• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bob12345

Bob12345

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

Received an Ecuadorian syringe thats clearly contaminated. I dont live in a place where spores can be obtained and bought while visiting. I dont have time to replace. Is there any chance spores can be recovered with agar work or will the contam have destroyed all viable spores?

Thanks

20190208_171824.jpg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

Sure you could always try to clean up on agar, but you said you don't have time. It may be faster to have it replaced. You could also use the good syringe to inoculate an agar dish or small jar of grain. Then add sterile water and shake or scrap the myc loose in to the water depending on which you use. The you will have liquid inoculate to do more projects. What makes you think  the syringe is "Clearly" contaminated?

• peacefrog and Billcoz like this

#3 Bob12345

Bob12345

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:08 PM

Sorry i mean i dont have time to replace, i return home in one day. Not enough time to get a new one.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

Oh you live in a state or country that most vendor won't ship too? Sorry that was over my head even though I have a house in one of those places.

If you do have agar, I would definitely test that suspect syringe to see if really is contaminated, There are a few reasons why it may look different than others. 

• peacefrog likes this

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

Agar will certainly help you. If you can get clean mycelial growth anywhere on the plate, you will have a good chance of isolating clean growth.

My advise is always inoculate/streak several plates and play the law of averages. Most of the time it pays off, but if the spores are completely contaminated, then you will get nothing but contamination and it’s a bust. Only one way to find though, if you don’t have time to swap out the syringe.

Let us know how it goes.

#6 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

What makes you think  the syringe is "Clearly" contaminated?

• peacefrog likes this

#7 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

I would say the color of the syringe on top is what the OP is worried about. The color is a little funky. It does look more like a LC verses a spore syringe.

But then again, I’m no spore syringe expert. I personally hate the damn things, and am no good at making them. But I have purchased my fare share in my days and they never looked like that.

That being said, there is NO way of telling if it is contaminated without germinating them, or attempting germination.

Who knows, they could be clean.

Edited by peacefrog, 08 February 2019 - 10:02 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:23 AM

Kock up a jar first before you jump to conclusions. I agree, looks like an lc to me also.

• PJammer24 likes this

#9 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

Agreed. Try it before you jump to conclusions. Can't really hurt.

#10 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

I'd give it a try, I've never had one look that way, but I have had some odd ones be perfectly fine. Make some plates , or a jar and give it a go.  Can't lose much  that way.

• coorsmikey likes this

#11 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 627 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

I've had syringes that looked like this that worked out just fine. Even though the color of it was a little off I still tried it. I think I had one out of 12 jars contaminate out of it, but that could have been my fault. Try it out!

#12 Bob12345

Bob12345

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, the vendor confirmed it is infact liquid culture as was suggested above, as they did not have spores for the strain I had ordered. Will try a bit on some agar and see how it goes.

Thanks
  • Cuboid likes this

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

I find it insane that a vendor sent out an LC on an active unless I misunderstood.   :ohmy: 

• PJammer24 and DaveyJonez like this

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

I find it insane that a vendor sent out an LC on an active unless I misunderstood. :ohmy:

Precisely what I was thinking! If it’s an edible, there would be no problem receiving it in any state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

No you did not misunderstand at all, it happened to me a month or so ago and I have seen it happen to others on forums recently. I purchased what I believed to be a PE spore syringe(well thats what I ordered and was told I was getting), and received a vial of mycelium in what appeared to be water. It is becoming extremely popular nowadays, the vendor I purchased mine from now openly sells Cubensis liquid cultures on their website. It was clean and fast to take off and the strain I wanted, but just not a spore in sight. And just quietly the mycelium blues, so I am pretty sure it is one of the strains whos mycelium does produce actives.

You can see on the original post one syringe has visible spores all through it, and the other does not have one visible in that pic, but a very pale cloudy mass. You would think in a normal spore syringe there should not be any nutrition to let a contaminate grow to proportions like that?

#16 Musher365

Musher365

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

That syringe definatly looks like it was drawn from an LC.Every inactive syringe and the APE and PE syringes I’ve ordered in the past have always come in LC form. Every other cube syringe has come by ms solution.
There seems to be some surprise about active syringes coming in LC form. I’ve never had a true PE/APE fruit drop spores, so I’ve never thought a ms syringe of PE/APE was even plausible or available. Am I missing something ?

