• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MycoBabe

MycoBabe

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

Sooo.... I am getting a divorce, my husband sucks.... he hasnt seen our son in over a year.... I have had too much bullshit in Ohio... so I"m done.. and I am moving to Arizona... I am really scared tho....  

I am not really sure y I am sharing here... I just dont have anyone else to share with... Life sucks, I'm a month away from 40.. and my son thinks his father is some asshole that just recently stole our business...  idk... thoughts? 

• Coopdog, Alder Logs, Juthro and 1 other like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,725 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

Damn that is a big step.  But I support ending a dysfunctional relationship, they don't do anyone any good.  So good for you for recognising that its not working anymore, and for being willing to move on with life.

I've never been to Arizona but I have friends from there, and they've always spoke highly of it.

If you really want to run away from the rest of the world and start fresh, I could recommend some nice places here in AK, lol.

In all seriousness, I wish you godspeed, and much success with whatever you decide. 

• Coopdog and Alder Logs like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

I think we all share personal hopes and fears here, because we feel a kind of safe zone, where people care. Sometimes just getting things out in itself is a healing step.....

I've spent a lot of time in Arizona. The heat in the Phoenix/ Tuscan areas can be brutal in late summer. I personally have a much greater love for The area from Prescott, up to Flagstaff. The Cottonwood Creek stretch.

Sedona falls right in the middle of that, and is a incredibly beautiful place, as well as being "The Land of Vortexes".

It is a paradise for metaphysical practitioners...............

You would feel in your element there.

Picking up and moving to a whole other world is scary, no doubt. I would never advocate doing that without doing some homework first, and then getting some basic plans set up.

Regardless of where you choose to be, you always have a home here..............

• coorsmikey and Coopdog like this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:25 AM

How exciting it is to start over! Plus, it is never a bad thing to teach children about what is and isn't acceptable in a relationship so they do not grow up to make the same choices. I agree with Sky. The area's he spoke of are some of my favorites as well. I have always loved Flagstaff. I almost got heat stroke in Phoenix when my car broke down on the interstate. Banging hot for sure, and not a place I would find any enjoyment with temps that insane. Best of luck!

• Coopdog likes this

#5 MycoBabe

MycoBabe

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:21 AM

Yeah.... IDK  I might be running...  yes i'm scared...lol... we will see if i actually have the balls to do it...   However, I have family there, including my grandmother who is 91, so needs someone checking in...  I would be renting from a childhood friend.  I would have support ,  but its still hard bc my son has Autism, and my parents do help me with childcare sometimes... But its soooo dysfunctional..  I need to figure it out tho... soon

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,725 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

I meant no disrespect with the running away remark, but I stand by the fact that I think you moving on is a healthy thing, no matter if that means a geographical move or not,   And I do strongly wish you the best.

Peace, and friendship.

:)

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,711 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:09 AM

Hey I sort of "ran away" from Ohio back in 86. I am from Marion and it is a heroin and meth infested den of thieving dope fiends and people who act like friends but would steal you blind. I came out here to visit and ended up finding a job and staying, with basically NOTHING to start but a determination to be in a better place. I never did anything better for myself in my entire life. I just want to offer you up some rocking good encouragement, and wrap you in positive energy and a blanket of hope. I have a good feeling about this from reading your post, you have people there, (We didn't and made it anyhow) and you sound determined. That's one helluva solid foundation to build on. 

You might get there and meet up with some awesome people and find a great job, and all the chips will fall into place. Ohio is a fucking awesome place to leave in your rear view mirror, and this I know from experience. I never made a better decision in my life, other than maybe to marry my awesome wife who has been here by my side all these years since. Now the tax situation here is dictating that I move back east when I retire, but it will certainly not be back where I came from. I will move to Southern Ohio or KY out in the country away from the madness. 

Good luck with your move and I hope to hell you can find the nerve to pull it off. Make your resolve and just do it. I have never done anything better than leave Ohio, so there is some encouragement for you. I thought the whole world was as crappy as Ohio. It is NOT. There is a better life out there just waiting for you to come grab it up. 

:) Peace and git er done! You will be glad you did. I know you will. 

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

#8 Devu

Devu

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

I wish you the best of luck. Arizona is the place I want to move to, there or New Mexico. I just got to wait till the kids finish a couple more years of school. It might be scary but regret is even worse. I agree with Skywatcher that do your research and have a solid plan before anything.

