• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:25 AM

That presto is the exact one I use. But Alder is correct, if you can afford a stainless steel one, those are the best.

And you really want that guage too.

Awesome thank you guys.. I'm gonna spend more to get a stainless one with gauge.. I have a tendency to be cheap so I appreciate the course correction
  • coorsmikey likes this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,452 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:08 PM

That presto is the exact one I use. But Alder is correct, if you can afford a stainless steel one, those are the best.

And you really want that guage too.

Though my SS Presto's haven't had gauges, they've all come cheap from thrift stores and garage sales.   What can be hard to find cheap online are the rocker weights, but I have found them at thrift stores too.  I now have one for each of my present two (a third one went away with the ex), and my two big aluminum Presto canners.  I have bought gasket and relief kits online for the SS ones, as these are still available. 

• DaveyJonez likes this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,482 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

Gauges are overrated IMO.  They are a wear item, and they will eventually drift from their calibration and fail.   Mass operated rockers use weight, gravity, and the amount of surface to surface contact to determine the level of pressure in the canner. 

The reality is the rocker style regulators are far superior to gauges, in both accuracy, and life span.  They just don't wearout.  As long as you don't physically damage them they will always maintain pressure at the same level, every time.

I like stainless for a pressure cooker, but as far as a large canner goes your going to have trouble finding one in SS.

Buffalo makes SS industrial PC's for commercial kitchens (and they also have no gauge), but they make all american canners look like a bargain deal.  I think the last time I looked at them it was like $500 for a 32qt model. 

• coorsmikey and DaveyJonez like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!