Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

PE blobs in clusters, dark blue discoloration overnight, contaminated?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to grow PE on rice cakes. I use a SG chamber with a low temperature so far (around 68-70F).

1. About the air capacity to hold water vapor, does it make a great difference between 70F and 80F ? Would it be one of the reasons that PE prefers hotter temperatures?  I'll try to find a way to heat it up anyway, but i was wondering about the theory behind it.

2. I mist my chamber a lot, I try to avoid the cakes, mainly I mist the walls and the ceiling and sometimes I just mist in the center, just not aiming directly at the cakes. Is this OK or do they need more direct water? 

3. If some cakes don't have much vermiculite left on the sides, is it an option to roll them another time in verm? 

---

Q. about contamination 

4. Smell : when I open the lid, it has a humid odor, let's put it that way. Nothing that is getting worse over time. It's possible to smell the mushrooms as well, should I be worried? 

5. I've got some blobs and I guess some pins, but the pins are always white/yellowish. I don't see any dark spot on the hat that would make me recognize a small PE mushroom. Can I still expect to have PE and not another strain? 

6. Few blobs got dark blue overnight... can it be contamination ? Should I be worried?   I took one blue blob out and rinsed it under water and some of the color washed away. Is it a bad sign? Usually, the discoloration comes from the blob itself or is it supposed to be something else that covers the blob ?  

7. A few blobs tend to grow in clusters, litteraly like grapes, should I be worried? Are they more likely blobs or contamination? Should I pick them up or let them grow, if the latter, until what cue?

Thanks a lot !  If you need more pictures, let me know I have plenty more during the whole process. : ) 

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190201_180343.jpg
  • 20190201_180400.jpg
  • 20190201_180448.jpg
  • 20190202_092406.jpg
  • 20190202_092622.jpg
  • mycelium out 20190201_014916.jpg
  • grapes 20190131_220244.jpg
  • grapes 2 20190201_014424.jpg
  • blue blobs 20190201_180227.jpg
  • Blue Blob jog.jpg

#2 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

Blobs with PE are common, especially in the first flush. If you leave em they usually grow. They are also known for being slow fruiters, too.

They also blue really easily, just from growing. The color isnt supposed to wash off, though. Try swabbing them with a q tip lightly. The blue shouldn't transfer to it... if there is transfer of color, you probably have a contamination.

They're safe to eat assuming they are PE blobs.

The next flush should have more "normal" looking fruits.

Your cakes can definitely be re cased with vermiculite, especially after a good dunk :)

#3 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:53 AM

Hmmm so I did the Q-tip test, so as you can see, it was something else covering the blob.

So what am I supposed to do from here? Can I still use it as tea or something like that?  Also, I took the cluster of blobs from the cake and I got this, rinsed it (hence the wet look in the pictures)... since they also had a little bit of that unknown contamination (unknown to me anyway), should I be worried about eating it someday? 

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190203_222155.jpg
  • 20190203_222549.jpg
  • 20190203_222324.jpg
  • 20190203_222744.jpg
  • 20190203_222632.jpg
  • 20190203_222711.jpg

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

I really did not expect anything on the q-tip. Other than that those look like regular PE blobs, which blue like hell, and are edible. They're definitely active.

With the q tips, are you doing a quick, light swab? Literally 1 quick swipe. Or are you rubbing so hard its absorbing water and/or rubbing the first brown layer off?

The point of the q tip is just to see if there are competitor mold spores. They are most commonly green. If you had black mold it should be more noticable...

Hopefully someone else chimes in, because the q tip threw me off. Other than that, they look relatively normal for blobs.

If it were me, I'd make tea from them, just to be safe and eliminate my paranoia. IMO, if that was contamination, your cakes wouldn't grow much of anything except colors like green, red, or black. At that point they'd have an unpleasant odor, too.
  • DreamingRaven likes this

#5 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Stop misting so much. Try again from spores and when you get a decent looking one clone it. That's the best way to work with ol' PE. 

• Deleena24, coorsmikey and DreamingRaven like this

#6 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

pe will make the qtip blue from rubbing it even the blobs.

• Deleena24 likes this

#7 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• Free Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

pe will make the qtip blue from rubbing it even the blobs.

I'll second that lol

#8 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

Everything's too wet is your main problem AQJ

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

See? Nothing to worry about. You can eat what you have, just take Sandmans advice and dont mist as much. Next flush you should get more normal looking fruits.

PE is an oddball. It's a mutant by selection so weird growths happen.

Have fun with those. Use or dry them ASAP.