#9 WolfWhiz

WolfWhiz

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

Just remember in life most change is for the better especially when you are driving it...  I will share a little more than I should but I used to be a paramedic for the largest city we have in the US.... I left my career of 18 years and moved 2000 miles to a 100 acres in the rain forest... Best decision I ever made, I knew no one here when I came, but I knew I didn't belong in the city having people shoot at me constantly...

Fast forward 25 years... it was the best decision I made in my life hands down....  You can always move back, but we can never go back to earlier days... keep positive and keep learning in life and all will be good... Your happiness and your child's is the most important thing now...

Trust your instincts they are there for a reason...

Peace and safe travels and my the Spirit of the Wolf always be by your side on your journey...

Edited by WolfWhiz, 24 February 2019 - 02:09 PM.

#10 MiltonWadams

MiltonWadams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:05 AM

I'm probably a bit late to this party, but I grew up in Phoenix. It has its good points, but good god does the weather effing suck. You're hot. Continuously, for months at a time, and there's no reprieve! None! Walk outside at midnight in mid-July. It's still 97 degrees. Dry heat? So what, it's 117. Summer lasts for 7 months, and there's no such thing as a seasonal shift. There were a couple of years where it got so hot they had to close the airport because they were worried planes couldn't take off. That is not a joke.
But, the cost of living is reasonable, and the downtown area has actually become pretty hip, but stick to the East Valley if you can. Generally, it's pretty backwards-conservative, but seems to be making a bit of progress. The Mexican food you find there is the best anywhere, and that's coming from someone that has lived in every border state at this point. I go back for Christmas, but I don't think I'd ever want to live there again. But there is something magical about the monsoon season, I really miss those electrical storms.

Edited by MiltonWadams, 24 April 2019 - 01:07 AM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

I remember being in Tucson at the full moon in July once.  My last night there there was a record number of lightning strikes within the city limits.  It was a real gas.  Early the next Morning I set out to hitchhike to the LA area, and I think it was already 107 when I left.  One ride, coming into Phoenix, the guy did a detour back to his own house to give me a gallon milk jug which he filled completely with ice before filling it with water.  When he saw me hitching without water, he had to do that, plus fill the ignorant fool in on staying hydrated while in that desert heat.  He let me out on an I-10 on-ramp going into the city.  I had to walk about 500 feet to get into position to put out my thumb.  In that 500 feet, all the ice in that jug was melted.  As it turned out, the next ride I got took me off the freeway and onto some business route where the hitching really sucked.  I wound up walking pretty much across Phoenix, where I had to refill the bottle a couple times.  When I finally made it to another I-10 on-ramp on the west end of the urban desert, it was dusk.  Every big rig that went past me there brought its own sandstorm.    It was a very memorable day.   I made it to LA by the next dawn and took a buss from I-10 to my mom's house. 

#12 PasF

PasF

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Don't know you. Wanted to give my opinion though.

You have family  in Arizona which make makes a big difference. I'm from Arizona. It's a wonderful state with a mix of people, both good and bad of course. I started in the desert and ended up in Prescott and Payson. Me personally, I'd live in the mountains, but the desert sky is beautiful. I have one friend I've stayed in touch with over the years. His mindset is much more open than what I encounter living in the bible belt. 

Most of the mexican food is sonoran and is out of this world. Most mexican around here is tex-mex and I don't care it to much, but maybe I'm spoiled.

Your son has autism. I'd think Arizona would provide exceptional care for him in school. 

Sounds like an adventure if you ask me. Being scared makes you more aware which is a positive. Natural instinct. 

I'd personally move back to Arizona if I didn't have children, but they were born here and are too much a part of my life to leave. 

I hope you and your son find a place and enjoy each other wherever it might be. Divorce is ugly, but for me it turned out great. 

Edited by PasF, 24 April 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#13 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

Your son has autism. I'd think Arizona would provide exceptional care for him in school. 

I have several friends who are teachers there.

Arizona is ranked near the bottom for school funding nationwide, and was one of the states with a teacher walkout last spring.

https://cronkitenews...gets-low-grade/

Think twice if your son has special school needs. 

#14 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

I have several friends who are teachers there.

Arizona is ranked near the bottom for school funding nationwide, and was one of the states with a teacher walkout last spring.

https://cronkitenews...gets-low-grade/

Think twice if your son has special school needs. 

#15 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Apologies for the double post. My mistake. If anyone can tell me how to delete a post, I'm all ears!

