• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trippyfish

trippyfish

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Hello! Newbie here. I've got one semi - successful run under my belt so far, but in truth it was more of a fluke than anything. I colonized a micropore bag full of hydrated rye berries, allowed them to reach pinning in the bag, went through all the proper steps of dunking and rolling, then placed them within the hydrated perlite lined, breathable tub on tinfoil squares and left them to their own devices. 

I'm still not entirely clear, but from what I've been reading I believe i'm missing a few steps.

If i'm connecting the right dots, I believe the rye berries are meant only for the colonization of the mycelium, and i'm then supposed to distribute the PC'ed berries into some form of jar TEK or monotub method, instead of birthing the colonized rye berry cakes and allowing them to fruit (or lack thereof, from my experiments). 

My main question is this, assuming what I have stated is correct, how can I sterilize my verm, CoCoir, and manure mixture without a pressure cooker? Unfortunately at the time I cannot acquire one, and only have access to steam sterilization on stovetop.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you!

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

Your fungi will fruit directly from the colonized rye berries. 

If you plan on using manure - and have a flower bed or other outdoor location - you won't even need to pasteurize. Just wet the manure and mix in the colonized berries for a larger outdoor patch. The mushrooms will rip right through it and you'll have bigger fruits than you may get indoors. 

• MycoBabe and peacefrog like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Hello! Newbie here. I've got one semi - successful run under my belt so far, but in truth it was more of a fluke than anything. I colonized a micropore bag full of hydrated rye berries, allowed them to reach pinning in the bag, went through all the proper steps of dunking and rolling, then placed them within the hydrated perlite lined, breathable tub on tinfoil squares and left them to their own devices. 

I'm still not entirely clear, but from what I've been reading I believe i'm missing a few steps.

If i'm connecting the right dots, I believe the rye berries are meant only for the colonization of the mycelium, and i'm then supposed to distribute the PC'ed berries into some form of jar TEK or monotub method, instead of birthing the colonized rye berry cakes and allowing them to fruit (or lack thereof, from my experiments). 

My main question is this, assuming what I have stated is correct, how can I sterilize my verm, CoCoir, and manure mixture without a pressure cooker? Unfortunately at the time I cannot acquire one, and only have access to steam sterilization on stovetop.

Thank you!

For the substrate, which is what you are describing, you want to pasteurize and not sterilize.... You sterilize your grain in a jar or a bag, colonize that grain, and then you mix it with a pasteurized bulk substrate...

You can build a steam sterilizer using a wallpaper steamer, a digital thermometer and a plastic tub or garbage can...

What I would suggest in this first run is that you pasteurize stove top in water.... get a mesh laundry bag or jersey knit pillow case, fill it with your substrate mix, and submerge it in water on top of the stove.

Use a thermometer to keep the mix above 160F and always below 180F... keep it at those temperatures for 4-6 hours and then let it sit overnight to drain the excess water out. I have hung the bags from a nail in the ceiling of my basement in the past to let water drain.

Once the water drains out and it is a field capacity, the amount of water the substrate can hold with only a few drops coming out while squeezing a handful, you can mix it with your colonized grain spawn....

Hope this helps!!

#4 trippyfish

trippyfish

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:35 PM

Your fungi will fruit directly from the colonized rye berries. 

If you plan on using manure - and have a flower bed or other outdoor location - you won't even need to pasteurize. Just wet the manure and mix in the colonized berries for a larger outdoor patch. The mushrooms will rip right through it and you'll have bigger fruits than you may get indoors. 

Thank you!

For the substrate, which is what you are describing, you want to pasteurize and not sterilize.... You sterilize your grain in a jar or a bag, colonize that grain, and then you mix it with a pasteurized bulk substrate...

You can build a steam sterilizer using a wallpaper steamer, a digital thermometer and a plastic tub or garbage can...

What I would suggest in this first run is that you pasteurize stove top in water.... get a mesh laundry bag or jersey knit pillow case, fill it with your substrate mix, and submerge it in water on top of the stove.

Use a thermometer to keep the mix above 160F and always below 180F... keep it at those temperatures for 4-6 hours and then let it sit overnight to drain the excess water out. I have hung the bags from a nail in the ceiling of my basement in the past to let water drain.

Once the water drains out and it is a field capacity, the amount of water the substrate can hold with only a few drops coming out while squeezing a handful, you can mix it with your colonized grain spawn....

Hope this helps!!

Thank you both! It's good to know I wasn't completely incorrect in my processes.. LOL. I'll try half the run straight from the berries, as i've modified my technique since the first initial run, then when I gain a little more confidence and knowledge i'll pasteurize (thank you for the terminology correction) and go for a monotub run. I live in the northern US, so no outdoor attempts quite yet.. but I do have a spot picked out for this summer!

• Myc likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

I've moved this over to the Magic forum for more views and commentary. 

Patience is a virtue. Starting an outdoor bed in the early summer is a great idea. Again, when you take on a project like this you can even work with contaminated grain spawn so long as it's not too far gone. No need for sterilization or pasteurization other than at the spawn prep stage. 

#6 trippyfish

trippyfish

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

I've moved this over to the Magic forum for more views and commentary. 

Patience is a virtue. Starting an outdoor bed in the early summer is a great idea. Again, when you take on a project like this you can even work with contaminated grain spawn so long as it's not too far gone. No need for sterilization or pasteurization other than at the spawn prep stage. 

Thanks for the move, I'm still new to this forum and I'll try to organize myself a little better in the future :)

My first Pf Tek run this past September failed spectacularly for a variety of reasons (one being I wasn't on this forum yet! haha) and I discarded the material in the back corner of my property where we've removed/mulched a few trees in the past. Hopefully the cold hasn't killed off all the mycelia and i'll have a little surprise in the coming months. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!