#21 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,468 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

lol I have centurylink too. They have done fairly well by us though. 

Pharmer I am from Ohio, so I know all about those great lakes winters. These hills here make it a whole other ball game here though. I am gonna try to go to work tomorrow, the rain has reduced the snowfall by 2-3 inches now and the rain is supposed to continue. The wild card is that the temps are hovering right around 33 degrees, so a little one way or the other is the difference between a decent commute or a deadly slick one. I am gonna go in regardless, and hope for the best. 

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:48 AM

It's slush city here too.  Just no city.   My tractors don't do well in the snow either.  I have the industrial tires on them.  Good for dry traction, but not in wet snow on muddy ground.  Ag tires would hold well but would make a mess of the ground in one pass.  So, I just wait.   There has been a shit ton of rain and wet snow.  Best to just lay on top of the spinet and look out the window while some other sucker feeds the stove. 

post-131808-0-25339700-1549990121.jpg

There are my tracks to the woodshed and the deck to the new stairs that I got done in time for the snow.  Makes my 80 pound loads of wood easier to get in.  A few deer tracks there too.   I was out there in the dark with a head lamp last night.  The generator has never been that hard to start.  I pulled the rope for close to a half hour before it finally fired the first time.

post-131808-0-38161100-1549990434.jpg

IMG_2471.JPG IMG_2473.JPG

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 February 2019 - 12:03 PM.

• Coopdog and Juthro like this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

LOL,

You can borrow my Jeep if you need some 4WD action. The transfer case in it is almost brand new, and it's got a locking differential in the rear axle.

The heater core is mostly plugged though, so it has trouble keeping the windows de-iced once you get into single digit temps.  So dress warm, and bring an ice scraper.

post-136504-0-19450200-1549995139.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0003.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 12 February 2019 - 01:17 PM.

• Coopdog and Alder Logs like this

#24 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,468 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

That's pretty much what my Rogue looks like too :) I'll go out half an hour early to remove all the snow. With all this rain on it, I am sure there is a thick layer of ice under there to deal with. God I dread going out into the world again. I sure appreciated my extra time off of work. Oh well, someone's got to do it I reckon!

• Juthro likes this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

We gotta get Juth to shovel from his Jeep to the AlCan Highway so we can go visit him.

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 February 2019 - 02:37 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#26 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Alder and spinet.

Two words I would not have imagined together in a sentence

• Juthro likes this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

Alder and spinet.

Yeah, alder wouldn't be the wood you'd want to build a spinet with.  BTW, I can't play it.  It's just cat furniture that I bought at a garage sale.

• Juthro likes this

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

Alder and spinet.

Yeah, alder wouldn't be the wood you'd want to build a spinet with.  BTW, I can't play it.  It's just cat furniture that I bought at a garage sale.

Probably wouldn't want to use cascara either, unless of course you were full of chittum.....

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

Okay, dummy me tried to drive the Civic to the mailbox, hoping I could make it back.  I made it almost all the way.  The slush is quite deep.  Not the end of the world...     ...yet.

Where the car is now, and the new storeroom steps and deck. 

IMG_2474.JPG IMG_2475.JPG IMG_2476.JPG

• Coopdog and Juthro like this

#30 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

Ahem. Nice stairs. No handrail?

You're not young anymore.

• mushit, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#31 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,033 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

lol I have centurylink too. They have done fairly well by us though. 

Pharmer I am from Ohio, so I know all about those great lakes winters. These hills here make it a whole other ball game here though. I am gonna try to go to work tomorrow, the rain has reduced the snowfall by 2-3 inches now and the rain is supposed to continue. The wild card is that the temps are hovering right around 33 degrees, so a little one way or the other is the difference between a decent commute or a deadly slick one. I am gonna go in regardless, and hope for the best. 

Hills!! 80% of ohio is flat!!  Now your cornered!! :-)

Edited by PJammer24, 12 February 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#32 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

Hee hee.

Is that code Alder?

We are getting blasted here as I type.

Damn winter.  Enough already!!

• Juthro likes this

#33 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

No hand rail on purpose there.  I bring my firewood up those steps with one carrier in each hand, for balance.  I went for eight seven inch steps instead of seven eight inch steps, so when I have two of those carriers pushing 80 pounds if it's cherry, the steps come easier.  Having that big landing at the top with a roof over it is the bomb.   And was it code when I was putting that all up there from ladders on uneven ground?  OSHA didn't come by.   BTW, those were the first real stringers I ever cut.  I milled the Douglas fir myself; full 12 inch by 1 3/4s.   The deck and treads are five quarter cedar that I milled and the risers are painted plywood. I sealed the back edges of the treads to the risers with black jack roof patch.  So, the stringers don't get wet.   They should outlast me and the cabin too. 

Oh, late edit: the ends and fronts of the treads and the edges of the deck all have drip groves to keep water from running back to the frames.

post-131808-0-85078800-1550007711.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 13 February 2019 - 10:04 PM.

• mushit, Myc and Skywatcher like this

#34 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,468 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:39 AM

Cornered lol, nope I have been here in the Pacific NW in WA state since 1986. I always thought it was forever but the increases in taxes here have made me realize this will not be my retirement place. I will probably be moving back to Southern Ohio or KY in 5-6 years. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!