Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Single landslide after 3 months. So happy.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

I am making this post in the hopes of inspiring others to try "exotic" species and not be scared to screw up. It assumes experience growing other mushrooms, including agar work.

The syringe was labeled "P. caerulescens 2017". I found very little and often contradictory information on growing this species. Searching for the synonymous "P. weilii" leads to a little more, data.

Either it requires wood or not, it loves rye grass seed and hates PF style cakes, or viceversa. It requires casing, but the casing must either contain nutrients or be fully inert, it loves coir or coir always gets contaminated. You get the picture.

EARLY NOVEMBER: Syringe to agar.

In November I made some PDA plates. In a still air box I put a drop from the syringe in a clean watch glass (one can use the bottom of an upside-down shot glass or any other concave glass object) and used the tip of a flame sterilized needle to transfer tiny droplets to the center of the plates.

I got a ton of contamination, as can be seen at the top here. My plan was to keep making transfers until I got a few clean plates with healthy growth.

IMG_20190102_172449_censored.jpg

MID NOVEMBER: Achieving clean culture.

I ran out of glass Petri dishes, so I prepared 24 "no pour plates". The tek can be found elsewhere, basically pour pre-sterilized agar into polypropylene deli containers with an air exchange port and pressure cook them. This turned out to work great later.

After 3 transfers I had clean plates. I transferred tiny wedges to 12 new jars in a still air box. 100% success rate.

IMG_20190102_155016.jpg

LATE NOVEMBER: Laziness is next to godliness.

The agar is finally >80% colonized. I was planning to do agar to grain in order to have my mother grain culture. But once I had everything inside the still air box sterilizing the scalpel and cutting wedges seemed like to much work, so I just poured sterilized grain into the agar jars. Worked great.

IMG_20190126_164714.jpg

EARLY DECEMBER: [worm] Shit sandwich.

With enough mother culture it was time to try some 'bulk' substrates.

In my pantry I had wood shavings (cherry and pecan), hay (oats), vermiculite, worm casings, brown rice flour, other grain flours, and coconut coir. In a coffee grinder I shredded, in separate batches, the woods, hay and coir to get a nice texture. I made different mixes, added water until field capacity, and sterilized them all in half pint batches.

There are no recipes, all was done by feeling. The mix had to fill airy enough, but still have some density to it, and they had to look and smell good. I approached this like mixing a cocktail by taste. All in all I ended up with 12 different mixes.

Using the same small polypropylrene containers I layered some substrate, followed by some colonized grain, topped with more substrate. I believe this is called the sandwich tek.

IMG_20190112_215257.jpg

All the mixtures colonized, but the fastest and better looking were the ones with hay, wood and coir. The ones with worm poop were slower, and may still yield some fruits.

My favorites are the ones where the shredded hay or coir provide the structure, and finely ground wood and a little bit of grain flour stick to the hay/coir to provide the food.

MID DECEMBER: Casing.

Again I tried different recipes based on the different information found online. The two main schools seem to be coir/moss and cactus soil. Some people speculate that adding fine sand should work better, some go so fast as to suggest mostly sand with a bit of organics mixed in.

Here you can see a few experiments, including a 95% fine sand casing. Similar to the substrate the ones that looked best were the ones were coir provided most of the structure, with the other additives kind of filling the gaps.

IMG_20190204_175318.jpg

DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY: Hurry up and wait.

As soon as I cased them I put the jars in 6 quart shoe boxes with a thin layer of moist perlite on the bottom. In my experience the loose fitting lids and daily misting take care of air exchange.

In this time I got over 6 flushes of cubensis, even went from spore print to spore print once. The derrumbes looked stalled. But finally it happened.

I HAVE A SINGLE DERRUMBE, AND IT IS SO PRETTY.

I think one can even see the waxy looking pellicle in this picture.

IMG_20190204_170711 (1).jpg

Just for comparison here is an out of focus picture of a cubensis and a fingernail for scale.

IMG_20190203_215124 (1).jpg

THE FUTURE: Please halp!

I will try to keep this thread updates as the rest of the jars succeed or fail. I would really appreciate any advice on how to grow this species, and any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for looking and for being such a good place to hang out and learn.

• roc, sandman, coorsmikey and 6 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,398 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

Very nice write up !

It took me a bit of research to understand the "Landslide" part. Now I get it, and the name likely comes from the frequency of these woodlovers coming up in disturbed soil, such as a landslide would produce.

The single mushroom is a beauty, and I am hoping you get many more.....

Headed over to POTM from here.................. :biggrin:

• coorsmikey and peacefrog like this

#3 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

Wow, impressive post! I cannot help with the questions you have but I am intrigued.

I love how you just dumped the grain on the agar culture, that's so simple but genius lol. 

• MedicineMan9 likes this

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:32 AM

This helps me. I've read so much conflicting info on the species, and didnt want to have to do all the grunt work you did. Thank you for taking the time to get me started in the right direction.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#5 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

I love how you just dumped the grain on the agar culture, that's so simple but genius lol. 

Yeah, I think this is the single best part of this experiment, will become standard procedure.

Give it a week or so in agar to make surer there are no contams, then dump some grain in there.

Edited by ResponsibleAdult, 05 February 2019 - 01:30 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

Nicely done!

Keep us posted on your endeavors with this species. I love exotics myself.

Good vibes!
  • PinkMenace and Billcoz like this

#7 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Very good stuff. Thanks for sharing your grow!

#8 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

This guy is slow. In the time between the previous picture and this one I had a whole tray of cubensis go from tiny pinhead to open caps.

The veil is just starting to tear.

IMG_20190206_200417.jpg

#9 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

The deli containers as petri dishes then dump in the substrate - genius!

#10 ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

Follow up in new thread, hopefully more search friendly.

Derrumbes 2nd flush (caerulescens, weilii, mazatecorum, villarrealiae)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!