• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

I didn't want to get deep into the technicalities of law, the details will vary from country to country and even between states. In the UK the 'drug' laws are very tight and I wouldn't personally risk buying live culture of an active species. YMMV

Edited by Cuboid, 14 February 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#22 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

In a legal sense, these companies will probably argue that the spores germinated during shipping, and they would never sell live cultures.

And as Jammer states, if the authorities went through all the money time and trouble to test the mycelium, there probably wouldn't be any actives, so a conviction would be impossible.

I'd consider it a legal loophole, but purposefully adding nutrients to spore syringes might get them in trouble, but the Feds would need a long time to build a case, and the customers wouldn't be on the hook.

I say keep ordering as long as they work and they're good cultures. Just don't ask too many questions though email or whatever so you can ultimately claim plausible deniability.

#23 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:44 PM

First of all, they wouldn't have to test the mycelium. If they are labeled actives, they just have to test the liquid for any nutritional values. Definitely shows intent and distribution. As long as I have been growing, I have never had spores germinate in just water. They are idiots and I can see another PF scenario happening. With weed becoming legal everywhere, don't think for one hot minute they are not going to go after whatever they can to justify their jobs.

#24 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:22 PM

First of all, they wouldn't have to test the mycelium. If they are labeled actives, they just have to test the liquid for any nutritional values. Definitely shows intent and distribution. As long as I have been growing, I have never had spores germinate in just water. They are idiots and I can see another PF scenario happening. With weed becoming legal everywhere, don't think for one hot minute they are not going to go after whatever they can to justify their jobs.

Yeah, if I didnt make it clear the nutritional value in the liquid would be what gets these people actually convicted.

The DEA would have to build a case, though and prove it's an ongoing and intentional thing, not a 1 off mistake. When they build that case, this vendor is fucked.

I have to ask, though. You've never seen spores germinate in water? Even old ones?

I've only had it happen like 2 or 3 times, but I have gotten syringes from a big vendor which started as spores and months later had obvious germination.

Edit- as a customer I wouldn't be too worried, but the vendor never should've answered that question over email. No more deniability. This guy doesnt seem too bright.

Edited by Deleena24, 15 February 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#25 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

This is what Agilent is trying to sell to government agencies at the moment, it uses Raman Spectroscopy which most airports have nowadays. And it is extremely sensitive and accurate, do not know exactly how sensitive the through barrier technology is though.

[Direct Link]

#26 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

I have to ask, though. You've never seen spores germinate in water? Even old ones?

I've only had it happen like 2 or 3 times, but I have gotten syringes from a big vendor which started as spores and months later had obvious germination.

I've had several syringes end up looking like LC , mainly from PE6 and Blue Magnolia, I used them and they germ'd and colonized like LC too . I asked this question several times at other sites and got varied answers, glad to know someone else has had the same experience.

• Deleena24 likes this

#27 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

Hi, Raven has anyone suggested before that the syringes in question contained glycerine(at an unusual level). I suggest this because it is commonly used to stop spores clumping together in the syringe. It would explain yellowing on extended aging;

One important thing to know about glycerin is that it is susceptible to oxidation into aldehydes and ketones. Once the glycerin decomposition reaches a significant level, the material will turn yellow. This can be delayed by keeping the solution temperature low.

https://www.naturalp...m/glycerin.html

And a more interesting point would be that it is actually a polyol, for example;

Carbohydrates active for basidiospore germination were grouped into four categories. Those sugars active between 15 and 20 hrs included glycogen, turanose, cellobiose, maltose, sucrose, glucose, fructose, mannose, galactose and xylose. Several sugar alcohols were only active between 30 and 60 hrs incubation and these included mannitol, sorbitol, ribitol, xylitol, arabitol, erythritol and glycerol. A third category of carbohydrates active for germination required prolonged incubation between 30 hrs and 7 days and included lactose, sorbose, raffinose, melezitose, trehalose, ribose and melibiose. Compounds without activity after 7 days included galactitol, inositol, acetate, succinate, gluconate, citrate, fumarate, rhamnose, fucose and inulin.

https://link.springe...1007/BF00408707

#28 TheBigRip

TheBigRip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

Well, since you most certainly cannot return it, the only option is to set up a separate jar where you'll inject it and hope that this contamination isn't actually preventing spores from growing and not spreading in the jars. I do not think there is any method to save the spores but kill the microbial contamination.

I guess, scientifically you  could use an antibiotic medication. I do not have experience doing this nor have read about it. Just guessing. If you have antibiotic. Squeeze out the contents of the syringe into a clean container. Then dissolve some  of the antibiotic in sterile water. Then put some drops into the spore solution. Antibiotics shouldn't be killing the spores, but they should be killing many common bacteria. I doubt it will work, but its all I could think of. Sounds like too much work. I'd just plant the spores and hope its ok.

#29 Bob12345

Bob12345

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

Well I knocked up a jar and had mycelium growth after just 24 hours so seems it gtg besides the funky colour. Just need to watch for contams now.

Thanks
  • Deleena24 and DreamingRaven like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!