I'm trying to grow PE on rice cakes. I use a SG chamber with a low temperature so far (around 68-70F).
1. About the air capacity to hold water vapor, does it make a great difference between 70F and 80F ? Would it be one of the reasons that PE prefers hotter temperatures? I'll try to find a way to heat it up anyway, but i was wondering about the theory behind it.
2. I mist my chamber a lot, I try to avoid the cakes, mainly I mist the walls and the ceiling and sometimes I just mist in the center, just not aiming directly at the cakes. Is this OK or do they need more direct water?
3. If some cakes don't have much vermiculite left on the sides, is it an option to roll them another time in verm?
Q. about contamination
4. Smell : when I open the lid, it has a humid odor, let's put it that way. Nothing that is getting worse over time. It's possible to smell the mushrooms as well, should I be worried?
5. I've got some blobs and I guess some pins, but the pins are always white/yellowish. I don't see any dark spot on the hat that would make me recognize a small PE mushroom. Can I still expect to have PE and not another strain?
6. Few blobs got dark blue overnight... can it be contamination ? Should I be worried? I took one blue blob out and rinsed it under water and some of the color washed away. Is it a bad sign? Usually, the discoloration comes from the blob itself or is it supposed to be something else that covers the blob ?
7. A few blobs tend to grow in clusters, litteraly like grapes, should I be worried? Are they more likely blobs or contamination? Should I pick them up or let them grow, if the latter, until what cue?
Thanks a lot ! If you need more pictures, let me know I have plenty more during the whole process. : )