• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

My pressure cooker is leaking and it seems that ill probably have to replace the gasket. My question is: are my jars going to be sterile at the end of a leaky hour or should i just sterilize again next weekend with a new gasket? 

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

If its maintaining pressure in the desired range, youre good. Try wiping the gasket with some cooking oil and adjusting it into the proper place before you give up on it.

• Myc, Juthro and DaveyJonez like this

#3 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

If its maintaining pressure in the desired range, youre good. Try wiping the gasket with some cooking oil and adjusting it into the proper place before you give up on it

I only have a pressure cooker with a rocker so i dont know what pressure its maintaining but i will do the cooking oil and see.

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:43 PM

If its maintaining pressure in the desired range, youre good. Try wiping the gasket with some cooking oil and adjusting it into the proper place before you give up on it

I only have a pressure cooker with a rocker so i dont know what pressure its maintaining but i will do the cooking oil and see.

Did it make the rocker rock back and forth like it normally does for the entire cycle time?  And did it still have water in it at the end of your run.

If you answered yes to both of these questions, you should be fine.  And Mikey's advice is golden, but it doesn't hurt to get a replacement gasket before the one you have gives up the ghost completely.

Edited by Juthro, 09 February 2019 - 10:43 PM.

• Cuboid likes this

#5 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

i did the cooking oil then tried again and it still leaked .. i did goof up and run out of water last time and distort the bottom of the cooker aswell as burn the shit out of my bag and jars so i assume i messed up the seal when that happened .. do you think i need a new cooker or a new gasket? also do you think i should noc my jars or wait for a new cooker/gasket?

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

A warped cooker is a bomb in waiting. Get rid of it before it gets rid of you. I'm not kidding, it's dangerous if the metal warped. It's hardened aluminum, but if it runs out of water, and warps it has been weakened, and it's hardness compromised.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 09 February 2019 - 10:57 PM.

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:58 PM

Others are gonna give their advice on how dangerous it is to use a PC that has ran dry. I’m just gonna say they nobody should ever run pressure cookers on high. You only need enough heat to maintain a constant hiss. For me that is about number 3 on my stove. Even if it did run dry, that is not enough heat to damage my pc or melt shit. 15 psi is 250f at sea level no matter how high or low it is. Once that water and steam is gone there is nothing to regulate the high temps of having a stove on high.

Edited by coorsmikey, 10 February 2019 - 11:58 AM.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#8 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

Did it make the rocker rock back and forth like it normally does for the entire cycle time? And did it still have water in it at the end of your run.

If you answered yes to both of these questions, you should be fine. And Mikey's advice is golden, but it doesn't hurt to get a replacement gasket before the one you have gives up the ghost completely.
no the rocker didnt move at all sadly .. there was also no water left,. id rather buy a new gasket but i dont want to buy one if its really the cooker itself that i need to replace

Edited by DaveyJonez, 09 February 2019 - 11:08 PM.

#9 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:08 PM

A warped cooker is a bomb in waiting. Get rid of it before it gets rid of you. I'm not kidding, it's dangerous if the metal warped. It's hardened aluminum, but if it runs out of water, and warps it has been weakened, and it's hardness compromFuuu

well fuck im glad you told me .. thanks

#10 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

it does however seem unlikely to be a bomb as it seems to have no real pressure build up but either way it seems i need a new one  :dry:

#11 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:13 PM

bf27862c-c4a3-496f-8c1a-1fb80301dd7a_1.b

https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=all

https://www.amazon.c...uct_top?ie=UTF8

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

You should look up an instruction manual for your pressure canner online, it will answer your questions better than we can. 

• DaveyJonez likes this

#13 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

is it worth the extra $40 for the extra space and the gauge? or should i just get another 8qt for $30?

#14 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:19 AM

Also am I correct in thinking that I could buy an 8qt and a psi gauge and pop that little black rubber plug out of the lid and replace it with the gauge? Screenshot_20190210-001804_Amazon Shopping.jpeg

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,014 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:59 AM

That little black rubber plug is the safety relief, for when something finds a way to plug the rocker vent.   It keeps it from becoming that bomb.  If you are handy with metal work, you could fit the lid with a gauge  too.  But I wouldn't give up the relief for a gauge.   A jar could break inside during a cook, and something could plug the rocker vent, so you need to keep the relief.

BTW, I have had several of that same Presto (one is a Sears, made by Presto) PC for pushing fifty years, and all of them have been stainless steel.  I don't like aluminum.  If the stainless goes dry, it's not as likely to warp.  I like to cook all kinds of things in a PC and aluminum is poison in food.

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 February 2019 - 01:06 AM.

• Cuboid and DaveyJonez like this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:04 AM

Dude, are you now, or were you in a former life ever a lemming?

#17 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:16 AM

Dude, are you now, or were you in a former life ever a lemming?

yes

#18 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:18 AM

That little black rubber plug is the safety relief, for when something finds a way to plug the rocker vent.   It keeps it from becoming that bomb.  If you are handy with metal work, you could fit the lid with a gauge  too.  But I wouldn't give up the relief for a gauge.   A jar could break inside during a cook, and something could plug the rocker vent, so you need to keep the relief.

BTW, I have had several of that same Presto (one is a Sears, made by Presto) PC for pushing fifty years, and all of them have been stainless steel.  I don't like aluminum.  If the stainless goes dry, it's not as likely to warp.  I like to cook all kinds of things in a PC and aluminum is poison in food.

Thank you i appreciate the good information

#19 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:47 AM

yes  bigger and pressure Gage  1000 times better for extra  $40

• DaveyJonez likes this

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:49 AM

That presto is the exact one I use. But Alder is correct, if you can afford a stainless steel one, those are the best.

And you really want that guage too.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 10 February 2019 - 10:49 AM.

• DaveyJonez likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!