#10 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

Hoorayy!! :D :D :D :D  Thanks guys! 

That said, when do I know that the first flush is over?!  Haven't found much info about blob harvest :/ 

#11 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

The first flush is over when you pick off all the fruits, or blobs in your case. Lol

Then dunk if necessary and roll. That's the start of flush 2.

I do have to mention that if left to mature, the blobs can get quite big. I would basically pick them all at once if it were me once I noticed they weren't growing anymore.

#12 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

I really did not expect anything on the q-tip. Other than that those look like regular PE blobs, which blue like hell, and are edible. They're definitely active.

With the q tips, are you doing a quick, light swab? Literally 1 quick swipe. Or are you rubbing so hard its absorbing water and/or rubbing the first brown layer off?

The point of the q tip is just to see if there are competitor mold spores. They are most commonly green. If you had black mold it should be more noticable...

Hopefully someone else chimes in, because the q tip threw me off. Other than that, they look relatively normal for blobs.

If it were me, I'd make tea from them, just to be safe and eliminate my paranoia. IMO, if that was contamination, your cakes wouldn't grow much of anything except colors like green, red, or black. At that point they'd have an unpleasant odor, too.

1 light swab gave a little bit of blue, but on the picture, there were lots of swabs! ;) 

• Deleena24 likes this

#13 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

The first flush is over when you pick off all the fruits, or blobs in your case. Lol

Then dunk if necessary and roll. That's the start of flush 2.

I do have to mention that if left to mature, the blobs can get quite big. I would basically pick them all at once if it were me once I noticed they weren't growing anymore.

Hmmm all right. I will try to stick to that guideline then. I was worried about letting these blue-ish blobs grow..hence the early pickup of some blobs. I wanted to make sure that they wouldnt contaminate the other cakes. (In retrospect, I guess this wouldn't prevent much)  Thanks !

The more I learn about mushrooms, the more I realize that mushroom growing is an art. For every page of theory, you can expect at least 2 unwritten pages of nuances. ;)  

• Deleena24 likes this

#14 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:28 PM

What about these blobs?!? 

Lent a single cake to a friend who wanted to observe daily its behavior. Helped her make a tiny SG chamber with perlite. Her room temperature is about the same as mine. Her perlite was maybe a little too wet. Light, FAE are about the same, but somehow, her blobs became huge compared to mine !! Is there any logic explanation besides variance? The only major difference ...is that she actually talks to them hahah! 

Besides the size, would you be concerned about that green-ish color? Smell wasn't that great to be honest but I suspect that this was the perlite, because after she picked up the blobs and rinsed the cake, smell was normal, mushroom-wise.

Thanks for your inputs

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190209_115958.jpg
  • 20190209_120019.jpg
  • 20190209_120034.jpg

#15 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

Sorry for the double post, didn't want to mix up subjects as I got my first mushroom-shaped P. Envy!  Woot Woot! 

Not sure though about that black ring under the cap.  Does it mean that it is ready to release spores?!?  Am I supposed to harvest it right now?

Thanks for your inputs again guys!  = )

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190210_100142.jpg

Edited by AQJ, 10 February 2019 - 10:32 PM.

#16 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

Both the colors, including the "black" ring around the caps is bruising. It's just very dark in which makes it look black.

The blobs are still normal. The blueing is completely normal.

#17 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Both the colors, including the "black" ring around the caps is bruising. It's just very dark in which makes it look black.

The blobs are still normal. The blueing is completely normal.

Thanks! so what would be the visual cue to pick them up? 

#18 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

It's mostly preferance, but most people suggest picking right before or right after the veil breaks. I personally like how they look when they open up a bit, though.

Like I said earlier the blobs are done when they stop growing.

#19 AQJ

AQJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

It's mostly preferance, but most people suggest picking right before or right after the veil breaks. I personally like how they look when they open up a bit, though.

Like I said earlier the blobs are done when they stop growing.

hehe well, they don't grow at all for now :/  I'm not even sure I can call 'em blobs. The big blobs in the pictures above were on a single cake outside of my actual "main chamber". I currently have 6 cakes in the main SGC and only one has mushrooms, others have, at best, tiny tiny dots (blobs I guess?) .... but they don't seem to grow whatsoever.  So this is why I am a bit confused. I'm not even sure if "they are done fruiting" or if they haven't started yet, looking for potentially better conditions...?! ... 

Unless someone suggest me otherwise, I guess I will give them a few more days and if nothing happens, I will dunk the 5 stalled cakes hoping for something to happen.

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate.

• Deleena24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!