• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

Hello all, hope life is going well.  I inoculated two 1lb grain bags with albino penis envy spores via syringe.  My holding chamber is keeping them at 75°F and they are in a dark, sterile cabinet. Humidity is around 50.   It has been seven days and there is still no sign of mycelium growth.  There is a little more condensation than I've had with other strains.  Is something wrong?  Are there any pros out there who could give me advice on this tricky strain?

Thanks, 

-LegoMyego

#2 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

It can take a while for spores to germinate, be patient and just keep an eye on them.

I'd really be surprised if there viable spores in that syringe though since ape doesn't normally drop spores. You'd be better off with a LC, swab or agar wedge.

Good luck though and I hope you see signs of life soon.
  • coorsmikey and LegoMyego like this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,152 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

7 days is not panic time yet. Could even be growth you can't see.
  • peacefrog and LegoMyego like this

#4 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

It can take a while for spores to germinate, be patient and just keep an eye on them.

I'd really be surprised if there viable spores in that syringe though since ape doesn't normally drop spores. You'd be better off with a LC, swab or agar wedge.

Good luck though and I hope you see signs of life soon.

Thanks for the response.  If there is nothing by Day 14 do you think it would be a bust?  I got the spores from a reputable site that has sent me some solid spores in the past.  It was a limited time "novelty" listing so I wanted to give it a shot.  I am having a difficult time finding information about the strain online besides its potency.  

#5 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

7 days is not panic time yet. Could even be growth you can't see.

True.  I was a little panicked because on other strains I have seen mycelium as early as day 3 or 4.  Still pretty new at this.  The spores looked good so hopefully we'll see growth soon.  Will keep you updated!

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,152 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:27 PM

Yep, I can vary a lot. My most recent were all slow, I put it off on cool temps. On the other hand I had a batch of cakes that were actually fruiting in 21 days once. Now I try to just not look for 7 to 10 days. I try anyway.
  • LegoMyego likes this

#7 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

Yep, I can vary a lot. My most recent were all slow, I put it off on cool temps. On the other hand I had a batch of cakes that were actually fruiting in 21 days once. Now I try to just not look for 7 to 10 days. I try anyway.

I'm documenting the entire process in the hopes of assisting other novice growers.  Since I'm checking them everyday it is making it hard to be patient.  These should be worth the wait!  

#8 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Did you squirt the spore solution on the side so that it could run down the side of the jar or just straight into the grains. As jkdeth mentioned, sometimes its hard to see especially if its tucked behind some grain. And absolutely document the process, I'll be curious how this comes about!

I have seen it take upwards of 3 weeks to see signs of life.

#9 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

Did you squirt the spore solution on the side so that it could run down the side of the jar or just straight into the grains. As jkdeth mentioned, sometimes its hard to see especially if its tucked behind some grain. And absolutely document the process, I'll be curious how this comes about!

I have seen it take upwards of 3 weeks to see signs of life.

I injected .5ccs into 4 different spots in the grain.  Putting it on the side is a good idea, I just didn't want to puncture the bag. Here is my process so far: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=AmWbjYgNEhQ

3 weeks?? That's crazy.  I'm learning that patience+sterilization=a good grow

#10 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

Ok yeah you shot it down inside the grains, it may take a minute to see the growth.

#11 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

So space it out more next time.  Anything else I can do to improve?

#12 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

Update

Yesterday (Day 10) I removed one of the grain bags from the holding chamber (carefully, with a sterile gloved hand) and noticed some mycelium that broke through to the outside of the bag.  I think it was slow because of the strain itself and I injected deep inside the bag instead of at the top and letting the solution run down.  I don't see any signs of contaminants at this point.

Mycelium.jpg

#13 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

10 days for APE is not unusual for me, looks healthy so far :thumbs_up:

• LegoMyego likes this

#14 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:18 PM

I've had 1 bag of APE take 21 days just to germinate. PE, too.

When you've got mycelium covering about 20% of the surface, break it up and massage the colonized grain throughout the bag. It should speed up the process when you've reached that point.
  • LegoMyego likes this

#15 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

Deleena24, I have heard that you wait until 70% coverage for breaking it up.  Should it be 20%?

Source: https://www.shroomsu...it-instructions

Edited by LegoMyego, 11 February 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#16 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

Yes, most people here do their breaking up at 15 to 30%. If you wait until its 70% the benefits of mixing won't be as effective, as in if you mixed earlier the bag probably would have been done in the time you waited to get to 70%.

I think most people here will agree that most kits dont give the best advice. One company is still suggesting oven innoculation.

Edit- I read the guide, and other than mixing at 70% it's a good guide. IME if your bag stalls when you mix it at 15 to 30%, it would have failed eventually anyways due to bacteria, a different contam, or bad moisture content of the bag (too much or too little).

Edited by Deleena24, 11 February 2019 - 12:40 PM.

• Cuboid, WalkingCatfish and LegoMyego like this

#17 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

Thank you, I'll be sure to mix up the grains around 25%.  There is still a little humidity in the bag (can see in the previous picture), hopefully this does not stall it.  Will keep this thread updated!!

• Deleena24 likes this

#18 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:13 PM

Update: Today is Day 16 after inoculation.  Mycelium growth looked healthy and I estimate it had between 15-30% of the bag colonized (i injected internally so true growth hard to predict).  I gently broke up the growth clumps and mixed the grain spawn.  Hopefully we will have full colonization in 1-2 weeks!!

Day17.jpg

After mixing-

Day17Mixed.png  

• Deleena24, bezevo and jkdeth like this

#19 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

Update Day 25:

One bag is beautifully colonizing.  It looks to be around 80% complete.  The second is going much slower.  Should I do anything to speed up the second bag?  I'm afraid it will stall.  I still have some of the spore solution left.  Would injecting a small amount in the left bag help to speed up the grain colonization?

Day25.jpg

2Day25.jpg

#20 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Do not add more spore solution. It is a waste.

Just have patience. Try smelling the air from the filter. If theres anything other than a mushroom smell there is bacteria, otherwise just have some patience. APE is a slow colonizer, and considered a novelty type of cube. Don't expect huge fruits and flushes even when things are perfect.

Edited by Deleena24, 25 February 2019 - 01:47 PM.

• LegoMyego likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!