• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 darkzen15

darkzen15

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:37 PM

Oh, by myc "flurries", do you mean your making a liquid inoculent, or your using the myc for you microdosing? I just have never heard of the latter before, sounds doable. 

If you meant that you making syringes with live culture from your agar plates, that is a great way to speed up colonizing.

Sorry meant to say "slurries", autocorrect got me again. And yeh, I am using the slurry as an inoculant. It speeds up colonisation times apparently.

• peacefrog and Billcoz like this

#22 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

Oh, by myc "flurries", do you mean your making a liquid inoculent, or your using the myc for you microdosing? I just have never heard of the latter before, sounds doable. 

If you meant that you making syringes with live culture from your agar plates, that is a great way to speed up colonizing.

Sorry meant to say "slurries", autocorrect got me again. And yeh, I am using the slurry as an inoculant. It speeds up colonisation times apparently.

Yes, it will drastically increase colonization speed, sometimes cutting the time by almost half. Also, live myc is less prone to contams, as it takes hole of the substrate quicker, beating any asshole contams to it. G.L.

#23 darkzen15

darkzen15

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

Ok as an update, one of the agar plate has some growth.

What's odd is that literally only one plate out of 4 plates and 6 brf cakes is showing any growth. And in that one plate that does have growth, it's literally only one colony and it looks quite tomentous.
It's also growing quite fast. Tripled in size overnight.

Does that sound like mycelium?
  • Billcoz likes this

#24 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

Yeah as long as it's white, sometimes it's not  very rhizoey at all untill it gets further along, wait to see if the others grow. If you can, a pic would help.

Is the colony growing from the exact spot you dropped the water/myc on?

#25 darkzen15

darkzen15

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

Yeah as long as it's white, sometimes it's not very rhizoey at all untill it gets further along, wait to see if the others grow. If you can, a pic would help.

Well I inoculated wayy too much spore solution as I did not realize it was actually coming out. How does one attach a pic on this site? Imgur?

#26 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

Yeah as long as it's white, sometimes it's not very rhizoey at all untill it gets further along, wait to see if the others grow. If you can, a pic would help.

Well I inoculated wayy too much spore solution as I did not realize it was actually coming out. How does one attach a pic on this site? Imgur?

It might take a lil longer if there was too much water causing the spores to disperse on the surface, individual spores will germinate, sending out filements that "find" each other, and when two meet up, that is when myc starts to grow.

To attach a pic, go to the yellow "more reply options" button at the bottom of the reply window, then hit "choose files..." under "attach files", or drag and drop the pic onto the paper clip icon.

#27 darkzen15

darkzen15

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:12 AM

It might take a lil longer if there was too much water causing the spores to disperse on the surface, individual spores will germinate, sending out filements that "find" each other, and when two meet up, that is when myc starts to grow.

To attach a pic, go to the yellow "more reply options" button at the bottom of the reply window, then hit "choose files..." under "attach files", or drag and drop the pic onto the paper clip icon.

started new thread here with pics: https://mycotopia.ne...-contamination/

Edited by darkzen15, 16 February 2019 - 04:12 AM.

• Cuboid likes this

#28 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:16 AM

1 spore can germinate and grow mycelium (monokaryotic, which will not produce fruit). But in the case of most of the higher fungi we grow, you need multiple compatibile monokaryotic myceilum to make clamp connections in order to turn it into dikaryotic mycelium, which will produce fruit.

#29 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

1 spore can germinate and grow mycelium (monokaryotic, which will not produce fruit). But in the case of most of the higher fungi we grow, you need multiple compatibile monokaryotic myceilum to make clamp connections in order to turn it into dikaryotic mycelium, which will produce fruit.

Okay thanks, I shoulda said that myc might grow monokaryotically but not fruit.

• peacefrog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!