93 replies to this topic

#81 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:13 AM

I wouldn't go doing shots of it like bezevo did lol, not all the time at least.

A Common sanitizer used in home brewing is StarSan its an acid based sanitizer . very safe effective .

StarSan is good stuff.  It is food grade phosphoric acid, and it is very safe to use.   I keep a spray bottle of solution in my kitchen and use it all the time. 

Some tips about StarSan, if its PH gets over 3.5 then it becomes less effective.  When this happens the mixed SS will turn cloudy.  Hard water (think lime) will cause this to happen almost instantly when you mix it.   So for effectively use you should use distilled, or RO water to mix with.  (1/4 tsp SS / 750ml of H2O, or 1 oz / 1 gallon H2O IIRC)

Another tip is that it requires contact time to work.  A surface needs to be wet for at least 60sec for it to do its job. 

Yeah, this sounds like the stuff I was thinking of.  Never used it myself.  The iodine-based stuff was easy enough to use and the color provides a nice indication of the effective mix ratio.  But nice to have something that doesn't potentially discolor plastic on contact.  Didn't realize it was food grade phosphoric acid, interesting.

#82 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

I like this thread, lots of vital information being passed around. I take extra care in making my jar lids. I like to use an alcohol swab, gloves, kill the AC for about 10 minutes, spray a little Lysol around my kitchen island and that’s it. Try to keep everything super simple. Peace.
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#83 MedicineMan9

MedicineMan9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:35 PM

Wow, I can totally picture some neophyte spraying a bunch of Lysol in the oven then turning it on to realize the hard way that it was a Gas range, of course after they put the fire on their eyebrows out.

While there is humor in that, it is a possibility and this should be avoided, perioid. I would hate to read about someone burning their face off and burning down their home because bad info is still circulating. I mean, hold balls batman! Kits are crazy anyway. Especially when ingredients are so readily available. I know how bad it was when I blew up my glovebox.

I've been using 99% IPA to clean and spray my SAB and only heard that they could explode yesterday! It made sense when I thought about it but I hadn't lol. Do they actually go bang?

So, it's prompted me to re-think: (a) I can dilute my IPA with water to 70% and make it stretch further, and (b) I should probably use soap and water to spray down my SAB instead of IPA. Will soap and water be as effective as IPA though? I mean, will making that change raise my risk of contamination? I'd appreciate the thoughts of you more experienced folks. 

#84 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

I've been using 99% IPA to clean and spray my SAB and only heard that they could explode yesterday! It made sense when I thought about it but I hadn't lol. Do they actually go bang?

So, it's prompted me to re-think: (a) I can dilute my IPA with water to 70% and make it stretch further, and (b) I should probably use soap and water to spray down my SAB instead of IPA. Will soap and water be as effective as IPA though? I mean, will making that change raise my risk of contamination? I'd appreciate the thoughts of you more experienced folks. 

There shouldn't be any issues with explosions as long as you don't have any ignition source, either open flame or spark.  Keep in mind that some people have had their car catch on fire at the gas pump from something seemingly as innocuous as using their cellphone while pumping gas.  Most people recommend a 70% IPA vs. higher percent because of how quickly the alcohol offgasses.  70% will stay on the surface longer, resulting in a better chance of sanitizing.  I don't know how much it decreases the chance of fume ignition but it's bound to help somewhat.  Of course you could just douse extra with the 90%+, but then you are increasing the concentration of fumes.  Not fun for breathing either.

• Turtlegirl and MedicineMan9 like this

#85 MedicineMan9

MedicineMan9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

I do my innoculations in a small closet misted with bleach water.

I've also read that outside during or just after rain works as the moisture settles the contaminants ..... which made me wonder about the bathroom just after you've run a hot bath or had a hot shower and the air is misty with water vapour. Obviously not as good as a SAB, and you'd want to let the air settle, but what do you guys think? Could that work for a quick inoculation? 

#86 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,763 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:19 PM

Not a bang.. More of a super quick whoooosh of flames lol.

• WalkingCatfish and MedicineMan9 like this

#87 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,558 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:23 AM

Mild soapy water is all you need to clean your still air box. It's not a sterile air box, don't rub your agar plates on the walls. 

• Deleena24, peacefrog, WalkingCatfish and 1 other like this

#88 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:36 AM

There shouldn't be any issues with explosions as long as you don't have any ignition source, either open flame or spark. 

Well how are you supposed to flame sterilize needle tips or utensils while working in the SAB with no ignition or flame nearby?

• MedicineMan9 likes this

#89 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:40 AM

There shouldn't be any issues with explosions as long as you don't have any ignition source, either open flame or spark. 

Well how are you supposed to flame sterilize needle tips or utensils while working in the SAB with no ignition or flame nearby?

Typical sanitizing of a SAB occurs before use.  Whatever the method, it aims to sanitize surfaces and perhaps control airborne contaminants that are present in the SAB and the immediate environment surrounding it.  Usually a "rest" period occurs before actual use of the SAB.  This allows not only for dissipation of any fumes, but also settling of particulates.  By the time you are ready to utilize an open flame, there shouldn't be sufficient combustibles.  Many find it difficult to flame within the SAB environment for any extended period due to the lack of sufficient oxygen, since the whole idea is to limit airflow, thus "stale air" or "still air."

• Soliver and peacefrog like this

#90 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:03 AM

You let the SAB sit long enough after spraying/wiping it down for all the volatile fumes to dissipate before bringing your flame anywhere near it.

Edit; I just noticed meadmaker answered already. I need coffee.

Edited by Cuboid, 12 February 2019 - 03:05 AM.

#91 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:15 AM

I know the fumes are not gonna catch(most likely anyways), i was just kinda making a smart assed statement, it didn't land well ha.

• onediadem and Soliver like this

#92 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

Sarcasm and weirdness doesn't always come across correctly in board threads. 

That's why I stopped using either.   :)

soliver

• mushit and Deleena24 like this

#93 MedicineMan9

MedicineMan9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

The room still stinks of alcohol, even after standing time. I think I'll just switch to soap and water for spraying the SAB. It sounds safer lol .... and will also be cheaper. Thanks for your thoughts guys.

• sandman, peacefrog and Billcoz like this

#94 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,786 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

I wonder how Turtle Girls grow is going? Hope she doesn't give up.
  • peacefrog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!