34 replies to this topic

#21 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:08 AM

Another update. Got the prints I wanted from that tub. Long story short, end of the cycle I hand one pint of spawn left. So I spawned it at 1:4 in a manure supplemented substrate just for fun. And this happened. This tub was spawned 7 to 10 days ago. I expected tonight that maybe it started pinning and I should get ready to put the top tub on.
Here's what I found.

20190701_000244-1.jpg

And here's the bottom:

20190701_000809-1.jpg
  • Tenderfoot and peacefrog like this

#22 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:53 AM

Very nice tubs!

Treasure Coast is also one of my favorites as well.

Funny fact though, they always used to say that they could throw out albino and/or lecustic phenotypes, but I have yet to see one personally.

Still a solid and highly domesticated cube.

#23 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

I'd heard that as well. I haven't seen an albino yet. I have gotten two distinct phenotypes but one is just smaller and lighter in color. The second flush on the lighter color is doing an odd thing. I'll try and get a picture later.

#24 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:42 PM

Here's the odd phenotype on the smaller treasure coast tubs. If it even is a phenotype. The back story these started as pins left after harvesting first flush. The caps opened quickly and have looked like this the entire life cycle. They don't drop spores. They have been growing larger for maybe 5 days.

20190701_170059-1.jpg

20190701_170220-1.jpg

I have a second tub like this doing the same thing.

Edited by jkdeth, 01 July 2019 - 04:45 PM.

• peacefrog and joeya like this

#25 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

Interesting, have you cloned that pheno? It would be something to see an entire dub tub canopy of them!

#26 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,261 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

Nice. They are a very sweet cube IMO.

#27 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Actually I think I might clone it, just to find out if its an actual phenotype or its just environmental.
  • joeya likes this

#28 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

Probably is a good idea for testing the bulk waters. Don't know the reasons but there was little side pinning. My substrate tubs pin everywhere.

For anyone trying this when I spawned the bottom tub it was close to the top, then a pop the lid on, these have three, quarter inch holes covered with micropore.

Is this a good method to attempt the Puerto Rico, or maybe the PE MS I have laying around? I got them before (actually, you) advised me that they do better with a bulk tek. And to get a PF tek under my belt first...

#29 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

You mean the straight verm tub? I can't say for sure. In that one you're just adding a moisture reservoir. It needs a pretty vigorous fruiter to work as well as the one pictured. Maybe the PR, but I probably wouldn't expect PE to do well.

Either should do well with a pretty simple coir/verm substrate. Maybe a tiny bit of coffee added.

Dub tubs in general should do well with both of those. 6 quarts or 2 quarts even.

#30 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:01 PM

Thanks. You have kind of become my go to source for guidance lately. Since this was the first forum I have ever joined I did not realize how rare a supportive and generous community/members was. Thank you. I am planning on doing a few 5 lb bags of sclerotia soon. While I have my SAB out I may have to try my hand at a dub tub on a small scale seeing as my first PF grow will be over long before I actually get around to the next experiment...

#31 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

5 lb sclerotia should be a nice yield. Make sure a post when that harvest comes around. You can harvest the stones and spawn the leftovers for a chance at some fruit bodies.

#32 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

I KNOW!!! How cool is that. 2 experiments in one!!! I started this as a way to produce medicine, but I think I am feeding my inner geek more, and getting great therapy out of the hobby just putting in the work and research.

#33 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

The oddball TC fruits ran to the top of the tub, doubling in size or better. They did finally drop a spores.
  • joeya likes this

#34 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:49 PM

I can certainly see TC pushing up some luecistic fruits based off this grow alone. I skimmed through the photos but i think i seen a few in there. Excellent grow!

#35 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

From ms the genetics were random. Some tubs "classic" cube phenotype. Some paler. For one reason or another I haven't time things right to clone.

But my thought process is if it does rarely throw an albino, ms may be the better route. Compared to hoping to randomly isolate a rare genetic trait.
  • Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!