• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

My shroom and bud drier is a Tupperware-type container with calcium chloride (a strong desiccant, sometimes sold in hardware stores as DampRid) in the bottom and window screen material cut to fit the inside.

I can put harvested bud in there immediately. Shrooms are mostly water, so I like to dry them in open air for 3 days first, to avoid using up the desiccant too quickly.

Attached Thumbnails

• drier.jpg

• roc, Sidestreet, MycoBabe and 1 other like this

#2 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:53 PM

Imo they dry out really well regardless where you put them as long as there is air flow and low humidity. It works well if you put them on a tray in the oven. That place is always dry when you use the stove. Don’t run the oven to dry them. Also pointing an area fan at them accelerates it.

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

I've used the damp rid. It was common many years go. I have a high speed fan I put them kind of under so air pulls instead of pushes if that makes since. 24 hours there then to the damp rid.

Personally I think oven drying is horrible. The only way I've seen noticeable potency loss.

I use a dehydrator now.

A lot depends on local relative humidity. We're really dry right now. In the summer the humidity is thick.
  • clumsy likes this

#4 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

Why is oven drying horrible? I am not sure I understand. The purpose wouldn't be to create some kind of accelerated drying effect by high heat but rather to have created a dry environment that occurs from the oven heat. We aren't baking the mushrooms. In fact the heat would be minimal possible, which should be less than that under direct sun outside. And what I propose is it won't even be on when they are in there. It just could be heated and it could stay closer to the target temperature longer due to metal interior of the oven and the dryness that the oven immediately creates. Of course you'd need the thermometer to know when to put it there.

In fact it wouldn't be worse than a tabletop dehydrator/desiccator because the dehydrating devices also actually raise temperature inside to push the drying. They can go as high as 130 °F, 50-60 °C

Edited by TheBigRip, 05 February 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

If you're not using heat, its no different than any other box. If you're using heat, you need external air flow, otherwise it becomes moist heat.

Dehydrator is the way to go. Without a dehydrator, fan pre dry and dessicant.
  • Juthro and Cuboid like this

#6 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

On rare occasions I give a bit to friends (half the fun of growing). I always cut a square of fabric, pile a bit of desiccant in the middle, then tie it up for a home-made desi-pak. That goes in the plastic baggie with the shrooms.

#7 Thepurplethumb69

Thepurplethumb69

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:58 PM

A couple months ago my clothes dryer broke so I had an idea, I bought a clothing rack, put it in my bathroom set a dehumidifier in there and closed the door. The next day my clothes were extremely dry. I do the same thing now with mushrooms. Cracker dry, no heat!

#8 MrBeanDean

MrBeanDean

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

IMG_0222resized.JPG

So I had my mushrooms sitting in with desiccant over night and I ended up with this black stripe going down the stem. Is it infected? It wasn't there when I had harvested it. It also appears on some caps. Was it because of the spores dropping?

Also will caps turn green when water sits on them? Or if there is a green spot on the cap is it safe to eat?

IMG_0224resized.JPG

#9 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

I found these at a store where everything's a dollar.
They work great for my little personal batches. The rest have gone in the dehydrator. I've found that a dehydrater isn't necessary. A fan and a cardboard box, cracker dry, then in jars with desiccant.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190930_163901.jpg
  • 20190930_163927.jpg

#10 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

Why is oven drying horrible? I am not sure I understand. The purpose wouldn't be to create some kind of accelerated drying effect by high heat but rather to have created a dry environment that occurs from the oven heat. We aren't baking the mushrooms. In fact the heat would be minimal possible, which should be less than that under direct sun outside. And what I propose is it won't even be on when they are in there. It just could be heated and it could stay closer to the target temperature longer due to metal interior of the oven and the dryness that the oven immediately creates. Of course you'd need the thermometer to know when to put it there.