Edited by JanetPlanet, 01 May 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Sorry to hear all this. I moved back to AZ about a year ago. Was stationed here and came back after I got out of the military. I missed desert life so much. I hope things work out the way they need to. Such a beautiful state and so diverse. I haven’t looked back since

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

Follow the path that is most likely to being you happiness and spend the time to make thoughtful decisions... I would just like to point out that a change in scenery doesn't always bring the change in life we hope for... Happiness is all about perspective, its internal... Sounds to me, if he hasn't seen your kid in a year, that the husband is already out of your life...??? So what are you "running" from... I would just stress that it is important to be sure you are leaving for the right reasons and that this is not a hail mary... It would be much worse, in my opinion, to move out there and find out that you are still unhappy...

In my experience, Ohio is pretty cool!

#18 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:27 AM

I've been in AZ for a few years now.

It's hot.  

No, it's HOT.

My white-bread blood doesn't like it much.  Although, if the temperature if survivable, it is interesting to take a walk at dusk, watch Venus crawl over the spines of a Saguaro and see the pink-hued wisps accent the sky.

There really is a beautiful nature to behold out here, if you can get away from the ugly city.

But mostly for me it's work, traffic, and something resembling hell.

But this perception probably changes depending on who you're around.  We all need respect, recognition, and love.

Good luck to you.  Send me an email if you're in the Phoenix area.

• notfade likes this

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

I really enjoyed my time living there. Still have family in the state so I go visit fairly often.

Unless you head up to Flagstaff or similar areas you won't have a real Winter to deal with anymore (unlike Ohio!), and that can be nice, especially when that damned Polar Vortex drops by the Midwest or you get sick of shoveling snow. Every region has its own survival challenges, after all.

You will get good at finding shady places to park. They are worth walking farther for. Sometimes a lot farther. But I rode a bicycle 99% of the time when I lived in Tucson so scorching car interiors were rarely an issue and the dry heat makes cycling easier/more comfortable than you might think (I used to commute to and from work about 7 miles each way and the ride home in mid-Summer was often 110-116℉ but with enough water it wasn't a problem). So the same advice they give people at Burning Man applies to living in Arizona: "Drink water 'til you piss clear!"

There are some amazing places to hike and explore, even close to Phoenix. I used to camp in some cliff dwellings along Cherry Creek (East of town), which was great since they are not marked or on a main trail, so are hard to find (my gf at the time and I found them through intuition, much to our surprise). That means chances are you'll have them to yourself, and you can fill your water bottles from the waterfall at the end of the box canyon they're in. Amazing place, and sleeping inside of the actual dwellings was pretty cool, though either a spirit or a mouse stole my weed while I was sleeping there once. If you're into that kind of thing I can tell you more precisely how to get to them. And Arizona is covered with places like that; it would take a lifetime to explore them all.

Oh, and if you do go hiking around in the desert, be sure to carry a small comb (a regular cheap comb is fine). You will use it to remove any cactus spines that end up stuck in your skin, especially if it involves a piece of "jumping cholla" (it doesn't really jump at you, but pieces break off and stick to you if you merely brush past one. Do NOT try to remove spines or cacti chunks with your fingers; that's what the comb is for).

• notfade likes this

#20 notfade

notfade

WALSTIB

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

I've been in AZ for a few years now.

It's hot.  

No, it's HOT.

My white-bread blood doesn't like it much.  Although, if the temperature if survivable, it is interesting to take a walk at dusk, watch Venus crawl over the spines of a Saguaro and see the pink-hued wisps accent the sky.

There really is a beautiful nature to behold out here, if you can get away from the ugly city.

But mostly for me it's work, traffic, and something resembling hell.

But this perception probably changes depending on who you're around.  We all need respect, recognition, and love.

Good luck to you.  Send me an email if you're in the Phoenix area.

I did almost 39 years in the Phoenix area.  (Tempe, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Buckeye).   Born and raised there.   Recently moved to the east coast for work.

Phoenix is HOT 7 months of the year.   "Winter" there is doable.

I miss those sunsets terribly, getting out of PHX and into the desert is key in the evenings.  Hike hike hike!!   Such beauty in the desert.

AZ/Phx can be great as there is so much to do within a few hours of driving, when its hot:

Flagstaff - 2 hours away (trees, 9,000 ft, much cooler)

Mogolon Rim (camping/trees/8000 ft much cooler) - 3 hours

San Diego - 5 hours! (drive a bit fast to make it to the beach in that time)

Food:

Spinatos

Los Dos Melinos

Filibertos

Somebody mail me some food plz! :)

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!