• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

I am currently in the process of my first grow and I only just realized that the mycelium needs gas exchange to colonize, most of my jars are near full colonization and i never removed the foil from the tops. Is it recommended to remove the foil now or leave it on or maybe remove it in a sterile environment and attach filters? What should I do?

#2 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

If you are following PF Tek then you have a vermiculite barrier acting as a filter. If so you can remove the foil. If it's almost colonized then you probably are okay to leave it on as well. So in short I don't think it matters. The agonizing part is almost over:p
  • DaveyJonez likes this

#3 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

If you are following PF Tek then you have a vermiculite barrier acting as a filter. If so you can remove the foil. If it's almost colonized then you probably are okay to leave it on as well. So in short I don't think it matters. The agonizing part is almost over:p

Okay awesome.. This seems to show me that gas exchange is unnecessary?.. The jars have been covered for a month is there any risk of contams from the dry verm getting moist?

#4 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

From my understanding CO2 build up will slow/ stall growth and gas exchange is necessary at some point.  If you are worried about gas exchange remove the foil. Be patient you got this.  As far as the verm getting moist if you followed the PFTek to a T then you have no worries just don't shake the jars.

Don't Worry Be Happy :biggrin:

• DaveyJonez likes this

#5 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

Awesome thanks guys.. I will be removing foil when I return home!

#6 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:15 AM

It looks like some of my jars no longer have a dry verm layer which indicates to me that it got wet and subsequently colonized.. does the likelyhood of contamination go down as colonization goes up? .. should i just uncover my jars for gas exchange or keep them covered for contamination resistance?

#7 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

It looks like some of my jars no longer have a dry verm layer which indicates to me that it got wet and subsequently colonized.. does the likelyhood of contamination go down as colonization goes up? .. should i just uncover my jars for gas exchange or keep them covered for contamination resistance?

It's not uncommon for the mycelium to reach up through the verm. Maybe post some pics? And yes, the more an area is colonized the less likely that specific area is to contam.
  • peacefrog, Sikfreud and DaveyJonez like this

#8 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:43 PM

I already took all the foil off so I hope I'm okay c24fe3d9169ea22b351c5ddc2a33fa6a.jpg
  • Deleena24 and Sikfreud like this

#9 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

Looks good!!!
  • DaveyJonez likes this

#10 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

Some of those pints look about ready for the FC - weird, as they generally take a LOT longer than 1/2 pints.

Looking good overall - that's a nice tidy spot for your friends to spread out  :)

soliver

• DaveyJonez likes this

#11 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

Some of those pints look about ready for the FC - weird, as they generally take a LOT longer than 1/2 pints.

Looking good overall - that's a nice tidy spot for your friends to spread out :)

soliver

Thank you sir, cleared them the spot myself!
  • Soliver likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!