In fact it wouldn't be worse than a tabletop dehydrator/desiccator because the dehydrating devices also actually raise temperature inside to push the drying. They can go as high as 130 °F, 50-60 °C

Psilocybin begins oxidizing at temperatures above 100f (if I remember correctly, pretty sure I do)

I did it once at the lowest possible temperature and ruined the batch my friend that I grew them for was so disappointed with me, I'll never forget it. Dehydrators usually run at 85-90f they're the best method of dehydrating but a fan will do the same job in 48 hours where as leaving them in a breeze will take 3 days (depending on humidity)

I prefer fan drying because they become as close to cracker dry as possible but without being cracker dry and 1g is still as strong as 1g cracker dry so it only makes sense to have the extra weight (they keep fine too in ziplock bags)

No one ever complains and they stretch out further that way rather then running out and feeling bad for not being able to give some fellow new age hippie their first psychedelic experience.... at least that's how it goes for me.

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:21 AM

Rumor has it oven can work, If you crack the door open, and point a fan at it. I don't, because I have a dehydrator, and the only time I've seen potency drop was oven drying.

Heat doesn't hurt, but it needs to be dry heat. An oven without extra airflow provided spends a lot of time too humid.

#12 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

People say use dehydrators and whatnot. 

But honestly unless you're working in bulk, just "start it off" under a fan for a few hours, then put into a few square tubs with lids (Buy chinese food, and keep those containers) with a layer desiccant of some sort and paper to separate it and you'll get the cracker dry mushrooms that'll last a very long time.

#13 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

Use your dehydrator trays, but just set a fan on top/ bottom, in a dry environment. I sometimes finish with a damprid container set up until cracker dry, then into jars.
I like oxygen absorber packs inside jars, but fruit will keep either way.

#14 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

fan

#15 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

I use a dehydrator with the heat set to 70°C (~155°F) and always run it for 12 hours. I haven't really noticed any difference in potency compared to the fresh ones.

Psilocybin begins oxidizing at temperatures above 100f (if I remember correctly, pretty sure I do)

Many people claim this, but I have never actually found a study that proves it. All I have read is anecdotal evidence that it begins oxidizing at 100°F, and I have read even more anecdotal evidence that claims that those temperatures do NOT hurt the potency. All I have found proof of when searching about psilocybin and heat is that the melting point is 220–228°C (428–442°F). Not only is that temperature way above the temperature of a dehydrator, it is just the melting point.

I am not a chemist and haven't been into this hobby for very long, so I'm not saying that you necessarily are wrong and my intention is not to be rude to you. But it would be great if I could actually get to read a study that proves this.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#16 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

You are right Nibano, it is old info that higher temperatures will harm the potency. I think time is a more important factor in the degredation/reaction. It would be better to dry them quick at a relatively high temperature than to dry them for a longer period at a low temperature. The reaction is with oxygen so it's best to expose them as short as possible to air.

In any case you would have to have them out for a substantial time for potency to really decline.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 December 2019 - 10:00 AM.

• macgyver likes this

#17 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

I also use a dehydrator at 145 for about 8 hours. I try to dry them as quickly as possible after picking. As Rutger said, exposing them to air for a long period of time is not good. I also read last night that if you pick a mature fruit that is dropping spores, it will rot faster than if you pick it before the veil tears. In my experience they seem more potent when I dry them right away in the dehydrator vs. when I used a fan to air dry them. More convenient as well. 

That being said, desiccant will also get the job done, great for long term storage as well.

Edited by macgyver, 08 December 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#18 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

As important as it is to get your mushies cracker dry, it's just as important to KEEP them cracker dry if you want to store them.

Best practice is to seal cracker dry mushies in vacuum sealer.  If you don't have one, keep them sealed in a container with some dessicant (like DampRid) or--my personal preference--store them in honey.  A friend of mine has had mushies in honey in his freezer for three years and says they're still very good.

Check out: https://mycotopia.ne...fungi-in-honey/

Which can be found in the Member Libraries thread... some of the best threads on the site IMO:  https://mycotopia.ne...st-of-the-best/

Also, my personal favorite recipe is Golly's Honey Tek: https://mycotopia.ne...ney-extract-20/

More on Golly's Honey Tek:  https://mycotopia.ne...ealthier-honey/

https://mycotopia.ne...ealthier-honey/

Both teks are found in Magic for the Masses, the book linked in my signature \/\/\/\/

• macgyver likes this

#19 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

@clumsy, Here is a great recent thread on drying.  I went deep on trying to establish a standard protocol for long-term storage.  I think the thread does a great job at hitting most issues re drying and storage. 

https://mycotopia.ne...orage-protocol/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!