis look stems blued like crazy.

#9 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:48 PM

These had fold flakes on the dry caps. Thought it was verm at first, lol.

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

Here's the first Orissa India I fruited. A birdseed cake that pinned heavy invitro. I don't remember what flush this is, maybe 5?

20190209_133217-1.jpg
  • Deleena24 likes this

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

Beautiful grow, jk!

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Peacefrog. I give the credit to the mushrooms. They've been strong enough to survive my mistakes.
  • peacefrog likes this

#13 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

Looks like your “mistakes” are paying off brother.

Edit: I just noticed your award. Rightfully deserved!

Rock on jk!

Edited by peacefrog, 09 February 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

Wow. I just noticed having an award as well.

Anyway. Just wanted to share this scrappy picture, its the Orissa clone pinning a cluster on th he oatmeal agar.

20190211_171248_Burst01-1.jpg
  • Deleena24 likes this

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

Clone wars! Looks like I'll to grow out both.

20190218_122414-1-1.jpg
  • Deleena24 likes this

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

Just an agar jar. This from the cluster above. Transfered a pin from that agar.

20190327_213132-1.jpg

#17 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

Latest update. This happened. The Leucistic Orissa India .

20190506_224248_Burst01-1.jpg

I don't care for the "chode" look, but sometimes larger mushrooms start out that way. This a week after spawning.

Clone on "fancy" birdseed, spawned to coir/verm with a touch of earthworm casting, coffee and egg shells.
  • bezevo likes this

#18 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,604 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:08 AM

Largest fruit I ever had was Orissa

#19 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

OI got me some the biggest average fruit size i have seen, tub only flushed about 16 fruits first flush, all of which where 16+g each dried. those where easy to harvest, unlike the thai's i have grown which almost always produce small fruits

Edited by Phungivore, 07 May 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#20 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,428 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

So many pins on this thing, not sure I'll get my monster, still shaping up pretty good though.
  • roc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!