• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

Only a little, for a little while. Until I notice my third flush is better than the second, about thirteen grams dry of those few nice ones. Could just fit them in a baggy.

My clone adventures continue with development, showing contaminations on two of eight dishes. Two tiny spots on one dish that looks bacterial and something that looks like fungi of some kind with a more flakey pattern, lightly white.. Mycelial growth on bacterial is okay, but have back up, on that other one it's stalling anyways and also back up dish for that one. Will it be worth getting in on those contaminated dishes? I'll wait until it develops, until the other ones are definitely alright.
  • Billcoz likes this

#62 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

Making new dishes now to get on those clones. Made a mistake in preparing the dishes last time so hopefully I can eliminate some contamination risk.. didn't cover up the dishes at sterilization so they weren't dry! Now nice and cosy in some foil.

Something I noticed: I recently bought some agar powder for petris, it's much cleaner (less brown) than the food grade type I used last time and also just now. Not important, just something I noticed, also my agar not looking as clear as expected when not using honey but dextrose now.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 29 March 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#63 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Almost perfect.

Attached Thumbnails

• C8A565BD-0FC6-43C8-B215-3C931A489914.jpeg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 29 March 2019 - 04:54 PM.

#64 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

OCD kicked in and told me:

Perfect?

The camera angle is all wrong!
They lean to left and could be stacked a tiny bit better!
The SAB is at an off angle and the plates aren't centered on the access hole!
  • Cuboid, Billcoz and RutgerHauer like this

#65 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

Of course, nothing is perfect. Also, almost is almost never really almost, but rather not really.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 29 March 2019 - 06:13 PM.

• Billcoz likes this

#66 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:47 PM

Perfect? That's a leaning tower of petris.

#67 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:12 AM

I like that kind of perfect.
  • Billcoz likes this

#68 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Not so perfect was the smell of my tray of GT. It stinked so took it out. Probably time.
  • Billcoz likes this

#69 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Not so perfect was the smell of my tray of GT. It stinked so took it out. Probably time.

Ha, my whole upstairs smells like mushrooms. Subs do start to smell bad after a few flushes, but I love that mushroom smell.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#70 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

I love the smell of fruiting mushrooms too!

Here's a picture of the first flush on my last tray, from a different perspective. I made it with my camera but couldn't connect the thing to my device until now. Happy to be able to share better pictures from now on!

Attached Thumbnails

• A2D67D92-188B-4C79-80A4-DD2EF54648CF.jpeg

• Billcoz likes this

#71 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

Nice flush Rutger. My god damn phone completely died and that was my only camera, and as you might have noticed from my thread topics, I am a low budget dude, so it might be quite a while before I get a new one. I actually have a land line in the house if you can believe that. I have some nice 2nd flushes I would like to have posted, also an agar jar with some funny looking myc I wanted some reassurance about, oh well, hope I'm not transferring mold myc lol.

Edited by Billcoz, 03 April 2019 - 05:11 PM.

#72 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:20 AM

I bought a second hand camera just for this purpose. Was cheap enough.. It's also something people have lying around doing nothing with, since everybody just uses their phone nowadays.

#73 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

I don't even have a pc cam lol. I'm pretty sure my agar dish has "good" myc in it, not a mold. It's rhizoey and nice and white, it just looks a little different than the other strains' myc I have grown out on agar, this is the first time I have done this strain(blue meanie) on agar, only pf jars, and the myc in those looked like that, thin rhizomorphic filaments and bright white. I'm gonna let it run the plate and take some transfers and do small test batches and find a the best isolate the old fashion way. I don't need to be growing out a lot of fruits right now, so I want to play with agar for a while and get good at isolating genetics. 

Edited by Billcoz, 04 April 2019 - 05:56 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#74 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:12 AM

I have the same mindset at the moment, not looking for big batches per se but mainly dialing things in and trying everything out. That said, sometimes it's useful to dial in a big grow as well I guess. Few days ago did some transfers of my clones, they all took hold and started colonizing the plates. It's good stuff!

I saw the topic you commented on with a similar issue as yours. Didn't necessarily look like mold to me in that picture..
  • Billcoz likes this

#75 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

Yeah I'm not sure about the cakes in the other post, mine looks whiter and is definitely mush myc.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#76 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

Put my first agar wedges into some popcorn, prepared with coffee and gypsum. It was the only dish that was viable to do a test grow from after transfers. This was a clone from a random cluster of small/medium mushrooms.

Fifth day now, lower temperatures so it's still growing pretty quick considering - I used one agar dish on three pint jars. Here are two of them that look nice.

Attached Thumbnails

• B39DAD40-E195-4B83-A429-1AB158E9A3EE.jpeg

• Cuboid and Billcoz like this

#77 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

Cool Rutger, I love dropping agar wedges on popcorn. When I have a lot of plates I'll take small transfers from the best sectors from each plate, then slice em up like pizzas and slide the blade around the edge to loosen it and drop the whole thing in a 3/4 full pint, they will colonize in 6-8 days. 

• RutgerHauer likes this

#78 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

I did exactly that because of you saying that somewhere else.. I thought it would be economical to use three jars instead.

I see the coffee and gypsum powder has helped the mycelium/agar to spread from the shake at inoculation. Mycelium growing all over the glass of the jars where coffee grounds stuck.

Will do this clone test grow in a 2 quart plastic tray, with some vermiculite in the mix to try a REZ effect thingy, basically. Probably use a filter bag as FC.

I am now preparing twelve jars of popcorn without coffee/gypsum to do a grain to grain transfer from 6 small jars of Cambodian, should be reported on in a different thread, will do that in time. I used my DIY colander for bulk corn drying, and it does its job nicely. Gonna be a big one!

Attached Thumbnails

• CIMG4163.JPG
  • CIMG4166.JPG

Edited by RutgerHauer, 12 April 2019 - 09:42 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#79 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:26 AM

Three more pictures of the clone inoculated from agar.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8B0C0084-69AE-4B22-A544-301F0D0FE649.jpeg
  • 295D538D-FF6B-4568-ACB1-13BD498ECC75.jpeg
  • A0FC11A1-1087-45D3-B0A7-D8DC5D9882C3.jpeg

• Billcoz likes this

#80 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

Update on the agar transfers, and a question about them. I need help of experienced agar freaks.

I had three clones left:

#1: made three transfers, all doing good, have grown over the plates for about 80%.

#2: made two transfers, same results as above.

#4: made two transfers, one of them clean, the other has a few white bacterial spots in the middle of the plate, but is fully overgrown with mycelium. Both at 70-80%.

Seeing that I have two plates of all clones, except for that one contaminated, I think I need not transfer again. I can use one of two to do a test grow and save the other ones in my fridge.

What to do about the 'contaminated' plate? I figure the mycelium has it under control - but can this be used better to store to do transfers sometime in the future or would it be wise to save the uncontaminated one and use the contaminated to do a test grow (maybe cut out the contam)?

Attached Thumbnails

• 9FB0255C-AEDF-4EE2-BAF8-D8B99209E865.jpeg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!