• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:23 AM

Just wanted to share this picture and ask if this looked healthy.  This is my first time growing and this particular jar seems to be growing faster than the others.  Thanks for the input.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_15851.JPG
  • IMG_15861.JPG

• Deleena24, GalenOl and Advocate4TheMT like this

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

Pics are a little blurry but I think you are good. Could be slightly bacterial, but maybe not.

If you want an easy way to check the mycelial growth, just mark the outside of the jar with a sharpie at the edge of the growth (it will wash off easily). And check the progress daily. If it is growing below the line, it is still colonizing. If it does not, then you either have a contaminated jar, or the moisture isn’t just right and that section has dried out too much.
1D8D7B46-33DB-497D-990F-9EAAC1010D7C.jpeg
  • coorsmikey, Baphom3t and Turtlegirl like this

#3 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

I was more concerned about cobweb mold than anything.  I will mark my jars and see what happens.

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

I do not see cobweb mold at all. But if there is cobweb mold in there, it outgrow the cube mycelium very quickly.
  • PJammer24 and Turtlegirl like this

#5 DreamingRaven

DreamingRaven

Seeker

• VIP
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

From what I see in the  pics it looks fine , and I'll second peacefrog's post and say if there is cobweb it will quickly outgrow the cube myc.  Cobweb grows EXTREMELY fast, I've seen it cover the outside of a bail of hay in a day...

#6 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:52 AM

Looks good to me! Did you end up prepping everything yourself or get some premade jars?

#7 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:08 AM

I hope they look good because mine look exactly the same lol
  • Turtlegirl likes this

#8 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Looks good to me! Did you end up prepping everything yourself or get some premade jars?

Since this is my very first grow I went with a kit that had the premade jars.  I've been happy about everything so far.

• SkeleDan likes this

#9 SkeleDan

SkeleDan

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

Since this is my very first grow I went with a kit that had the premade jars. I've been happy about everything so far.
Very good! I think that's a very good way to start out, lets you learn the basics without getting into too much detail.

#10 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

Since this is my very first grow I went with a kit that had the premade jars. I've been happy about everything so far.
Very good! I think that's a very good way to start out, lets you learn the basics without getting into too much detail.

Or spending tons of money before you see how it goes. 

• SkeleDan likes this

#11 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:10 PM

Kits certainly have their advantages - namely, you can reuse all the stuff if you decide to go it again, or if you don't experience success, you can try your hand at doing your own substrates.

Those jars look good to me.

:)

soliver

• Turtlegirl likes this

#12 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

05911bf37b150c2a44f2f2fab0deca42.jpg

Their looking like mine did !c92d3dfa5da2a72044e223a0c1ee821d.jpg

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 12 February 2019 - 04:33 PM.

• Deleena24, Soliver, DreamingRaven and 2 others like this

#13 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

Kits certainly have their advantages - namely, you can reuse all the stuff if you decide to go it again, or if you don't experience success, you can try your hand at doing your own substrates.

Those jars look good to me.

soliver

Exactly my thought as far as reusing the jars,etc. I should be ready to dunk in about a week or so.

#14 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

05911bf37b150c2a44f2f2fab0deca42.jpg
Their looking like mine did !c92d3dfa5da2a72044e223a0c1ee821d.jpg

Very nice.
  • Advocate4TheMT likes this

#15 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

You've got some nice mycelial clustering happening there - with the light they're getting you'll probably be seeing pins sooner than later.

Everyone has their own methods - I don't dunk before the first flush, preferring to spray the cakes with sterile water & swishing them around with sterile vermiculite, then I lay the cakes on a chunk of foil with damp vermiculite and another layer ~ 1/2 - 3/4 inch on top, that's pretty damp as well.

After a good first flush, I dunk and hope for more.

Some folks don't sterlize their vermiculite and use it straight from the bag.  I PC mine (dry) in pint jars for 30 minutes.  Some dampen it and put it in the microwave, but I'm a fan of the pressure cooker . . . something to consider if you're getting antsy and bored and want to play with the PC.

soliver

• Turtlegirl and Advocate4TheMT like this

#16 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

You've got some nice mycelial clustering happening there - with the light they're getting you'll probably be seeing pins sooner than later.

Everyone has their own methods - I don't dunk before the first flush, preferring to spray the cakes with sterile water & swishing them around with sterile vermiculite, then I lay the cakes on a chunk of foil with damp vermiculite and another layer ~ 1/2 - 3/4 inch on top, that's pretty damp as well.

After a good first flush, I dunk and hope for more.

Some folks don't sterlize their vermiculite and use it straight from the bag. I PC mine (dry) in pint jars for 30 minutes. Some dampen it and put it in the microwave, but I'm a fan of the pressure cooker . . . something to consider if you're getting antsy and bored and want to play with the PC.

soliver

I just ground them up with a cheese grater this morning and started 3 bulk setups!! Ica4b11ab4d0c5854d461a7d187dd490a.jpg

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 13 February 2019 - 03:51 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#17 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,225 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

PF as bulk innoculant is a great way to get started "beyond PF."  It's how I made the transition.  If this is your first grow, you may consider holding some of those 1/2 pints for standard PF.  Or not.  Many ways to skin this shroom.

What's your bulk substrate?

soliver

• Advocate4TheMT likes this

#18 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

PF as bulk innoculant is a great way to get started "beyond PF." It's how I made the transition. If this is your first grow, you may consider holding some of those 1/2 pints for standard PF. Or not. Many ways to skin this shroom.

What's your bulk substrate?

soliver

I need to visit “beyond PF!”
I’m using 650 grams coco coir with 4 cups of vermiculite mixed in a 5 gallon bucket with 8 cups of 170° water then sealed over night. It opens up at perfect field capacity.

This mornings project. Good times !!
https://r.tapatalk.c...!!&share_type=t

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 13 February 2019 - 05:22 PM.

• Soliver and Mechanica071 like this

#19 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

J

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 19 March 2019 - 11:00 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!