#17 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:43 AM

Untitledxx.jpg

Only difference is mine looked clear though, not the yellow tinted LC type.

@Musher 2nd post down.

https://mycotopia.ne...-ape-log/page-2

• Musher365 likes this

#18 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:08 AM

"Am I missing something ? " - for most of us it is illegal to ship/possess live mycelium of an active mushroom species.
  • PJammer24 likes this

#19 Musher365

Musher365

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

@Musher 2nd post down.

thanks pete. That’s was an interesting read on the PE printing.

"Am I missing something ? " - for most of us it is illegal to ship/possess live mycelium of an active mushroom species.

I actually brought this topic up on another site a few years back. Like what would happen if the law saw your jar of LC sitting on the passenger seat of your car ? I think, if I remember correctly,that those wiser than I were stating that possession doesn’t occur until there are fruitbodies present. That living mycelium in a liquid culture can’t be used to create a possession case.” Hey Officer, it’s my Shiitake Culture for my hobby work” . But I’m not sure problems couldn’t arise from such an encounter
I love seeing differing opinions on this issue.
And I certainly hope I’m not seen as hijacking this thread.

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

No you did not misunderstand at all, it happened to me a month or so ago and I have seen it happen to others on forums recently. I purchased what I believed to be a PE spore syringe(well thats what I ordered and was told I was getting), and received a vial of mycelium in what appeared to be water. It is becoming extremely popular nowadays, the vendor I purchased mine from now openly sells Cubensis liquid cultures on their website. It was clean and fast to take off and the strain I wanted, but just not a spore in sight. And just quietly the mycelium blues, so I am pretty sure it is one of the strains whos mycelium does produce actives.

You can see on the original post one syringe has visible spores all through it, and the other does not have one visible in that pic, but a very pale cloudy mass. You would think in a normal spore syringe there should not be any nutrition to let a contaminate grow to proportions like that?

That syringe definatly looks like it was drawn from an LC.Every inactive syringe and the APE and PE syringes I’ve ordered in the past have always come in LC form. Every other cube syringe has come by ms solution.
There seems to be some surprise about active syringes coming in LC form. I’ve never had a true PE/APE fruit drop spores, so I’ve never thought a ms syringe of PE/APE was even plausible or available. Am I missing something ?

@Musher 2nd post down.

@Musher 2nd post down.

thanks pete. That’s was an interesting read on the PE printing.

I actually brought this topic up on another site a few years back. Like what would happen if the law saw your jar of LC sitting on the passenger seat of your car ? I think, if I remember correctly,that those wiser than I were stating that possession doesn’t occur until there are fruitbodies present. That living mycelium in a liquid culture can’t be used to create a possession case.” Hey Officer, it’s my Shiitake Culture for my hobby work” . But I’m not sure problems couldn’t arise from such an encounter
I love seeing differing opinions on this issue.
And I certainly hope I’m not seen as hijacking this thread.

Unless I am completely mistaken, the spores are only legal until you germinate them... Liquid culture of actives should also be illegal... This is why no one is selling LC of all the different strains. Edibles are typically sold as LC when they could just as easily be selling spores.

The spores are sold for "microscopy use only"... Not for "Germination and not fruiting use only"...

I get that the PE strains do not sporulate well and understand why they may want to sell LCs so they can carry the popular strain... I don't understand why someone running a business like that would risk sending a syringe filled with an illegal substance. Unless of course I am mistaken and none of this is illegal until fruited when the highest concentration of psilocybin is produced... I guess i could find out easy enough but I still think, prior to re-investigation, that illegality begins at germination....

There is a chance that the psilocybin content isn't high enough to to reach the threshold of whatever test they use to verify that it is illegal and for that reason it is a low risk proposition. It may take a genetic test to verify that it is an illegal substance which would not be warranted in most instances... There is a chance the vendor is taking a calculated risk but that doesn't mean it is legal...

Edited by PJammer24, 14 February 2019 - 01:42 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!