• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:12 PM

Any ideas how to get rid of these without using weed killer? Using that stuff isn't an option. From what I understand if I do pull them up they'll likely be back next year. I've looked on youtube and found using weed killers, but that isn't an option. Thinking maybe someone here might have a better solution.

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,482 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Where is the wild onion and garlic growing that you don't want it?   Garden, flower beds, lawn....?

If you can till up, and cultivate the soil and plant a prolific cover crop that will choke out the offenders for season or two, that will often work.

#3 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

All of it is on my lawn. Can you expand a bit on cultivating my soil and planting a prolific crap please?

Ok - I was going to edit, but it made me laugh, so I'm going to let it stand. 

Edited by Wimzers, 14 February 2019 - 06:38 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,455 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

https://www.youtube....=food not lawns

• Juthro and Wimzers like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,482 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

First off, its cover crop, not cover crap.....  :)

It is planting a plant that will physiclay take over to point of choking out competitors ability to use sun and access the soil.  Cultivating is the mechanical rearranging the soil.  Think rototilling or plowing.  Tilling, and a separate cover crop isn't a very suitable plan for lawns.

IMHO the best thing you can do for lawns is to grow them thick and healthy so that they become your cover crop.  If your lawn is thick and healthy there will be no room for weeds to grow.   I recommend dethatching, and plugging the area.  Followed with a generous top dressing of fresh grass seed, and some fertilizer.

Edited by Juthro, 14 February 2019 - 06:10 PM.

• Wimzers likes this

#6 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:37 PM

I like this idea. Would take more knowledge than what I have right now, but giving to the community would be great. Would benefit myself, but the space would have more than enough to benefit others. The knowledge of how to make it work is what I lack. I could see this growing into helping many other people. Thank you.

First off, its cover crop, not cover crap.....  :)

It is planting a plant that will physiclay take over to point of choking out competitors ability to use sun and access the soil.  Cultivating is the mechanical rearranging the soil.  Think rototilling or plowing.  Tilling, and a separate cover crop isn't a very suitable plan for lawns.

IMHO the best thing you can do for lawns is to grow them thick and healthy so that they become your cover crop.  If your lawn is thick and healthy there will be no room for weeds to grow.   I recommend dethatching, and plugging the area.  Followed with a generous top dressing of fresh grass seed, and some fertilizer.

I'm going to explore growing. My land is on a slope, so it will take some doing, but would be worthwhile. 

• Juthro likes this

#7 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:47 PM

First accept that they'll always be there. Lol.

Then dig them out. Have to actually dig, not pull. Lime the yard. They love acidic ph. In a couple seasons you can greatly reduce the population.
  • Juthro and Wimzers like this

#8 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Wimzers, depending on where your location is, our local Masters Gardeners hosts an annual plant sale once a year. The proceeds from the sale allow them to pay presenters for the local community public speakers. This might be an option to get the plants dug out and still be beneficial to someone else. When this has been done on the past, the Master Gardeners will not leave it a war zone, all holes will be filled in and leveled so you can throw grass seed or whatever you like.

GLP

• Wimzers likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!